Skip to main content

Unable to login to network share from MacBook Pro - SOLVED

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 13

I am trying to use Acronis True Image 2018 to backup (full) my mac macBook Pro to either a share on Wd MyCloud or a share on my iMac or to a share on a GoFlexHome.  It makes no difference where the target is, the problem is the same.

First, the problem IS NOT accessing the file share. From the macBookPro I can browse to the share on any of the targets, I have access to read/write.  

From Acronis I can browse to the share regardless of where it is located but then am prompted to enter login/password.  Having done that I get a list of the available shares of the target share.  After I select one folder I then get prompted for login/password.

It is here that I see failure. There seems to be no combination of login/password that will progress beyond this point. It would seem reasonable that the login/password used to access the list of available shares should be the one to access a selected folder, but alas no.

I would appreciate some suggestions or fix.

PS: I see that if I click on preview there is no option to then save/edit etc.  I had to use back arrow, a rather unusual way to submit forum posts. (Safari 11.0.1)

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21411

Richard, welcome to these User Forums.

I am not able to offer you any explanation or solution to the network credentials issue you are describing in this topic.  I, like the majority of the users in this forum, am a Windows user and do not see any such issues in the ATI 2018 Windows product, plus I use Google Chrome when posting to the forum where I have been able to use Preview fine.

You may wish to raise the question in the dedicated ATI for Mac Forum where other Mac users may be able to respond to you with more positive information, or else, please open a Support Case direct with Acronis for this issue.  All 2018 users now get up to 2 years support from date of purchase.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Thank you Steve.  The credentials issue is not new. I did find a similar issue reported with a much older version of TI, but no solution posted.

I'll follow up by opening a support case.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8017

Richard,

When you get that second logon prompt you might try just closing the prompt and continuing on.  Do not select Connect or test connection at this point.  Just continue on with your backup task setup.  once you have completed the task run it and see if you are prompted once again for credentials.

In reply to by Enchantech

Beginner

Thanks.

Unfortunately the login window cannot be closed other than by entering credentials. Clicking the Guest option fails without any message (on Mac the window shakes). The registered user option does the same regardless of what credentials are entered.

Forum Hero

I can only suggest that you open a support case for the issue.  Your problem is the first I have seen posted here so thie may be a one off thing.

Beginner

Further to my previous post I have found that I can reproduce the problem without using network at all.  Here is how. 

Macbook Pro is running Acronis True Image 2018 and Parallels 12.x with a Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit guest.  The Windows has drive C: and Drive D:

Windows 7 has the same user Name/id and password as MacBook Pro

From MacBook Pro using Finder I can browse to drive D: on the virtual windows where I have read/write access without any credentials being requested or used.

Now I run Acronis, under backup click change destination, click browse, browse to same folder on virtual drive D, click open.

Acronis immediately requests login credentials. Trying to connect as guest fails, trying to connect as user fails.

There is no network traffic, The nature of the NAS system is irrelevant as it is not being used.

This is not a network issue per se, it is an Acronis issue on OSX??????

I have opened a support case with Acronis.  The reply was to get network logs etc etc. All now irrelevant.  I have forwarded this additional information to them for consideration.

Forum Hero

Thanks for the update.  Please continue with them for the benefit of other users.

In reply to by Enchantech

Beginner

I am feeling quite frustrated with the tests I am being asked to do.  I am convinced that we are searching for a solution in the wrong place.

The latest test is to create a new windows shared folder with everyone read/write access.  Done

Start a new backup test and browse to the new share, use Windows credentials when prompted. Done, but done better than asked.

In the browse window, having browsed to the newly created folder I clicked on the new folder button, and not surprisingly was able to create a new folder.  Then on clicking OK I am asked for credentials which are not accepted.

Therefore it is clear that Acronis does not need credentials at all because it already has write access to the share.  The problem is about why and how Acronis is asking for credentials and what it does with them.  Need to look at the code and find out why it is asking for credentials that it does not need. Perhaps a debug logging version of ATI2018 can be provided so as to give sensible feedback.

Attachment Size
432572-141020.png 294.09 KB
Forum Hero
Comments: 8337

What version of Mac are you running?  10.12.5 and upward introduced a new "behavior" with SMB shares that now requires you to authenticate to them with

smb://username:@server.domain.name/sharename

and even that doesn't seem to always work.  There are a lot of user complaints about this in various Mac forums like:

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/25564/macos-high-sierra-10-13-0-smb-mount-drive-issue

Maybe not related here since you're having issues with a share on your iMac too, but wanted to mention it since it killed access to NTFS shares on our network until we found this work-a-round, but it's still hit or miss.

Also, I'm seeing a "known issue" in the latest release notes for connecting to shares - might be related in someway, but really can't say

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/updates/changes.html?p=40697

I hope they make more progress with your case and can find the root of the issue soon!

Forum Hero

Richard,

Not sure but maybe this might help.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/120413

Beginner

Thank you to Bobbo and Enchantech for suggestions.  I am running OSX 10.12.6, intending to upgrade to  High Sierra if I can ever get a decent backup from Acronis.  My sons MacBook hard drive was killed by a High Sierra upgrade that failed, significant data loss. There is a time machine backup but apparently not readable, Apple support not helping much!!!!

I fear the suggestions do not help for my issue.  SMB shares have been problematic for a while.  Out of interest my iMac has just been upgraded to High Sierra and most of my share connectivity issues have significantly reduced, poor performance and connection speed being the most serious. 

In my case I can see the shares whether they be AFS or SMB. Indeed from within Acronis I can create a new folder on the selected share BEFORE Acronis requests credentials.  

The know issue (Bobbo) is listed as being an issue with Acronis Windows, not Mac although who knows? 

The very latest suggestion from support is to reinstall the latest build, that is the one I am already using, freshly installed immediately prior to reporting the issue.

Then if issue continues to upload a system report, a PCAP report and details of the NAS.

I really despair.  This is along the line of telling a user to reboot Windows again, and if that does not work to reboot Windows again, if that does not work then reboot . . . . . . .

I am wondering if Acronis support can read. I have already provided evidence that the issue can be demonstrated without any network connectivity, using a shared virtual windows drive THAT I CAN write to from within Acronis.  PCAP report contains no packets.  I am not using NAS.

The key points that seem to escape Acronis support are:

1. Acronis can write to the selected share BEFORE Acronis requests credentials. 

2. The issue has been shown to occur without using any network.

Acronis support is the worst I have ever come across!!!!! This issue needs escalating.  And I have asked for escalation twice.  But I get, re-install the latest build . . . . . 

Please, please, please Acronis read the feedback I am giving about this issue.

Legend

Richard, send a PM to Renata Gubaydullina | Product manager, Acronis True Image along with your Support Case details and ask her to get this reviewed by Acronis second level or someone with greater experience.

Beginner

Thanks Steve.  I'll do that.

Beginner

Update: I did not need todo the PM. I have now heard from Acronis Support Management and they have offered to review this case, prioritise it and have a support engineer contact me as soon as possible.  I am now hopeful that I can work with Acronis to get a resolution.

I will post updates as and when.

Thank you Acronis Support Management

Legend

Richard, good to read your update, hope all now progresses to a satisfactory resolution for you.

In reply to by Richard Wilkinson

Beginner
Comments: 4

Hello Richard, I am having the same problem. I have multiple Macs and am trying to backup an external disk on one Mac to a new external disk on another Mac. True Image keeps asking me for the username and password for the destination. Good luck and please do report back.

Beginner

Hi Jonathan,

Its good to know I’m not alone!!!!  Working with Acto is but progress delayed. I’m between internet providers and suffering the problems that so often occur. 

I will report back as Social n as I have a resolution. 

Beginner

Update as promised.  Some good news and some bad news.  The good news. I am now able to get Acronis to back up to 4 of my 5 remote network share locations.  The bad news. I cannot explain why I can connect now but could not before.

No user id's or passwords have been changed.  No O/S upgrades have been done (Mac OSX Sierra). Steps within Acronis are as before.  I am perplexed!!!  I have not had further contact with Acronis support although they are willing and waiting for me.  Reasons are many, I have just changed ISP and had loads of issues with my own network.  My new ISP provided a "Smart Hub" but IMHO it is anything but smart!!! It has been changed to an Asus DSL-AC68U.  I've just run out of time, caring for my disabled wife is the priority.  So in summary:

GoFlexHome will connect

WDMyCloud will connect

iMac remote share will connect

Browsing to location will connect

OpenMediaVault will NOT connect. (Debian Linux based file server)  This may be permission based but I am not experienced on Linux and don't have time to test further at the moment.

And Jonathan, I presume that you have set read/Write permissions on your remote Mac disc shares? Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.  

I hope that I will have time to get back to the OMV connection issue in the future.  Thanks top all who have tried to help with this problem.

Forum Hero

The link HERE

may provide some guidance on permissions with OpenMediaVault.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I realize this is an old thread but I ran into the exact same issue just now with Acronis 2020. The problem doesn't manifest on my PC. After spending a few hours trying to fix it, I decided to try changing my NAS password. I was using a long pw originally, which again, had no issues on my PC. I changed the PW to be 20 characters long, and all of a sudden, Acronis on my Mac worked instantly. So maybe if someone runs into this again in the future, try a shorter length password for your NAS? Seems like a bug between the different OS versions.

Beginner

Thank you Enchantec and Jef. Yes, an old thread but I have just raised a ticket on the same subject again. This time I’m running TI in a virtual windows on my Mac. Again authenticating from windows to a Mac based file share is failing. 

In my case password is short. I’m in dialogue with Acronis and waiting for an answer to questions I have raised. 

Min the meantime I am continuing to “research” the issue and I think I have the solution. 

I will post update after I hear from Acronis

Beginner

Update & Solution

I have now heard from Acronis support.  Their answer was to inform me that TI is only supported on real physical discs so running in virtual environment is not supported so no further help or assistance offered.

They then say that I should install TI on the Mac and back up the entire Mac including the virtual machine. To restore VM files I would need to recover the entire VM. That is not a practical or sensible way forward. In my case I have a 100Gb VM sitting on a 1Tb Mac. So besides the wasted time backing up 1Tb there is a issue with where to bring back the VM unless it overwrites the original and just now I don't trust TI that much.

Ok then. But I am still disappointed that they choose not to follow up on an issue that is clearly not caused by a virtual environment.

In the meantime I have continued my research into the authentication issue. I have always believed that it is just that, an authentication issue, nothing to do with permissions or read/write access to the share.  Indeed, under the browse option in TI it is possible to create a new destination folder on a shared folder BEFORE authentication is requested.  I recalled a similar access problem when I first upgraded to Windows 7, certain shared folders were accessible while others were not.

I have worked out a way to reliably access a shared Mac folder and also my other NAS shared folders.  I believe that the authentication issue is likely to occur in other versions of Windows above and including Windows 7 but I have not tested these.

The steps I have used are as follows

Step 1

Locate Windows hosts file at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.  Add entries for servers where shared folders are located.

The location for my Mac shared folder can be found under settings - sharing - computer name

For me it is "Computers on your local network can access your computer at: MyMac"

Then get ip address by pinging from Mac Terminal

So I have the following.  This is not essential but I find it easier to use names rather that ip addresses.

192.168.0.xx GoFlex_Home

192.168.0.xx WdMyCloud

192.168.0.xx OMV-Primrose

10.211.55.x  MyMac

Step 2

Set Windows Local Security Settings using Local Group Policy Editor

Go to Computer Settings - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options

Then find "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"

For windows 7 the default setting is undefined and this is likely the cause of failed authentication.

I found that the best setting to access my NAS and Mac was

"Send NTLMv2 responses only. Refuse LM & NTLM"

There is plenty of info on LAN Manager Authentication, Google is your friend.  My NAS devices include old technology using Samba 1, 2 & 3 hence I think the difficulty in authenticating.

Step 3

In Acronis TI for a new backup use the browse option and enter the location in the Back up to entry box.  So I use \\MyMac\LocBucket.  Then when asked enter authentication settings and, for me, it works!!!!!

I have found that having authenticated for a shared location and then completed a successful backup a second backup at the same share location does not request authentication.

Maybe this will help other TI users.