Skip to main content

Using TI 2018 - How To Move Backups To New Drive

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

I currently use one external drive for my backup. That drive is starting to show signs of age, and I'd like to move everything to a new drive, including all the existing backups and history as well as having the existing backup jobs point to the new drive.

Please do not mention the "Move" command in any response without explaining in detail how to accomplish the above with it. The Move documentation and screens are extremely uninformative and don't explain much, if anything, about this.

Thanks in advance for your help and possible links. I have searched the forums and found only general answers for previous versions that don't seem to match what I see when clicking Move or to provide much detail.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17944

Peter, welcome to these User Forums.

Please see the ATIH 2018 User Guide: Backup operations menu which gives the following description of the Move option in the drop-down menu for any backup task in the GUI.

Move - click to move all the backup files to another location. The subsequent backup versions will be saved to the new location.

If you change the backup destination by editing the backup settings, only new backup versions will be saved to the new location. The earlier backup versions will remain in the old location.

The actual process here is straight-forward to use.

First, connect the current backup drive that holds the backup files.

Next, connect the new backup drive that will be the target for the move operation and create any new target folder on that drive.  Make a note of the drive letter allocated to the new drive.
Note: I would recommend opening Windows Disk Management and allocating a drive letter that is lower down the alphabet so the new drive will keep the same drive letter each time it is connected.

Now, in the ATIH 2018 GUI, select the Move option for your backup task then select the new drive (and folder) for where the files should be moved to, then go ahead and perform the move operation.  ATI will move the files plus will update the Acronis Database with details of the new location in order to preserve your backup history etc.  Note: the move process can take some time to complete depending on the size of data and speed of transfer etc.

At the end of the move process, the GUI task should show the new destination location.

Beginner

Thank you very much for your extended reply.

The problem I have is that I don't see any moving of existing files take place. The MOVE command does seem to change the backup task destination to the new drive, and subsequent backup runs do use it, but none of the older backups on the previous drive seem to get moved. They're still on the old drive, and not on the new drive, and as nearly as I can tell, Acronis doesn't initiate any action to change that - no task initiated or scheduled, no error messages or any messages at all.

Legend

Peter, can you give some more details of your old and new drives for this move question?  How are these connected etc?

I tried this myself but was only moving between 2 different partitions at that time.  There is no separate task or scheduled action involved here.  When I did my test, I simply got a panel showing the status of the move action which took a fair time due to the backups involved being over 20GB in size, but it was obvious that the move was being performed and all the files were moved from my source partition to the target one (and back again later too!).

I am wondering if the way your drives are connected, i.e. are any remote network drives involved?  Whether this makes a difference to how move works?  Also what is the size of backup data involved and the sizes of the 2 drives, including how much free space?

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

The additional detail is good, but I don't think I'm going to pursue this any further. I've already taken backups on the new drive, and it's too much trouble to try and change things back to try to reproduce or avoid the problem. I'll keep the old backups on the old drive for now, and in the unlikely event I need to use one, hope I can copy it and add it then.

FWIW, both external drives were USB 3.0 attached, though from different manufacturers. The backups were large, but not huge, and there should have been plenty of available space for them on the new drive.

It's likely the MOVE didn't work because I'd already changed something in my initial fumbles at trying to understand the MOVE command. (Do you know it never actually says the display of folders and drives you see after you click on MOVE is there so you can click on one as the new destination of the backup, and it lets you click on a folder on the original drive without telling you that's what you've done.)

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure any of my future attempts to use MOVE will go more smoothly. 

Legend

Peter, thank you for the update and feedback, hope all continues to run OK for you.

Regular Poster
Comments: 131

I am just a simple user of TI 2018, I make two full images a week, I don't bother with Incremental or Differential. A few times I have moved a TIB file with my File Manager from my external USB 3 drive to my internal 'D' drive and restored from there, worked perfectly. Maybe I am missing the point, I believe in the KISS principle.

Legend

Peter L, the OP was asking about the Move option in the ATI GUI that can be used to move all the backup files for a task to a new Destination location, all within the control of ATI so that both the GUI, the task script and the database are updated to reflect the changed location of files.

Forum Member
Comments: 19

I recently attempted to move a backup to a location on another drive using the Move option inside TrueImage.  I experienced the same issue posted about earlier in the thread.  It was a full backup with a file size of around 2TB.  The destination drive had >5TB of free space.  After starting the move process the progress bar showed up on the screen indicating that the move was happening.  I went to bed expecting to find the file moved in the morning.  The next day the activity tab indicated that the backup had been moved without issue.  But the file was still located on the old drive.  Furthermore, the backup destination was still identified as being on the original drive.  

I tried to move the backup again.  But this time I was at the computer for the full duration of the process.  The status bar got to the end indicating that the move operation had been completed and the activity tab identified that the backup had been successfully relocated.  But once again the file had not actually been moved.  At this point I gave up and did a full backup to the new drive instead.

Legend

Where was the destination location before and after the move operation for the backup?

I have just tested doing a Move again and all worked as expected but for my test the destination was on a local partition and the move destination was to an external USB HDD drive.

Beginner
Comments: 2

I have a related question...If I move the backups to a new USB hard drive, do I need to create a new Rescue DVD or USB flash drive?  It's not clear to me how the Rescue DVD or USB flash drive finds the Backup drive (which, in my case, is on a (almost full) USB hard drive - hence the need to move backups to a new 8 TB USB drive)

(Right now, one of my computers (the one above) will not boot normally because its MBR was somehow damaged - which brings up another question: If I boot from the rescue DVD, it brings up the Windows 10, despite the fact that the MBR is trashed. How does it do that?)

Legend

BigIronPgmr wrote:

I have a related question...If I move the backups to a new USB hard drive, do I need to create a new Rescue DVD or USB flash drive?  It's not clear to me how the Rescue DVD or USB flash drive finds the Backup drive (which, in my case, is on a (almost full) USB hard drive - hence the need to move backups to a new 8 TB USB drive)

(Right now, one of my computers (the one above) will not boot normally because its MBR was somehow damaged - which brings up another question: If I boot from the rescue DVD, it brings up the Windows 10, despite the fact that the MBR is trashed. How does it do that?)

There should be no need to create a new Rescue DVD or USB drive.  When booted from this media, you need to navigate to where your backups are located using the panels shown in the offline ATI application.

The rescue DVD is in essence replacing the Windows Boot mechanism that would normally launch your Windows OS.

See webpage: Repairing A Broken Bootloader Or Master Boot Record In Windows 7, 8, And 10 for information on solving the damaged MBR.

Forum Member
Comments: 25

Same problem I try to move the backup using the "▼Move..."  but it doesn't move and the destination doesn't change. The Activity log says "Backup was moved to \\Computer\Backups\MyComputer" (names changed) I have tried it several times.

Acronis says "Calculating time remaining" but after about a minute goes back to the normal Backup screen.

I also validated the backup and tried again. Both the original location and the required location are network shares not using a drive letter. The desired location is a subdirectory of a location with three exisiting backup subdirectories for other machines.

Legend

Richard, I know that the move option works with local destinations but I have never tried this with all non-mapped network shares, and am not in a position where I could try this at present.

I suspect that Acronis needs to already have established credentials for the new network destination for the move command, so if you are not being prompted to provide these, then this is probably a 'bug' (in terms of a scenario the developers haven't coded for).

If you create a new backup task to the move destination (even for a single folder), then this should provide the needed credentials for the move action.

Beginner
Comments: 1

As Richard above has indicated the "Move" command does not seem to work on network shares from a NAS device. I suspect it never has seeing this query though a number of versions and now being displayed in the all new 2020 version. Steve seems to believe there maybe a "credentials" issue and this could well be true since the program does not seem to "cache" credentials between processes. This may be by design. It should however at lest prompt for it. The errors maybe in the logs somewhere, but I'm not enough of a sysadmin geek to dig it out. I'm going to just cut and past the most recent old backup chain into the new location. LOL. 

Legend

Douglas, another user did report success in moving their backups to a new NAS recently (in the ATI 2020 forum methinks?) but the process they followed was to copy all the backups from their old NAS to the new NAS first, then use the Move option for the backup task in the GUI which then was happy to find the backups in the new NAS location.

The alternative approach would be to use the Delete option for the backup task in the GUI but only remove the task settings (not the files), copy the backup files outside of ATI, then use the option to 'Add existing backup' picking the most recent .tib file from the new NAS location, followed by reconfiguring the task settings and running either a new backup or validation.