Skip to main content

Very concerned - Failed to backup file or folder error

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

Windows 10.  TI2018 with latest update.

I had set up an incremental backup selecting a number of folders, including C:\Users.  During the backup, I got two errors, which I had to ignore for the backup to proceed to completion.  The error was:

Failed to backup file or folder "C:\Users\***\".

I thought this must have been due to an open file.  Why would it not be possible to backup a folder?

My assumption was that everything was ok.

However, I then created a folder and a file in the above folder and ran an incremental.  Got the errors again.  When attempting to restore, the new files where not available to select.

I also noticed that the "Saved Games" folder under my user profile folder had never been backed up.  What else might be missing?!

My user account is a local user account with admin rights.

Needless to say, this is extremely concerning.  I am now in a situation where I have no confidence that my backups are valid.

I'm sorry to say, having used TI 11 for many years, during which it never failed me; my first impressions of this product are highly disappointing.  E.g. there is no ability to access full logs from the interface(!), and it is not possible to delete specific backup instances(!).  That these features are missing is beyond belief.  Now my backups are in doubt,  I wonder whether I should even carry on using this product.   Hopefully I'm missing something, and it's just user error.

From the log:

10/06/2018 11:03:25: 00 9716 E0004000C: Failed to back up file or folder 'C:\Users\***\'. It may be blocked by another application.
The file is read-only. (0x4000C)
function = "OpenFileW",
path = "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3\Users\***\OneDrive",
$module = "ti_demon_vs_11530"
winnt_dir::iterator::GetInodeInfo:
c:\bs_hudson\workspace\332\core\file\windows\winnt_dir.cpp(1,474)
The media is write protected (0xFFF0)
code = 80070013),
$module = "ti_demon_vs_11530"
Common::Error::AddWindowsError:
c:\bs_hudson\workspace\332\core\common\error.cpp(307) : None

(I have replaced my user name with *** above).

I have created a job to backup the entire disk instead, and this does not produce the same error.  Hopefully these are to be relied on.  I will be checking.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 19296

John, your log data shows that you are hitting the known issue with backing up OneDrive folders which has been reported many times in these forums.

See the sticky topic in this forum: Windows 10 Build 1803: Error when backing up OneDrive folder which has more information but note that Acronis have not yet produced a fix for this issue.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi Steve.  Thank you for responding.  Still, I have to wonder, if the OneDrive folder is the issue, why is it not mentioned in the dialog box that pops up?  As it happens, I don't have any files I care about in the OneDrive folder.  My main concern is that a number of unrelated and random files and folders which are outside of the OneDrive folder were not backed up, and they were not mentioned in the error log.

The article advises excluding the OneDrive folder from the backup, I presume that this should be done from the Exclusions tab (rather than from the backup source selection)?

As stated, I have rearranged my backups so that I am now not running a files and folder backup of C:, and running a full disk backup instead.  So far, no errors, and all looks good.

Legend
Comments: 19296

John, OneDrive is mentioned in your log file data you posted above.

10/06/2018 11:03:25: 00 9716 E0004000C: Failed to back up file or folder 'C:\Users\***\'. It may be blocked by another application.
The file is read-only. (0x4000C)
function = "OpenFileW",
path = "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3\Users\***\OneDrive",

Unfortunately there are hidden links to the folder that turn up in different places, including in the Snapshot data being collected for your backup (HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy3) - all of this started with changes to how OneDrive is implemented in the Windows 10 Autumn Update with the push of its Files On Demand feature to users.