Skip to main content

Why in the world did you force this GD active protection on people?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 6

Have serial numbers from 2008 and have installed thousands of Acronis copies through the good and bad times.

This 2018 garbage takes the cake. Even if you disable and stop the AP service a GD ballon will popup telling the user active protection is off.

If we deploy 2018 even with AP totally disabled with any machine running Sophos Endpoint with IE it will cause a major problem with the machine such as you cant even click the start button.

Why does an imaging vendor feel the need to do this. It is so GD frustratign when you look at knowledge base and it says if AP borks the machine just redo the machine!!

You guys are tools!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 23402

Welcome to these User Forums.

We are not Acronis staff, nor developers etc, not paid by Acronis but are users the same as you are.

If you have a complaint or objection to how Acronis have designed their latest ATI 2018 application, then please either use the Feedback tool provided within the GUI, or else open a Support Case direct with Acronis.

See KB 60193: Acronis True Image 2018: Active Protection blocks legitimate applications which may help you to address the issue mentioned with Sophos Endpoint, assuming that you wish to try to whitelist this application.

See also KB 60190: Acronis True Image 2018: how to disable Active Protection in Windows but please understand that this document does not mention the need to also stop and disable the Acronis Active Protection Service which is also necessary to do in order to fully stop this feature.

Beginner

Thanks for trying

The point is this product should not have Active Protection. It is an imaging product not an AV product.

It is not Sophos causing issues with Acronis its Acronis causing problems with Sophos. The GD program still runs and pops ups user notification even when the GD service is disabled.

Stupid stupid bastards, I would love to know what suit thought this was a good idea. Cant you just do the GD image and be happy MFER@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Frequent Poster
Comments: 463

Hi Mr. Beginner,

I have the Active Protection turned off and the service disabled and I do not receive any such pop ups.

Same for 3 computers... no alerts no trouble.

TI 2018 just runs and does exactly what I ask of it, make reliable backup images of entire disks, partitions and files/folders.  Backups and Restores have been tested on used drives/new drives and all seems to work without any trouble.  I have yet to see a pop-up wanting me to do something with AP.  

I'm sure the great bunch of MVP's here on the forum could assist you in fixing your install of the program. 

In any case, I hope you can get it repaired.

Regards,

Steve F.  

Beginner

Can they help me with three thousand users that cant click on the GD start button because my image vendor wants to be a GD AV vendor?

Legend

In all honesty, if you have 3000 users all with ATI 2018 installed, then you are using the wrong application here.  ATI is a Home / Small business user product, not a Business product intended for that scale of deployment.  There are Acronis Business products better suited to such a deployment and with better overall management features.

Sorry but I have no idea what 'the GD start button' is in this context?

Beginner

I did not say they are business users. That is many thousands more

When you have Acronis 18 already installed and then Sophos does their latest update/upgrade you get the fun of not being able to press the God Dam start button in Windows 10. It does not react at all until Acronis is uninstalled completely. It doesnt matter if the service is on or off it still interferes. Its a perfect storm to get fked very hard because the God dam image vendor wants to be a God Dam AV vendor.

Whoever thought this was a good idea please stab yourself in the forehead with a fork.

Frequent Poster
Comments: 463

Mr. Beginner,

WOW....

You definitely need some help... Pretty sure it is NOT Volunteer or Acronis assistance you need...

With that attitude and cursing, life may be a bit tough for you.

But,  Good Luck, you'll probably need it.

Regards, Steve F.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8379

Hmm, I'm puzzled.  First you say that Acronis conflicts with Sophos Endpoint which causes the Windows start button not to function.  Then you say that with Acronis and Sophos installed if Sophos gets an update it borks the start button!

So which is it?  Sounds to me like it is a Sophos update that hoses Windows.  It also sounds like you uninstalled Acronis and cleared the problem, why did you not uninstall Sophos instead to see if that fixed things?  That seems to me to be much more logical if in fact it was a Sophos update that started all this!

You complain about the Active Protection popup as intrusive to say the least, well, I run Active Protection on my machines and yes it is enabled on all of my PC's.  About a week ago I was victim of a drive by ransomware attack.  Active Protection stopped the attack in it's tracks and recovered 9 affected files.  I was then able to scan the system with my Security software and treat the 11 discovered files identified as a virus.  So I think I'll keep using Active Protection!  Popups to tell me of ransomware detection or even possible infection are welcome!

As for your issue, I would bet that had you disabled Acronis Active Protection (Turned it off) prior to updating Sophos your issue would have been avoided.  Guess it's to late for that though.

In reply to by Perdido Beach

Beginner

Do you get paid to pull your taffy while thinking about Acronis?

In reply to by Enchantech

Beginner

The point in all of this is Acronis should not be doing active protection. I didn't realize the Acronis New Years Day Parade Fan boy club ran the forum.

Yes its wonderful when you have one machine I'm sure. You literally have nothing else to worry about except edited your signature with what PCIE M2 sata drive you got recently.

To answer your question there was an OS update for the Intel patch, then and update to Sophos Intercept X. If any user upgrades to Acronis 2018 which they all will their entire machine is fked.

Also if they Acronis 2018 prior to Sophos  IX when the IX rolls out the machine is borked. You know why that it is? Because the god dam image vendor wants to do something that should be handled by AV.

Is this what you want from your image provider? Are you kidding me?

Computer becomes completely unresponsive

If the computer stops responding to mouse and keyboard, reboot it and follow this article to prepare Windows Kernel Memory Dump creation. That way, if the problem re-occurs, you can save that memory dump file - the key to us to fix the problem. Contact us directly then as explained here.

Alternatively, try running repair installation as described in this article to see if this resolves the problem.

Operating system crashes (also known as BSOD, fatal system error, bug check)

Follow instructions from that article to save a memory dump file and contact Acronis for help.

Alternatively, try running repair installation as described in this article to see if this resolves the problem.

The same group that makes sure your active protection is working properly also makes sure the forum doesn't get hacked.

I digress it doesnt matter the product is garbage and a total lost cause. Maybe soon they can put candy crsuh in the menu options like Windows and you guys can make posts defending it. Have a wonderful life, much love.

Legend

Jason, sorry that we cannot help you further here - we wish you better luck when you choose a different solution for your backup requirements.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8379

The facts speak for themselves in regard to the benefit of Active Protection.  Clearly you do not see the benefit so you would be better served by another product.  Just don't choose Reflect as it has an AV component as well!

Beginner
Comments: 1

..and we delete all comments and commentators who do not agree, Acronis 'Active Protection' is A Great Thing, so there. Sad.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 5860

Hello,

only comments that violate ToU are removed. Everyone is welcome to share the feedback on these forums, just don't post offensive or inflammatory words. Especially with regard to the people who try to help. 

Beginner
Comments: 10

As an IT service provider managing hundreds of Acronis/Sophos endpoints, I have to agree that Acronis has really made a mistake by force-bundling anti-virus in their products.  We are scrambling to figure out a way out of this.  Our only workaround is to remove Acronis which means we are missing critical backups.  I can understand the poster's frustration and lack of decorum.  

Forum Moderator

Boreas Jeff wrote:

As an IT service provider managing hundreds of Acronis/Sophos endpoints, I have to agree that Acronis has really made a mistake by force-bundling anti-virus in their products.  We are scrambling to figure out a way out of this.  Our only workaround is to remove Acronis which means we are missing critical backups.  I can understand the poster's frustration and lack of decorum.  

Dear Boreas,

first of all, please accept our apologies for the negative experience. Currently, the user can disable Acronis Cyber Protection feature from the Protection Plan (disable "Active Protection" or "Antivirus & Antimalware protection" in the Protection Plan).

The services active_protection_service.exe and cyber-protect-service.exe specifically are always installed together with the agent. We do have an incoming feature request to exclude Antimalware components from being installed (internal ID for reference RM-1409 Allow Agent installation without Antimalware components). I've added your feedback as a vote for this change, thank you!

Legend

Ekaterina wrote:

The services active_protection_service.exe and cyber-protect-service.exe specifically are always installed together with the agent. We do have an incoming feature request to exclude Antimalware components from being installed (internal ID for reference RM-1409 Allow Agent installation without Antimalware components). I've added your feedback as a vote for this change, thank you!

Ekaterina, please add my vote to allowing install of ATI without the new Cyber Protect features! I was happy with AAP in ATI 2020 but do not want all the overhead of Cyber Protect, so would sooner have no Antimalware / Antivirus feature in ATI than have what 2021 has brought along!

Forum Star
Comments: 1280

Add my vote too. And also consider that if the components are installed and protection is turned off the effect should be that none of these components are running.

Forum Star
Comments: 1231

Ekaterina. I agree with Steve and BrunoC. If protection is turned off then no components should be running.

Forum Star
Comments: 4040

Ekaterina, please add my name to that request.

Ian

Forum Moderator

Steve, Bruno, Tom, Ian

added your votes! For Acronis True Image the ID would be TI-213392 Allow installation without Antimalware components. Thank you!

Beginner
Comments: 2

OP Here in better mood :)

Good to see this may finally be happening, not sure why it got dug up from years ago that's funny.

We switched to Veeam; over 3000 workstations and it works great. Its about the same price and they dont try to be an AV company. Even the free version is outstanding if you only need to do a couple machines, give it a try.

Acronis has made this even worse by insisting to include adverts even in their paid program. Its just mickey mouse poor decision making by their leadership team.

Anyway switch to Veeam and I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe~!

woot woot

Beginner
Comments: 10

Ekaterina, thanks for the response, however, I do not see an option in the backup plan to disable "Antivirus & Antimalware protection" in the Protection Plan.  I do see that "Active Protection" is disabled with no option to enable it.  However, working with Sophos I found that Active Protection interferes even when disabled.  They found a workaround of renaming the associated .SYS file and rebooting as a way to stop Active Protection from conflicting with Sophos.  This is a classic situation of having two security programs running at the same time and conflicts seem inevitable.  I see in an FAQ Acronis claims that it won't conflict with other endpoint security, but that simply is not true, unfortunately.  The best workaround is to remove Acronis at this point.  Also, when I see that Cyber Protection is disabled on an endpoint (not sure how it was disabled; this is a new thing I just noticed), it is still consuming a lot of resources, in particular "Other I/O bytes".  What is it doing if it's supposedly disabled?  So hopefully Acronis sees the need to have a backup solution separate from endpoint security.  I'm all for more protection as ransomware is a real threat, but when the extra protection is causing problems, impacting productivity, then something has to change.

Beginner
Comments: 2

OP

Use Veeam