Skip to main content

Windows 10 Pro - Does Diasabling System Protection On System Drive Affect True Image 2018?

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 18

I want to COMPLETELY disable System Protection on ALL drives on my Windows 10 Professional PC.  That means that no more System Restore Points will be created ANYWHERE on my computer.  I have a very robust True Image 2018 4-week backup job that provide disk partition image protection for this computer and I couldn't care less about using System Restore - EVER.  I have a few questions about disabling System Protection:

1. Does disabling System Protection for a hard drive AFFECT THE OPERATION OF THE Volume Shadow Copy service?  After reading this in-depth article from the Microsoft Windows IT Pro website, am I correct in assuming that the Volume Shadow Copy service is not "connected" to the System Protection settings, meaning that disabling System Protection DOESN'T affect the Volume Shadow Copy service?

2. Will the operation of True Image 2018 for creating disk partition backups be affected if I disable System Protection on the Windows system drive that is being backed up by True Image 2018?

I currently have the "VSS" option selected under the Advanced tab, Performance Settings category, for the "Snapshot for backup" setting.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17543

Bill, with most recent versions of Windows 10, Microsoft automatically disable System Protection by default and do not provide for the creation of any restore points.

ATI is not dependent on System Protection and excludes such data by default from all backups via the settings on the Exclusions page.

Beginner

Thanks, Steve, for the quick response.  From your comment "ATI is not dependent on System Protection ..." I'm assuming that you mean ATI is not dependent upon System Protection but it still needs VSS, which is also not dependent on System Protection.  Is this correct?

Thank For Your Help!

Legend
Comments: 17543

Bill, yes correct.  I do not have System Protection active on any of my Windows 10 systems but VSS is used on them all for my ATI backup tasks.

Beginner

Thanks so much for your help, Steve.  That answers my question perfectly!