Skip to main content

Write Error - back up failed

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

I know this error is coming from the fact that my external backup drive (4TB) is full --- using the default settings for the differential backup;   I included the view of my file explorer showing all the backup files.

QUESTION:   why isn't Acronis not deleting older versions to make room for the new backup files?   Do we have to manually delete files to make room? (would be surprised if that's the answer)

I do have it set to delete anything older than 7 days!  and as you can see from the list,  this is not happening.

thanks for any help is resolving this one!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28191

Luc, welcome to these User Forums.

Sorry but I can see no "view of my file explorer showing all the backup files" so cannot see what you are describing.

One common misconception about the automatic cleanup setting of "delete anything older than 7 days" is when the timer for when those 7 days are counted from?  This timer does not start until the next Full backup image has been successfully created!  Not 7 days after the older files were created!

Beginner

Hi Steve,  thanks for the note back...  attached the screen shot again; hopefully you can see it now.   from what you describe this may be the problem!   looks like my 4 TB external drive got full before the 2nd full back up was completed -- sounds like I need to reduce the delete files to less than 7 days? assuming that any differential backup files would be deleted before the 2nd FULL is completed ?   if not, sounds like a need a larger backup HDD

Attachment Size
447968-146365.JPG 38.17 KB
Legend
Comments: 28191

Luc, you will need to either change from using a differential to an incremental scheme (where the incremental files will be smaller than your differentials), or else reduce the number of differentials before creating a new full backup, or invest in a larger backup drive.

There may be other options if your backup task is including more than one physical drive, such as having separate backups of single drives only.

Forum Hero
Comments: 4934

It is not stated what you are backing up; is it all partitions and drives or just some. I you have multiple partitions, and the content changes at different rate, you could have separate tasks for each partition. I always have OS on separate SSD, so I have one task for that, another task for my data partition (backed up daily both locally and to cloud), and a third for the partition on which I store installation files for all my software (only backed up once a week).

Ian

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Hi Steve,  I'll take a look at incremental scheme,  but the key is what you and Ian point to using multiple external drives for each partition !!   I think that will work...  thank you !

In reply to by IanL-S

Beginner

Hi Ian, thanks for your note... you are correct,  I'm backing up my SSD and HDD on 1 external drive --  I think if I split it up like you  suggest it will work fine.;   thanks again

Forum Hero
Comments: 4934

If you use multiple external drives, make sure they have unique drive letters assigned as things can get confused about the destination.

Not sure that you got the point I was making - separate backup tasks for different partitions, with different schedules. The backup drive can be the same or different. I tend to use same drive but different directory.

Ian