Skip to main content

Acronis 2019 claims WD Discovery.exe as possible ransomware?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

I just got a pop up message from Acronis Active Protection that WD Discovery.exe has been paused as possible ransomware. It asks me to either 'Trust' or 'Block' the program. I dont have enough info to know if something is wrong or not-- just that I have had Acronis 2019 for several years, and WD Discovery manages my external drives and has never been a problem before. 

I remain hesitant to trust or block and I cannot seem to find any other information to indicate if this is a false alarm or why else this might be happening all of a sudden.

Thanks to anyone with input on this!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 25746

Vern, welcome to these public User Forums.

See KB 62113: Acronis Active Protection slows down applications without a valid digital signature that modify many files in a short period of time - for more information.

Also KB 60193: Acronis True Image 2018, 2019 and 2020: Active Protection blocks legitimate applications

and KB 60173: Acronis True Image: troubleshooting issues with Acronis Active Protection

If you are still unsure as to the integrity of WD Discovery.exe then consider going to the WD website and downloading the latest version of this application from there and reinstalling it.

You can also check the integrity of individual .exe files by uploading them to the VirusTotal Scan website and have them analysed by upto around 50 different antivirus engines to see if any of these also raise any flags about malware?