Skip to main content

Acronis True Image Wishlist

Forum Moderator
Comments: 3769

Dear Community,

This thread is dedicated to the question regarding what you would like to see added or changed in Acronis True Image.

All the comments will be forwarded to the Development team directly, so rest assured your opinion will be taken under consideration.

Thank you!

Legend
Comments: 14833

Ekaterina, some things from me!

1. For Differential backups to be totally independent of each other, not to behave as they do today as if they are were Incremental backups.
    Coupled to this change, provide an automatic cleanup option to remove unwanted Differential files similar to the current option to 'Store no more than X recent version chains', but without the need to start a new Full backup image.

2. Provide the same Advanced Options for backups to the Acronis Cloud, i.e. the ability to use Pre / Post Commands, and to control Error Handling, plus an option to only run the backup when on a specified network connection (as available in Windows Task Scheduler).

3. Bring back the ability to view Log files directly in the ATI GUI, even if this is by means of an extra option in the drop-down menu for each backup task, i.e. along with Open Location, Rename, Validate etc, include an option to View Log files for that task.

4. Bring back the ability to look at all Scheduled task activity directly in the ATI GUI without the need to use the Acronis Scheduler Manager program with its ancient and obscure command line interface.

5. Provide more options for task naming using such as DATE, TIME etc that users currently can only achieve by manually editing the task Script .TIB.TIS files.  This ability should be provided within the ATI GUI instead of users editing XML files and risking corrupting them.
Forum Hero
Comments: 6386

1. Grandfather, father, son scheme that allows for the use of mixed Inc and diff options in one backup task. For instance... 6 daily Inc, 1 weekly diff, repeated 4 weeks and then a full again.

Like Steve mentioned above, diffs should be 100% independent of any other incremental or differential for any backup .tib navigation or recovery. 

2. Include UR in the interface for easy access to download and have automatic update notifications when new versions are out.

3. Native log viewer 

4. Ability to split .tibs in the Mac version

5. Prevent all existing .tibs from adding to the console on reinstall by default. This is way too messy. Instead, ask the user if they want to include any locations to scan for existing .tib files and allow this to modified as needed to update new locations or remove existing ones.

Forum Member
Comments: 22

I wouldn't mind the ability to make modifications to a mounted archive again.  I in order to view protected files of another Windows installation, I have to restore the files, which is a pain if you are looking for a revision of a specific file

Beginner
Comments: 5

Ability to easily choose a backup scheme that alternates between multiple copies. I want to have a backup A, B, and C so that I can have a copy offsite, the current copy, and the copy that is next.

Forum Star
Comments: 2258

Steve Smith wrote:

Provide the same Advanced Options for backups to the Acronis Cloud, i.e. the ability to use Pre / Post Commands, and to control Error Handling, plus an option to only run the backup when on a specified network connection (as available in Windows Task Scheduler).

Users should be able to configure backup tasks so they only run when the computer is attached to a particular network.  I back up my Dell notebook both to my NAS and the cloud, however the former will give an error when I am on the road, and the latter results in the backup trying to run whenever I attach to a wifi network. Users should not have to use elaborate pre- post commends or scripts to deal with this issue. ATI is primarily directed to consumers who will not appreciate having to go through elaborate process, which they do not fully understand when configuring backups on their notebooks.

I now resort to running backups manually to avoid the issues when I am on the road.

Ian

Forum Hero
Comments: 6821

I would like to see a good partition manager built into True Image tools.  It should run standalone as well as from the Tools tab.  It should be adept at moving partitions such as recovery partitions to before the primary partition.  It should perform MBR to GPT conversion without data loss.  It should also suggest to the user when disk partitions on a system drive are not in the recommended order of Microsoft the proper order and how to fix theirs.

I would also like to see the a trimmed down version of the Revive app added so that a user could recover folders/files deleted accidentally.

Legend

Further to Bob's comments about Tools, the Acronis VSS Doctor and Scheduler Manager should both be listed in the list of all tools, plus I second Bob's comments about better partition management features especially given how often we need to suggest using the MiniTool Partition Wizard to deal with issues arising from recovery or cloning where automatic resizing of partitions has not be actioned correctly (or at all!).

The Acronis Rescue Media Builder tool should include a further option to create or update a Survival Kit instead of this just being shown when a Backup is being done to a removable drive, this should include greater control over creating the required 2GB FAT32 partition without any risk of losing data on the remainder of the drive (unless using an unsupported drive format).

Beginner
Comments: 1

All the above;  and provide the ability to nominate the Backup Account and Password (obfuscated when viewing the options but viewable when first entering the password) in the options settings.

It was in some of the earlier versions I believe ?

Thank You

Terry

Forum Hero

06) from me...

I'd like to see the WinPE rescue media builder option automatically detect OEM versions of drivers for storage controllers (IRST / RAID) and network devices and offer to include them automatically. 

At least 2 other backup products that I test with and compare against already offer this feature and it would be great to have the same functionality in Acronis too.  This would be really beneficial for people with PCIE NVME drives set in RAID or RAID-on by the manufacturer, as well as those that have custom RAID controllers (rocket-raid and others) and/or custom network controllers that may not be found in the default Windows PE driver store.

Forum Hero
Comments: 6821

To compliment to Bobbo above, it would be nice to see the same functionality in Universal Restore as well.  Driver issues are the number one problem in using UR that is posted in the True Image Forum.

Beginner
Comments: 1

ability to prevent the first backup-version from being deleted in cloud backups (as its possible for local backups)

Forum Star

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

06) from me...

I'd like to see the WinPE rescue media builder option automatically detect OEM versions of drivers for storage controllers (IRST / RAID) and network devices and offer to include them automatically.

Excellent suggestion. Most of my systems have at least one add-on card with disk controller. There are also some "exotic" controllers such as chipset based NVMe raid controllers. (Despite only having one M.2 slot, my ancient Ryzen motherboard support raid through PCIe add in card.)

Ian 

Forum Hero

Enchantech wrote:

To compliment to Bobbo above, it would be nice to see the same functionality in Universal Restore as well.  Driver issues are the number one problem in using UR that is posted in the True Image Forum.

While were at it... perhaps it's also time automatically include True Image and UR in the same rescue media automatically if both are installed on the system at build.  Then, it would be a one-shot for system drivers and a single rescue media build with the default Acronis WinPE/WinRE rescue media builder.  

Forum Star

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

5. Prevent all existing .tibs from adding to the console on reinstall by default. This is way too messy. Instead, ask the user if they want to include any locations to scan for existing .tib files and allow this to modified as needed to update new locations or remove existing ones.

+ 1. I would suggest a further refinement of allowing only saved tasks to be included; no scan at all for local backups. When the load saved tasks option is selected, the save tasks should be automatically loaded when ATI user interface loads.

The ability to save settings for Malware - existing save settings only relates to backup tasks.

When uninstalling (or installing a new version using the full installer) users should be prompted with a choice of saving settings before the installer runs. 

Legend

Ditto to Ian regarding the Settings option to save these to a zip file - this should include all ATI settings for both Backup tasks, User preferences and AAP settings too.  Ideally, it should also capture Activity history too.

Forum Star

Steve Smith wrote:

…...  Ideally, it should also capture Activity history too.

+1 

Beginner
Comments: 3

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

+1. The ability to disable scan for backups at startup (like it was in previous versions).

Beginner
Comments: 6

Ability to comment on individual backup versions.

Ok this can be done for the backup in progress (example backup v03) but,

i would like to be able to add or change a comment to existing backup

of the previous day (v02) or earlier (v01).

Thank you
Beginner
Comments: 6

Whaat I would like to see is the ability to not install all the security stuff.   I don't want it, and don't use it, as there arer better solutions.

Now I have to go thru and turn all that stuff off.

Beginner
Comments: 9

Show a checklist for the USB "power Off" options that shut down the external USB drives.