Skip to main content

Acronis Universal restore problem

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 5

Acronis 2019

When I select the windows option in Acronis Universal restore, It continues asking for Linux drivers and folders.  No matter what I do, I continues with Linux rather than windows.   

The media booted but in my windows system, it said it couldn't find an operating system and there were no options but to exit.

Any one have a thought on this?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2911

The critical question is; do you really need to use universal restore? With Windows 10 you can restore to new hardware, or clone to new hardware, without the need to use universal restore in many circumstances. So, I would try using Win PE or Win RE recovery media before resorting to universal restore.

I recently upgraded the motherboard on two PCs running Windows 10 (replacing 2nd and 3rd generation Core CPUs with 9th generation Core CPUs) and the systems booted without issue after doing a restore to new M.2 NVMe SSD using Win PE and Win RE recovery media. 

Ian

Beginner

I would think the critical question would be why doesn't the program work correctly.   

My normal rescue media disks take from 10 minutes to never in order to boot for a recovery.  I tried the universal to see if it would work, although I do back up to dissimilar drives.  I keep several around so something might boot the machine.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8096

Jerry - what version of UR do you have installed - it is updated manually on your account, but not through the APP.  Download and reinstall - make sure to right-click and "run as administrator" even if logged in with an admin account.

Screenshots of all steps would also be helpful as we can't identify what options you've selected so far.  I've never seen this behavior with UR on any system I've built rescue media on.  There are different options for creating WinPE or Linux rescue media though.  You won't be able to create WinPE rescue media if you don't have Windows ADK installed (not sure if you do or not).  

As Ian points out though, you really shouldn't need to run UR on any Windows 10 machine though - Windows 10 default drivers are VERY GOOD, and unless you have some kind of very unique RAID controller and a physical RAID setup, you probably don't need UR at all.  

Beginner

I'm not sure what "UR" is!

I downloaded the latest copy of Acronis from the web page.  The version I had was the updated version of 2019.( Acronis True Image 2019, build 17750).  I uninstalled it and reinstalled the download.

I have checked for virus/malware with Windows Defender and later with McAfee (not both running at the same time).  I can't find a virus/malware problem.

It may be something to do with the hardware itself or even a new windows security conflict!

I appreciate all of your help.  It probably is something else besides the Acronis program.  

Thank you for your efforts.

Forum Star
Comments: 2911

Not sure that you downloaded the correct file from your account. UR (Universal Restore) is an "msi" file not an executable (exe file) - it has an "msi" extension. To install an *.msi in Explorer select the file, right click and select install.

Ian

Beginner

I downloaded, "AcronisTrueImage2019_ur_en-US.msi" earlier.  Later I downloaded another copy of True Image and reinstalled it.   

Funny thing is, A bootable flash drive for something else boots and runs in seconds. I have made all manner of Bootable disk and a couple of survival disk with Acronis.  Most of my creations do boot but show the working screen in less that 5 minutes and one on an SSD (Wmi version) takes around 10 minutes.   

Since all of those boots are "Pre windows" actions, I can't blame it on Windows so I'll blame it on the computer and ignore the great boot up for the Windows Op Sys itself.

I think it's time to just drop this issue as a lost cause.  I'm getting backups and recoveries and that's really all I need.

Should I find out the cause and cure, I will come back and post it.

Thank you all again.

Forum Hero

Jerry,

Curious, but what type of rescue media did you build that is taking so long to boot?  Default used to be Linux, Simple, is now normally WinRE for the system it is built on, but if WinRE is broken or missing, will default back to Linux.  Advanced build option gives you the possibility to create WinRE or Windows ADK.

If you built a WinRE rescue media and are using it on a different computer, keep in mind WinRE embeds the local system drivers from the computer it was built on.  It will take longer to go through and attempt to load drivers if they are not intended for that machine, especially for wireless devices... or, it may just take awhile to load specific drivers on the intended machine (particularly graphics cards).  

For me, I generally prefer to use the advanced build option and specifically select ADK (using the most current Windows 10 ADK at the time - which is 1903 right now).  This will create a very minimalistic WinPE rescue media with only the native, default Windows 10 drivers that come with that build of ADK... however, this is sufficient for most computers as Windows 10 driver support is VERY good, out-of-the box.  The only additional drivers you may need/want to include are the latest IRST from Intel (to support PCIe NVME drives - but Windows 10 has a generic driver already, unless you are using an actual RAID setup, then you need/want to include IRST as well).  

The only downside to using ADK is that you have to download and install it from Microsoft first.  It's a pretty big download at about 4GB, but an easy install. The rescue media I build with ADK, generally only takes a few seconds to boot up to Acronis - maximum 1 minute on slower computers with lower and slower memory (keep in mind rescue media loads into Memory). 

Also, are you using the MVP builder or the default Acronis builder?  Asking, because the MVP tool can also load other things like mapping a network drive or automatically connecting to a wireless network, and this can slow things down too - I generally don't add this in my MVP custom builds and will manually connect as needed so that the boto times are faster.

Beginner

Only one computer ever involved.  I have never worked with the MVP tool.

Today I made two rescue disks On to a Verbatum 2.0, 8GB disk and a SanDisk 2.0, 16GB usb drive 

The Sandisk was made with the "ADVANCED WinPe-based Media windows 8, windows 8.1 windows 10 use Windows ADK" to create the bootable media.   

This disk took 12:51:82 seconds to load to the operational screen.

The second disk was maded with "ADVANCED Linux Based Media onto the Verbatum disk.

This disk to 4:23:54 minutes to reach the operational screen

My survival disk on a WD 500gb Pass port drive takes 13:10:79 minutes to boot.

For Comparison, the "Windows Defender Off line"  USB booted to the operational screen in 4:23 seconds which is very much like the previous boot.

The Windows operating system requires 43 seconds to boot to the operational screen on a SanDisk SSD

I strongly suspect that I have a hardware issue or a OpSys problem... or both.

Forum Hero

Wow, yeah, all of those boot times are pretty long. It almost feels like you're only getting USB 1.0 speeds. I'll go back and verify my boot speeds with some thumb drives, but my USB 3.0 flash drives take about 30-60 seconds and my older USB 2.0 8gb SanDisk are probably in the realm of 1-2 minutes tops for WinPE. I'd still like to verify for you later when I have them to test with.

I would say that winpe can be a little slower than the Linux media (not drastically) but should be on par with say a Windows 10 installer.

Beginner

A part of the problem was a BIOS problem.  I reflashed the BIOS and some things, including Acronis, started working better.   I remember a book, I ain't well, but I sure am better".  That would apply to this computer.

I can't stand to put any more effort into it, so, by definition, it's fixed.

Thank you so much for the assistance.  I learned a lot from the experience.

Forum Hero

Jerry! Glad to hear it!! I used to have to do the same on my old Gigabyte Mobo. Seems like the bios would  forget to do what it was told unless an occasional reflash to get it back on track. All mobos and firmware are not created equal!