Skip to main content

Backups from Windows 10 are split into two backup files

Thread solved
Regular Poster
Comments: 87

Hi

The last two backups I have made from my Windows 10 Laptop to external HDDs have resulted in the creation of two files instead of the normal one file.

Can someone tell me why this should be happening.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28221

Eric, sorry but more information is needed here. 

Please post a screen shot of the multiple files you are seeing so that we can understand how they are named, what size they are etc?

Forum Hero
Comments: 4940

In addition to the information Steve has requested, what file system is used by the USB drive, NTFS, FAT32, xFAT? Some file systems have a limit to the  max file size, notably FAT and FAT32 (4GB).

Ian

Regular Poster

Hi Steve

The first file is 40 Mb in size and the second 94.2 Gb. Avccessing either files in Explorer results in access to the complete backup. Screen Shot attached.

Attachment Size
607267-341700.jpg 173.54 KB
Regular Poster

For IanL-S

The External HDD is formatted as NTFS.

Legend

Eric, just seeing the _v1 and _v2 suffix on your file names suggests that the backup was interrupted then continued again but only the log might provide any clues as to why that was the case?

Regular Poster

That's what I thought but why this would happen on the last two occasions I made a complete backup to this HDD whereby both backups, a month apart, should have the same split.

Cannot find anything in the log to suggest a halt in proceedings at the same point in the backup process.

Legend

Eric, if your destination HDD is connected via USB, then you may have USB Selective Suspend enabled in the Power Options, which could cause the HDD to 'disappear' while Acronis is processing backup data.

Regular Poster

Hi

Is this the entry you are referring to which is from my own Windows 7 Laptop.  The problem we are discussing relates to my partner's Windows 10 Laptop. If this setting is correct I will make sure it is the same on that machine when I can get to use it next.

Attachment Size
607413-342144.JPG 62.36 KB
Legend

Yes, that is the setting.

Regular Poster

Hi

The USB Settings on the Windows 10 machine are the sam - see screen grab attached.

Attachment Size
607483-342464.png 23.77 KB
Legend

Eric, if you are still seeing the same issue, then looking at the ti_demon logs for the times when the task was active is the next step, to see if these give any clues as to why the task was interrupted?

Download a copy of the MVP Assistant log viewer tool and use this to look at the logs to see if they show any issues during the operation process?

The latest version of the new log viewer tool is at the link below. 
MVP Assistant - New 2.0 with Rescue Media Builder (New Version 2.1.1)

If you have Disks & Partitions backups created on ATI 2020 or later using .tibx files, then look in the Backup Worker logs.

If you have Files & Folders backups using .tib files (or Disk backups from earlier versions using .tib files) or using Cloning then look in the Demon logs.

Other logs are shown by the MVP Assistant under the 'Active Logs' heading of the Log Viewer page of the Assistant.

The Schedule2 log contains information related to scheduled task but is one of the more difficult logs to read / work through.

The log files should be zipped to preserve their original file names if sharing in the forums and would need to be less than 3MB in size, otherwise you would need to share the zip file via a Cloud share service such as OneDrive, Dropbox etc.

Regular Poster

Hi Steve

Sorry I took so long to reply to your suggestion about using the MPV Assistant but for some reason I had great difficulty in downloading it to the Windows 10 Machine. My AV kept deleting it as if it was a dangerous file.

However, I eventually got it working and sure enough it shows an error in executing the backup the first time and then automatically resumed with a version 2. This has occurred twice with one of my two external HDDs.

MPV Assistant it shows error 0x40003 (see screen grabs attached) and I am now attempting to isolate what is causing this error - plenty of information on the web about this and Acronis.

I shall make a new backup to the other external HDD sometime this week to see whether the error occurs with this drive.  If it doesn't I shall suspect a problem with the other External HDD.  If it does it must be a conflict with something running on my Laptop.  I usually make a backup after closing all apps etc on the Laptop apart from my Norton 360 AV software so that only Acronis is running.

Will keep you posted on this.

Attachment Size
608064-344574.jpg 245.55 KB
608064-344577.jpg 247.66 KB
Regular Poster

Hi

I made a new backup yesterday on the suspect HDD and this time, with the same settings I always use, I am back to a single backup file. I can only assume, for some unknown reason, there has was a glitch in the system during the last two backups.

Whatever the problem was it seems to have disappeared so I hope that's the end of the problem.

Thanks for your assistant; appreciated.