Skip to main content

Can't see the Image file on USB drive

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 4

I made an image of my 500 gb SSD onto a USB thumb drive.  When in file management the USB drive doesn't show.  Can anyone help?  Thanks

Hank

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22851

Hank, sorry but more information is needed here?

When you say you made an image, do you mean a backup image or a clone?

How did you make the image?  From within Windows or booted from rescue media?

Beginner

Sorry Steve,

I did the clone feature using Acronis, from within windows (10).  Nothing fancy.  I had just bought a new USB thumb drive and figured I would try the clone feature.  Does Acronis a clone or image? 

Legend

Hank, the whole point of making a clone is that the target drive is expected to then be used to replace the source drive, so Acronis will hide that drive in preparation for it to be installed.  Obviously, if you have cloned from an SSD to a USB thumb drive, that will never be installed and therefore you will probably need to reformat the USB thumb drive to get it back to how it was.

You should be making a backup image of the SSD and storing this on your USB thumb drive, not using clone, that way the drive would remain visible and if large enough, could store more than one backup image.

To get the USB drive back again, you can use the Tools > Add New Disk option in the ATI menu option, select the USB drive and initialise this to either MBR or GPT as needed, then create a single NTFS partition on the drive.

See the link in my signature for the differences between Backup and Cloning.

Beginner

Yes, I did clone from an SSD.  

Clone is the only option I have on my Acronis True image 2019.  

Also, no Add New Disk and ATI I don't know what that is.

I appreciate your help!!

Attachment Size
553919-204874.pdf 141.63 KB
Forum Star
Comments: 3953

A clone to a USB SSD from within Windows will not be bootable due to restrictions imposed by Microsoft. 

What you need is a backup rather than a clone. You can then restore the backup if something goes wrong. If you really want to have a clone, then you will need to have an SSD or HDD attached to a SATA port on the motherboard; and we MVPs recommend creating such clones using recovery media rather than from within Windows as there is a risk something will go wrong. Abundant caution requires making a backup of the system disk before attempting any clone.

Ian

Legend

Hank, the 'Add new disk' option is shown after you click on 'All tools' in your screen image for the Tools page.

The option to make a Backup is shown on the Backup page (not on Tools) and you will see an option at the bottom of that page to 'Add backup'.

I would recommend reading through the first few sections of the Acronis True Image 2019 User Guide  which will give you a good introduction to how to use the application.

Beginner

Thanks for all your help.