Skip to main content

Checking Bootable UEFI Recovery Media

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 26

Before restoring my Windows 10 Professional Dell Precision 7750 system disk I want to make sure my rescue media is booting into the correct OS.  I created a rescue disk and a rescue flash drive that both show up as UEFI bootable, See Figure 1 attached. I can boot into either of them. 

I was referred to KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media which states that the way to determine whether my system is booting into UEFI is to check the value of PEFirmwareType in Regedit.  But when I navigated to the tree location described in the KB article PEFirmwareType was not in the tree. See Figure 2.

Is it safe to restore my hard drive using the media I created?  Why is PEFirmwareType not in the directory tree location described in KB 59877?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1712

Ronald, I see PEFirmwareType in your image. But because it's cut off on the right, I can't see what the value is.

Forum Member

Thanks, Steve,

The value for PEFirmwareType is 2. I booted from my ATI Rescue Flash Drive. So does that mean that ATI will attempt recovery in UEFI mode?

Ron

Legend
Comments: 28221

Ron, yes given the value from the registry being 2 - recovery will be using UEFI BIOS boot mode.

Note: you may also be able to set your BIOS boot mode as 'UEFI only' in the BIOS settings so that no Legacy type boot would ever be offered.

Forum Member

Thanks for the tips, Steve!