Skip to main content

Cloning built-in HDD to external SSD with Acronis True Image 2019 NOT WORKING

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Hello,

usually I don't really need forum entries to figure out things... but in this case I am just clueless of what to do..and there was no youtube vide, existing forum entry or anything else that would help me with a solution..

So I bought a new computer last year, a laptop with a bult in HDD 1TB. Now I want to upgrade to an SSD 1TB..got a license for Acronis True Image 2019, the new SSD with 1TB by SanDisk and an Adapter with a case (SSD and HDD compatible)

I initialized the new SSD with one full partition and the drive letter "D" so it can be recognized by windows explorer etc. this worked out.

now when i have the new SSD connected to my laptop as drive 2, I started acronis and selected the exta utility called "Clone Disk"...it gives me some kind of error right away telling me Cloning only works with 2 drives. ("Unable to continue. This utility is desinged to work with two or more disk drives") I first thought i might have to connect a second external drive..  so i connected my other external HDD as drive 3 (with backups on it) to check. Indeed it worked but in the step for chosing the target and source, acronis didnt recognize my new SSD.. only the internal drive 1 and the external HDD drive 3.... so how do i get acronis to recognize my new SSD...so i can clone the internal HDD over onto my new SSD...

please help me with this. 

I have some screenshots added below.

Thank you so much.

1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17573

Chris, welcome to these public User Forums.

Before doing anything else, please ensure that you create a full Disk & Partitions backup of your working HDD OS drive to your third external drive.  This is your safety net in case anything goes wrong with any further actions in your quest to migrate to the new SSD drive.

Next, please create the Acronis Rescue Media for ATI 2019 - this ideally should be created on a small USB stick (min 2GB to max 32GB size) and test that you know how to boot your computer from this media using the same BIOS boot mode as used by your Windows OS.

See the following reference documents.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 61632: Acronis True Image 2019: how to create bootable media - for details of the 3 different types of rescue media.  Default Simple mode uses Windows Recovery Environment, then Advanced mode offers the older Linux media or Windows PE (using the Windows ADK).

Once you have done the above, then you have several options for how to proceed.

The recommended option would be to remove the current HDD drive, replace it by the new SSD drive, then boot the computer using the rescue media USB stick with your backup drive connected, then recover the backup (from the HDD) to the new SSD drive.

This is the safest option as your working HDD is disconnected and away from any errors etc.

The second option, if using Cloning, is to do as above by having the SSD installed in place of the HDD, but attach the HDD externally by a USB adapter, then boot using the rescue media to perform the clone from the HDD to the SSD.

Note: when cloning, it is very important to disconnect the HDD before attempting to boot from the SSD.  You should not attempt to boot the computer with both drives connected.

Note 2:  The new SSD does not need to be formatted or partitions created as the drive will be wiped by both the recovery or clone process.  It may be necessary to use the option in the ATI rescue media application to 'Add new disk' if the drive is not found or shown as an option.