Skip to main content

Do the backup files need a virus scan?

Thread solved
C W
Beginner
Comments: 15

I do the ATI2020 backup to an external drive. Do the backup files need a virus scan?

C W

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 4610

For the backups, what you want to ensure is that they are not tampered with. ATI itself has the ability to monitor for attempts to tamper with the backups (so long as the drive is connected to the computer). There is little point in scanning the backup files as, assuming you are security conscious, you will have used strong encryption which the backup program will be unable to pernitrate. Norton 360 regularly asks for permission to scan my Acronis backups, but I decline to do so.

Of course, if the drive is connected to another computer, there are risks that it could be encrypted or otherwise modified. So if you are unsure where the drive has been recently, I would scan it when it mounts (Norton 360 asks me if I want to scan newly mounted external drives).

Ian

C W
Beginner
Comments: 15

Hi Ian.

Yes, ATI asked if I give permission for Norton to modify my backup files. I did not give Norton permission. I think if the backup is modified. You will not be able to recover the image/files. Therefore, I say, the backup files need not be scanned.

Forum Star
Comments: 4610

Hi C W, That is a distinct possibility.

Ian

Legend
Comments: 26700

Couple of late comments for this topic:

First, all Acronis .tib / .tibx archive files are read/only files and cannot be altered by any actions from antivirus tools etc.  Attempting to alter the file would corrupt it and render it unusable.

Second, if there are virus infected / malware files present in the source data, then these could be included in the Acronis backup archives, so it is important that any remedies taken to remove such virus / malware files is performed on the source data.  It is possible that when Acronis tries to access an infected file during the backup process it will trigger the antivirus program to block that access and quarantine the infected file.  (I have seen this happen on my own system when my antivirus was triggered by a false positive file which cause the backup to fail - though this was several years back).