Skip to main content

Error: Unknown Status - Acronis True Image

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 5

Hi all! Thanks in advance for any ideas or advice to help me out with this.

I receive the generic error Unknown Status when attempting to either create a new Full Backup or a differential from the first image I created.

The image size should be around 42GB. I have it configured to create 10GB splits. It appears to successfully write the first four splits to the external USB hard drive and then in the last 1-2GB it fails and all disappear.

• I’ve verified I have write access to the external drive.
  • I’ve ran badblocks on the external to verify there are no errors.
  • The internal drive is setup in RAID 1, so I’m very hesitant to run dskchk.

I should also note that this computer has been validated for a scientific project that cost quite a lot for a government grant. Any changes have to be thoroughly documented, so we are very careful not to make changes, so as not to invalidate any scientific findings and jeopardize the work that is being done. I am trying to make an image of the disk in the case of a catastrophic failure.

Uploaded log file ti_demon_#### from SystemReport\Application Data\All Users\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs\ti_demon\

Thank you,

Tim

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21992

Tim, welcome to these public User Forums.

The log shows that there are Microsoft VSS errors involved for your backup task.

Error 0x101f6: Unable to create volume snapshot
error 0x70021: Unable to create volume snapshot
error 0x10c449: Failed to lock the volume snapshot
error 0x9: Unknown status.
error 0xfff0: The media is write protected

Please download the Acronis VSS Doctor tool and run this to analyse the system for VSS issues.  The tool will offer to fix issues that it can detect and resolve.  It produces a report of the issues if you need this to track the issues and changes.

The alternative would be to create the Acronis Rescue Media and boot from this to perform a backup of the disk outside of Windows, but your RAID drive would need to present as a single drive to the media or else RAID drivers would be need to be injected.

Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thank you. I will work to install Acronis VSS Doctor and run the report. Any changes take time due to the security around this system, so I will be slow to report back with issues.

Thanks again

Legend

Tim, the VSS Doctor is purely standalone / no install needed.

Beginner

Hi Steve,

I ran VSS Doctor and it reported back with no errors, but a few services don't appear to be started. I've attached the log. I also ran a chkdsk and verified the RAID 1 doesn't have errors using the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software.

Thank you,

Tim

Attachment Size
544899-187573.txt 6.54 KB
Legend

Tim, the VSS Doctor log looks clean with no issues.  Have you retried the backup since using the tool?

Beyond that, would you be able to share a new System Report zip file with me (via a private message link to a cloud share such as OneDrive, Google Drive etc)?

Beginner

I didn't try re-running the backup. I will run another backup and send the report next time I'm in the office and private message you a download link. Thanks!

Beginner

Hi Steve, I can't seem to send a DM to you. I get an access denied page. Is there private data within the system report that should prevent me from uploading it here?

Btw, the backup failed again with the same error.

Thank you,

Tim

Legend

Tim, for direct messages, you should be able to click on the 'Send message' link that is shown underneath my number of Comments on the left side of posts.

The main reason for sharing the system report zip file via a cloud link is simply down to the file size which will normally exceed that allowed for file uploads in the forums (max 3MB).

Beginner

I receive a Access Denied error.

Attachment Size
546501-188346.PNG 28.14 KB
546501-188349.PNG 10.49 KB
Legend

Tim, try clicking on my name instead and see if that take you to my profile page?  I cannot test this myself because I don't see the options on my own profile!!

Legend

Tim, thanks for the system report zip file which may show several issues here!

All your backup tasks are using 'Entire PC' for the task source selection but your disks report shows that your main OS disk is using RAID 1 and you also have a second disk which is a virtual disk plus look to have a mounted VHD disk associated with the same disk.

An associated issue is that you are selecting all disks via using 'Entire PC' and yet are then excluding drive letter D: in the exclusions settings!  This is known to cause strange issues because your are selecting D: in your source options then excluding it within the same task!

The logs only show one recent backup task running in July and that is inconclusive because the task log shows as starting but then shows no more entries beyond the name of the backup file being created.

The console log shows an issue with a different backup task with regard to source selection.

ti_demon log entries:

29/07/2020 10:04:26:369 AM ATI Demon started. Version: 23.5.1.17750.
29/07/2020 10:04:26:399 AM Backup reserve copy attributes: format tib; need_reserve_backup_copy false;
29/07/2020 10:04:26:399 AM Operation DEBARBERLABMS01_FULL_07292020 started manually.
29/07/2020 10:04:28:409 AM Backup reserve copy attributes: format tib; need_reserve_backup_copy false;
29/07/2020 10:04:28:409 AM Operation: Backup
29/07/2020 10:04:28:409 AM Priority changed to Low.
29/07/2020 10:04:28:629 AM Create Backup Archive
29/07/2020 10:04:28:629 AM Pending operation 173 started: 'Creating partition image'.
29/07/2020 10:05:46:845 AM Writing full version to file: DEBARBERLABMS01_FULL_07292020_full_b1_s1_v1.tib

Task doesn't show as completing beyond the above point?

Console log most recent entries:

29/07/2020 09:50:01:895 AM Mandatory login will not be shown because user has perpetual license
29/07/2020 09:50:05:848 AM Failed to load Active Protection updates: Error 0x2a6001d: couldn't connect to host at www.acronis.com:443
29/07/2020 09:50:20:063 AM Unable to select source for task name 'DEBARBERLABMS01_Weekly' with id '940F7DB2-8444-417A-B9BC-E17F67631347' - uri is empty
29/07/2020 09:51:04:466 AM License activator. License activated

Error shown for a different backup task due to source selection!

Please try creating a new Disks & Partitions backup task where you click past the default 'Entire PC' source selection to reveal the further options.  Click on Disks & Partitions, then select only your main disk drive (2TB MBR RAID 1 drive with partitions C: D: V: & W:) and deselect the D: partition if you don't want this included in the backup.

I would recommend when making backups, that you keep to only having a single disk drive per backup task.  This will make any future recovery actions easier to manage as each backup file will be for only one disk and also be limited in size versus including all disks.

Another benefit of only having a single disk per backup task is that any issues with a disk will show up much easier than if you have a bucket full of disks involved.