Skip to main content

File recovery fails after successful backup validation.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I've been backing up my Documents folder using TI 2019. The hard drive that folder failed so I went to recover the folder from the back up to a new drive. I validated the back up successfully and then went to do a recovery. The recovery failed with errors. I then upgraded to TI2021 to see is that would help and got the same error. So then I downgraded to TI2016, and still got the same result.

Any ideas if there is anything else I can try?

Thanks.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 25764

Welcome to these public User Forums.

Sorry but too little information of start guessing at why your recovery is failing?

First, you should use either the same version that created the backup file(s) or else use a later version of ATI, so should be using either ATI 2019 or 2021 for the recovery.

Next, with the correct / recommended version of ATI installed in Windows, you then should be able to open your backup files in Explorer and then try navigating through the folders / files held in the backup file.  You can use normal Copy & Paste commands to recover files & folders in this way.

Beyond trying the above, you would need to look at the log files for the recovery attempts to see what errors are causing the recovery to fail.

There is a new MVP Assistant log viewer tool that has now been made available by Acronis via the Community Tools page.. 

If you have Disks & Partitions backups created on ATI 2020 or later using .tibx files, then look in the Backup Worker logs.

If you have Files & Folders backups using .tib files (or Disk backups from earlier versions using .tib files) or using Cloning then look in the Demon logs.

Other logs are shown by the MVP Assistant under the 'Active Logs' heading of the Log Viewer page of the Assistant.

The log files should be zipped to preserve their original file names if sharing in the forums and would need to be less than 3MB in size, otherwise you would need to share the zip file via a Cloud share service such as OneDrive, Dropbox etc.

Beginner

Thank you for your reply. I reinstalled TI2021 and tried the recovery again. Received the same error message. Attached is the zipped log file, I had to change the name because the name generated by Acronis was too long to zip.

Attachment Size
584458-288892.zip 1005 bytes
Legend

Thank you for the demon log file - this doesn't give us a lot of information but does identify an issue with a specific file path.

error 0x4001a: Error occurred while recovering.
Archive::RestoreOperation::RestoreTree

Archive::RestoreOperation::RestoreItem
Path: E:/Documents/Consulting Work/Andrew/ePropelled/fw-can/fw/project6.X/.git/objects/66/0582ef907f2fc1960ec7a9d60e7bd1448c56a0 (1)

error 0x40002: The end of the file has been reached.

I would recommend trying to access the above file path via Explorer opening the backup file and see if you can do so?

Beginner

Explorer just hangs if I try to access the backup that way.

So it would seem that just because a backup passes validation, it doesn't mean that the backup is actually any good. So I'm guessing that the only way to know if a backup is recoverable is to actually attempt to recover it periodically? This is not really something that I have time for.

Are there "best practices" to ensure that a backup will be good when you actually really need it?

Thanks.

Legend

This is where validation can be a little misleading as it only confirms that no changes have been made to the backup file and not that the contents are valid.  When the backup file is being written to disk, there are a series of checksum values that are written in the file and all that validation does is to recalculate and compare the stored checksum values with the recalculated ones.

If the data captured in the backup operation was damaged or corrupted in any way, then unless that damage or corruption causes the backup to fail with an error, that is what is captured as ATI has no way to determine what is good or bad data from the content selected.  That content could include encrypted data for example!

The only real methods of checking the backup file content is either to recover it to another drive or location, or else to open the backup file in Explorer and navigate around the content to check that it is as expected.