Beginner
Comments: 10

I've configured ATI2019 to create an incremental backup of 3 drives:

C:\ (SSD)
D:\ (Internal HDD)
E:\ (External USB)

to

X:\ (External USB)

However I also get way too large incremental backup files.

I already checked that "sector-by-Sector" is NOT activated and defragmentation is also switched off.

The backup settings are like the ones in the screenshot attached.

Does anyone have a clue why the incremental files are still too large?

/Frank

Attachment Size
ATI2019.jpg 222.6 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22354

Frank, sorry but too little information to guess at why your incremental sizes are too large?

I would recommend starting by creating 3 separate backup tasks, one each for your three source drives (C: D: & E:) and then checking the incremental size of each of these new tasks as the files are created, which will help you to identify where any large increments are coming from.

Beginner

Hi Steve!

Thanks... I will change the settings as suggested this week and check back then.

Just one question: Are the settings correct this way?

I'd like to have an incremental backup every every 3rd day but not keeping more than 6 backups on the HDD.

/Frank

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

I would recommend starting by creating 3 separate backup tasks, one each for your three source drives (C: D: & E:)

Hi Steve!

I did as suggested and noticed that the built in drives (C:\ + D:\) are backed up without a problem. That means: The incremental backup is small as expected.

However the external USB drive (using an SSD) is causing the incremental backup to increase in size to almost the size of the drive contents.

Any idea what  is causing this behaviour?

Thanks,

Frank

Legend

Frank, thanks for the update and good that you have narrowed this issue down to your external USB drive.

Next questions related to the USB drive:

What file system is being used on the USB drive?  Is it NTFS, exFAT ?

What type of data is stored on the USB drive?  Files such as videos, pictures, music etc?

Do you need to make a Disks & Partitions backup of the USB drive or could you try using a Files & Folders backup instead?

Do you have any automatic defragmentation tools in play here that could be operating against the USB drive, including the Maintenance feature of Windows 10?
(Defragmentation does cause large incremental backups due to touching very large volumes of sectors, especially for Disk backups).

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

Next questions related to the USB drive:

What file system is being used on the USB drive?  Is it NTFS, exFAT ?

What type of data is stored on the USB drive?  Files such as videos, pictures, music etc?

Do you need to make a Disks & Partitions backup of the USB drive or could you try using a Files & Folders backup instead?

Do you have any automatic defragmentation tools in play here that could be operating against the USB drive, including the Maintenance feature of Windows 10?
(Defragmentation does cause large incremental backups due to touching very large volumes of sectors, especially for Disk backups).

Hi Steve!

The file system is exFAT and the drive mainly contains pictures (.jpg).

How can I switch to Files&Folders backup? I thought it's already selected! (Sector-by-sector backup is unchecked).

I tried to switch off defragmentation but maybe I've missed something? Do you have a suggestion how to get rid of the defragmentation?

Is defragmentation a problem if the backup is a Files&Folders backup?

Legend

Frank, you can tell the type of task by looking at the Source panel icon in the main GUI where it shows a disk image or else a folder according to the type of task.

Defragmentation can impact file backups as well as for disks if there is sufficient movement of data on the drive.

Are you running on Windows 10?  If so, open the Control Panel then System and Security settings, then on Administrative Tools where you will see an option controlling if & when Defrag will run and for what drives.

I currently have all defragmentation turned off for my own drives, partially because there is a bug in Windows 10 which causes SSD drives to be defragmented too often because the Last analysed date/time is not remembered!

Beginner

Hi Steve!

Thanks for taking your time. I checked the backup type and it I have the "Disk" image - not the folder!
Question is: Can I switch it easily to Files&Folder Backup?

The weird thing is: The options for my backup give me a list of files that should not
be backup up... it this correct even for Volume backups?

I also checked the defragmentation settings - it's switched off for all drives!
(More exactly: The scheduled optimisation is off.)

But now the most weird thing: The drive causing the problem is accessible (of course) and
shows up as drive H:\ in explorer BUT it doesn't show up in the list of drives
in the defragmentation dialog. All drives are there - but not this one.
(I also did a "repair" just to be sure - but no luck)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frank

Legend

Frank, unfortunately you cannot change a Disk backup task into a Files task, you would need to create a new backup task as Files & Folders and delete the old task.

That is a puzzle about the H: drive not showing in the defrag list of drives?

I would suggest creating an Acronis System Report and then extracting the disks.txt file from the zip file this creates.  If you can post the disks.txt file as a File Upload that may hold some clues?

KB 58820: Acronis True Image: Collecting System Report

Beginner

Hi Steve,

finally I got hold of the unruly machine. Here's the disks.txt.

Thanks for taking your time!

/Frank

Attachment Size
553954-204901.txt 787.97 KB
Legend

Frank, thanks for the disks.txt report, this is showing an error for your MyPassport disk 4 using drive letter G:

4-   d(3) GPT   1.8T   11M USB   0-0-0    WD My Passport 2599 1012  
                                  MBR                                ------
                                  GPTpri                             -----v
  -1       --GG  1.8T  1.8T  151G NTFS   07 NTFS, HPFS   My Passport --e--V
                                  GPTbck                             ------
Partition 4-1: file system
  FS:                NTFS
  File System Error 0x70018: MFT bitmap corrupted

You should run CHKDSK G: /F to see if this will fix the MFT bitmap corruption.

Beginner

Ok... thanks for that.

But the drives I'm trying to backup C: D: (working) and H: ???

Could this cause problems even if I don't try to use it?

Legend

Sorry Frank, has been a while since I was looking at this!  There is another issue with a second drive!

6-   d(4) GPT   931G   30M USB   0-0-0    WD My Passport 25E1 1019  
                                  MBR                                ------
                                  GPTpri                             -----v
  -1       --HF  931G  931G  785G NTFS   07 NTFS, HPFS   My Passport --w--V
                                  GPTbck                             ------
Partition 6-1: file system
  FS:                NTFS
  File system warnings:    Lost blocks (clusters)

This may show as being your F: drive, not H: but file system issues do need to be dealt with or else you should disconnect all USB drives that are not directly involved in the backup scenario, so as to remove any possibility of their causing knock-on issues!