Skip to main content

Just upgraded to 2019. Using 100% of hard drive access! Slowing my PC to a crawl.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 12

I just did this upgrade today and it's been a terrible time since!

Asus AMD M32BC Windows 8.1 PC with 16GB RAM. 

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2724

Have not seen reports of this sort of behaviour for a long time. One thing you could try is to temporarily disable malware protection. It that resolves the problem, then you may need to identify what is triggering the action. When this feature was first added to ATI 2017 many programs slowed significantly; I had issues with video editing software - added the appropriate programs to exclusion list and things improved significantly.

Ian

Legend
Comments: 16768

Melissa, what version of ATI did you upgrade from here?

Upgrading from old versions of Acronis True Image

If your current version of Acronis True Image is Acronis True Image 2017 or Acronis True Image 2018, the new version will simply update it; there is no need to remove the old version and reinstall the software. If your current version is older, we recommend that you remove the current version, first.

Next, do you have Acronis Active Protection (AAP) enabled in ATI 2019 - this was new in the ATI 2017 NG and 2018 versions - and can cause performance issues if conflicting with other applications installed.  The simplest way to test is to disable AAP - look for the Acronis shield shaped icon in the Windows System Tray area (blue background with white A shown), right-click on the icon and take the option to 'Turn off Acronis Active Protection' and then see if performance improves?

If AAP is causing an issue, then see KB 60193: Acronis True Image 2018 and 2019: Active Protection blocks legitimate applications - and follow the steps described to whitelist your other applications that are active when the performance issue is being seen.

Beyond the above suggestions, more information would be needed, i.e. are you seeing this issue when ATI 2019 is not performing any backup tasks or only when making a backup etc?

Forum Hero
Comments: 6182

Wurden vorher Windows Updates installiert?

------------------

Were Windows Updates installed before?

https://borncity.com/win/2019/04/11/april-2019-updates-freezes-windows-7-8-1-10-server/

Forum Hero
Comments: 7750

Good question from G.Uphoff too! Lots of reports online with the latest patches hosing systems, especially in everything below windows 10.

Forum Star
Comments: 1126

There are reports of extreme slowdowns on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 with certain antivirus  software installed and the most recent windows updates . See Windows slowdowns. Do you have any of the AV's listed in the articles installed? Do you any recent windows updates installed?

Forum Star
Comments: 1126

There are recent report so f slowdowns when certain antivirus software is installed that appears to be caused by a recent windows update. See Windows Slowdown.

Forum Star

This is interesting: I have recently had some instability on one of my systems - could coincide with recent update. May do a backup recovery from before that update and see if that resolves the issue.

Ian

Legend
Comments: 16768

Not seen any issues personally and am running latest 1809 build on most computers along with the latest 18362 Insiders build which is meant to become the new 1903 build when it gets released eventually in May, or is it June or July...??  (Have currently stopped the Insiders to avoid being taken on to the 20H1 build path).

Forum Hero
Comments: 7044

I have not seen any impact on any of my systems from recent updates.  I do not use any of the mentioned Security apps either so not to surprised that nothing has gone wrong for me.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7750

Yup, most of the issues are from having specific AV installed with the updates. Here's a newer status...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-is-slower-after-april-2019-updates-according-to-users/

Regular Poster
Comments: 410

Nothing Noticed Here Either...

We have not had any issues or slowdown in Win10/64 latest ver 1809, however, I do not use Active Protection or 3rd party AV.  Using only stock  Win10 AV and Malwarebytes (Manual Only)....  

Forum Star

IanL-S wrote:

This is interesting: I have recently had some instability on one of my systems - could coincide with recent update. May do a backup recovery from before that update and see if that resolves the issue.

Ian

Uninstalling the appropriate update on the one PC on which I had this problem seems to have worked. In my case probably not related to AV program (all my PCs have the same one and it is not mentioned on any the post discussing this issue as being problematic).

Ian 

Forum Hero
Comments: 7044

Ian,

I had an experience with an update some months ago that causes very high CPU activity for a long period of time, do not remember for how long it was but if I recall correctly it lasted over 1 hour.  The culprit was Windows Defender even though I have it turned off!  The update contained the Malicious Software Removal tool which I believe ran Defender as part of its scan.