Skip to main content

Making Incremental Backup

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 26

I attached two screen shots. When I right click one of the backups I get a pop up list of nine options including validate. When I right click the other backups the pop up list only includes three items with  no options for validation or oepning the file location.  Why is that? 

I want to make a third incremental copy. Is it safe to do that?

After I made my backup with two incremental copies I shut down the computer and disconnected te HD with the backup archive. I later reconnected the HD. Does that have anything to do with why the backups are displayed in the Acronis list?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 4941

The backup appear to be Whole PC backups. I notice that the backups are not scheduled, but that probably is not something to be worried about.

If you select the backup file in explorer (or your preferred file manage) when selecting True Image, what options are there - should be mount and validate; what happens if you select validate. Another thing to test is what happens when you double click on the backup file, it should open the backup (once you have entered the password).

Another thing you can try removing the backup (select delete, then delete task not the backup itself), then add it back.

If none of these works, I would try a repair installation - see 60195: Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office, Acronis True Image: repair, update and clean installations on Windows

Ian

Forum Member
Comments: 26

Thanks, Ian.

When I right click in explorer I get the option to Validate, but not to mount. See screen shot 03

What does "mount" mean?

When I double click on s.3 I am prompted for the password.  After I enter the password an explore window opens and asks me to point to volume 1. Then a window opens and ask for me to point to volume 2 and then to volume 3. Finally a window opens and asks me to point to the last volume of the backup. After I do that when I click on any volume of the backup I see the archives showing in screen shot 04.

I assume that because I disconnected the hard drive with the backup tib files and later reconnected it,Acronis needed me to point to the current locations of the backup files.

I assume it is OK to go ahead an make a thrid incremental copy (s.4).

Attachment Size
608104-344662.jpg 250.58 KB
608104-344665.jpg 151.54 KB
Legend
Comments: 28229

Ron, the reason for the difference in options shown in your initial set of images is simply that you are comparing a task that has been run and created backup files and one that hasn't, hence the very limited set of options.

Mounting an image is only available for backup files that contain a Disk or Partition backup as that is required to be able to mount the partition or drive to a spare Windows drive letter as a virtual drive.

All files belonging to a backup task should be kept together in the same location, i.e. folder and drive otherwise the type of messages that you saw asking to locate missing files will be given.

Forum Hero
Comments: 4941

Doing a new incremental backup should work without any adverse effect.

"Mount" means that a drive letter is assigned to each partition (you will be asked which partitions are to be given a drive letter). I works in a similar way to creating a network share, however it is read only (you cannot modify the backup).

Ian