Skip to main content

Nonstop backup error "Internal Error in Library. The linked position is unknown"

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 53

Running nonstop backup of Appdata to SSD and getting "Internal Error in Library. The linked position is unknown".

Ran system report but could not raise ticket; got message that "payload was too great"!

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7995

Is this a local or a cloud backup?  You may want to grab the MVP logviewer and look for clues of the error. I've seen another similar (although slightly different error) recently (https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/acronis-cloud-backup-internal-error-library-stream-may-be-corrupted).  

I would definitely recommend contacting Acronis technical support and opening a case with them directly.  

Contact Support

Click on technical assistance, log in to your account and then either start a chat support or email support case.

Forum Member

Local backup.

Originally to SSD but problem persisted when I moved to HDD.

Decided to use an hourly backup instead.

I have raised a ticket.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7995

Good deal. Hope the hourly works well for the time being and that Acronis technical support can help resolve this. I’ve personally never used NSB as it seemed to have a lot of issues going back to 2015-2017. The 2018/2019 forums don’t have a lot of NSB feedback these days so assume it’s either mostly fixed, or mostly not used as much anymore. Using hourly’s as a work-a-round is my normal suggestion with 23 incrementals so you get a new full each day and don’t let the incrementals get out of hand.

Forum Member

Received response to my ticket.

Apparently this is a known problem and is being worked on.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Has anyone been able to figure out either the cause for this issue or how to resolve the issue. On July 11, 2019 Acronis Technical Support communicated to me:

We have received an update from the concerned team that this issue is expected to be fixed in the next version that is True Image 2020. There is no exact date of this release as of now. However, if you would like to receive updates on new releases you may subscribe to our newsletters which will ensure you are notified when the update first becomes available.

It occurs to me that a repair to fix Non-Stop backup should NOT be delayed.

I am wondering how many others have this issue, or am I one of the lucky few?

Please respond ONLY if you are also seeing this error message on a regular basis.

Attachment Size
505247-170029.JPG 148.35 KB
Beginner
Comments: 1

I have this exact problem, opened a ticket, and got the same response from customer support on 7/24, case number 04075350. However customer support did not go so far as to say that the fix would be in the next version, just this:

The issue reported by you is a known issue to us and it is currently being investigated by our development team. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. 

Unfortunately, we do not have any tentative date for the release of the fix, however, I suggest enabling automatic notification of new release in Acronis True Image application settings: 

Go to the Settings tab, and then select the Automatically check for updates at startup checkbox. 

Once the update is released you will receive a notification and you may install it and share the results with us by replying to this email. 

You would also be notified when Acronis releases any version or any new build. For that, please subscribe to Acronis Newsletter: https://kb.acronis.com/content/1658 

As a workaround, you can recreate the backup along with a new backup. Otherwise, instead of the non-stop backup, you can use the standard backup feature for Entire PC or Disk/File/Folder level backup using the Acronis True Image 2019.

This strikes me as a major issue considering that an advertised feature is worse than unusable since it has cost me significant troubleshooting time. If it were my product I would immediately issue a new patch disabling the feature altogether, assuming the fix is not trivial. I purchased the product because Win 10 File History gives no feedback on progress and is not very configurable, so I wasted my money. I am back to File History.

Beginner

Same problem.

I rolled back to 2018 version. It was most stable version. There is not "Internal Error in Library" error in nonstop backup. It worked fine.

2019 version is corrupted and with bugs.
2020 version i don't want to setup because i don't know how it will work. 
I need reliable protection.

Forum Star
Comments: 2868

There is hope that it may be fixed in the 2020 release. I have as yet had no issues but I do not recall ever having the error message reported here. I have had issues with the backups inexplicable stopping but not I think with the latest build of 2019.

Caveat: I am only using it to test reliability so the small selection of files being monitored my impact on the issue arising.

Ian

Forum Member
Comments: 41

Same problem. 

Same promise, that will be fixed in the 2020 version.

They just don't say when this version will be released.

Legend
Comments: 17175

2020 version is in Beta testing now and has been since June, currently on the 2nd beta version.

Acronis True Image 2020 Beta Program

Forum Star

The release date is 20 August 2019 - got email today about it.

I am have not seen it with ATI 2020 beta but do not recall ever having had that problem.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 1

Got the same problem.

Non-stop backup on extern HDD. Error occurs when hdd is directly connected to pc and when hdd is connected to router.

Using True Image 2019

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4545

info@theaterlokaal.nl wrote:

Got the same problem.

Non-stop backup on extern HDD. Error occurs when hdd is directly connected to pc and when hdd is connected to router.

Using True Image 2019

Hi!  I've checked your account and see that you're eligible for the free upgrade to Acronis True Image 2020. Please install the upgrade as described in https://kb.acronis.com/acronis-true-image-2020/upgrade and start a new nonstop backup. According to the information in our internal sources, the issue is solved in 2020.

Beginner

info@theaterlokaal.nl wrote:

Got the same problem.

Using True Image 2019

I solved the problem for myself.  I rolled back to version 23.2.13660 (True Image 2019 build 13660).  Everything works fine.  No errors in the program.  Apparently, the developers in this assembly of Acronis 2019 have not yet managed to break anything.  For over two weeks now, everything has been working well.

Forum Member
Comments: 41

I upgraded to ATI 2020 and Non Stop Backup is working perfectly.

For me, the case is solved.

Forum Star

Excellent news. You may be interested in this thread about another problem with nonstop backup in ATI 2020.

Ian