Skip to main content

NVME Upgrade - Boot Failure

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Writing in desperation - have trawled this forum for days and tried all the tips, no luck yet
I've use Acronis for over 10 years, mainly for cloning... two fails bring me here

1. DELL XPS 15 -  Samsung SM951 NVME 1TB Currently. Problem Upgrading to 2TB NVME...(Addlink)

Acronis Clone (used dozens+ of times on my laptops & PCs) = Fail

Acronis Backup and Restore all partitions = Fail

Macrium Reflect = Clone = Failed

I have tried RAID, AHCI, USB Boot.. Clone From/To and Clone To/From (Which always normally works 100%)

Clone succeeds but when I boot up the whirly dots carry on, and then it restarts and tries auto repair, fails to boot again....

1. Anyone got it to work?
2. Will XPS 15 950 work with 2TB?

2. Identical problem with my HP 820 G3 - M2 512GB SSD to M2 1TB NVME

- Tried Backup and Restore of partitions

- Tried Cloning both ways (normally old disk on USB enclosure cloning to new drive in laptop work 9/10)

- Attempted at least 10 times with different BIOS setting, disabled secure boot etc.

Tried every permutation and no boot... HELP!! Show me your wisdom

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7990

A couple of quick questions...

Is the original OS UEFI/GPT... Assuming so since it's already on an existing PCIe NVMe drive. Just checking.

I'd skip the clone and try backup and restore again. However...

1. Make sure you do a full shutdown or restart first to ensure the disk is not locked by fastboot (hibernation locked file)

2. Ensure you boot the rescue media in uefi mode. Use the Dell f12 one time boot option so you can specifically select uefi USB or uefi dvd boot

3. Are you using WinRE/winpe rescue media or the default Linux? I would recommend WinRE built from Acronis in the original system.

4. After recovery, ensure the original disk is not connected at all. Boot straight to the bios and ensure "windows boot manager" is first priority.. sometimes it is lower after restore or has the legacy boot option first - it will have the disk name if it is legacy and "windows boot manager" if it is uefi.

5. If it still fails to boot, let it fail 3 times. Then, in the fourth time, if you get the f8 safe mode option, select it. If the disk is locked, safe mode will unlock it. Once booted in safe mode, you should be able to boot normally after that.

There should be no issue booting a 2TB drive in UEFI mode. UEFI is a requirement for all pcie NVMe boot drives AND any disks larger than 2TB.

What is the exact model of your new drive(s)?