Skip to main content

Partition Errors

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

I'm trying to clone an HDD to SSD.  I keep getting the error message from Acronis that the partition contains errors and a sector by sector.....blah, blah, blah.  I've run chkdsk with all the recommended switches (letting it run overnight and yes, it did find errors) and even run the HDD diagnostic program from Toshiba (with surface scan).  All pass but Acronis insists that there are still errors.  That's issue number 1.  Please recommend additional ideas.

Next, I figured no big deal, it's a 750GB HDD with 290GB used and the new SSD is 500GB so who cares if the image is a bit larger with sector by sector imaging.  Attached the new SSD via USB and let it fly.  Success!  Or so I thought.  With the cloned SSD the keyboard does not work (Device Manager says it's working properly and reinstalling the driver does nothing).  Also, the sound card is not detected and missing.  And those are the two things I noticed right off the bat.  What is going on here?  Help please!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28237

John, welcome to these User Forums.

I'm trying to clone an HDD to SSD.  I keep getting the error message from Acronis that the partition contains errors and a sector by sector.....blah, blah, blah.  I've run chkdsk with all the recommended switches (letting it run overnight and yes, it did find errors) and even run the HDD diagnostic program from Toshiba (with surface scan).  All pass but Acronis insists that there are still errors. 

CHKDSK will only work against partitions that have a drive letter but not all partitions have this, though I would expect the Toshiba diagnostic tools for the drive to find any issues.

Do you still have the log from the clone attempt as that would help throw more light on what the issue is that it is complaining about?

Please download a copy of the MVP Log Viewer tool (see below for link) and use this to find the logs (assuming that the clone was done from the Windows ATI application, not using boot media).

With the cloned SSD the keyboard does not work (Device Manager says it's working properly and reinstalling the driver does nothing).  Also, the sound card is not detected and missing.

How are you testing the cloned SSD drive here?  If you are booting from the cloned SSD with the original source HDD drive still installed, then this can give this type of issue due to signature clashes.  A cloned drive is an identical copy of the source drive, right down to the drive signature level.  You should not attempt to boot into Windows with 2 drives connected with the same content and drive signature.

See forum topic: Keyboard and Mouse not working after cloning HDD to new SSD Windows 10 where a similar issue was reported on an older version of ATI.

Beginner

Steve, thanks for your response.  I'll use the MVP Log Viewer Tool and examine/post the logs.  The clone was done under the Windows ATI application and not from boot media.

I had the source HDD installed in the laptop and the target SSD connected via USB.  When ATI reported that the clone was complete I shut down the laptop, removed the HDD and installed the SSD.  I did not connect the old HDD to the laptop in any way.  Laptop booted fine.  Mouse worked fine.  Keyboard dead.  No sound hardware detected at all.  Device Manager shows no sound devices at all.  Weird right?  Mystifying.....  

Legend

John, I remember seeing other forum posts with similar issues after cloning but haven't been able to find any at the moment.

One suggestion would be to reinstall the latest Intel Chipset software for your Toshiba Satellite P755-55320 laptop from the main Toshiba Support page then restart your laptop and see what new hardware is found?

Beginner

Steve, thanks, I will re-clone and try that.  In the meantime, the log file is attached from the last attempted clone.  There seem to be a bunch of errors but I'll leave that up to you experts to determine if they're meaningful or not and what can be done about it.  Thanks again.

Attachment Size
461882-152559.docx 14.5 KB
Legend

John, thanks for the clone log file information.

This shows that Acronis has invoked the Universal Restore feature which is normally used when you are migrating to different hardware, so shouldn't be needed when cloning from and to the same hardware device.

This is one of the cases where using the Active Clone function of ATI 2018 or 2019 doesn't always play nicely!

It may be that the method you are using to connect the new SSD drive via USB is contributing to this problem, so if you continue to see the same problem and log entries, I would recommend doing this differently.

The options here would be as follows:

• Remove the original HDD drive, replace it by the new SSD, then connect the HDD externally to perform the clone.  This is the recommended method by Acronis.

• Make a full disk & partitions backup of the HDD to an external backup drive.  Then remove the HDD and replace with the SSD, then boot the computer from the Acronis Rescue Media and restore the backup from the external drive to the SSD.
Beginner

Thanks Steve, Option 1 will be attempted tonight.  Questions:

To boot, I assume I'll need to first build Acronis Rescue Media on optical disc or USB flash drive to run ATI.

Is there any need to wipe the SSD clean and delete the partitions that are on there currently from the failed clone?  If so, what would you recommend to accomplish that? 

Legend

John, yes, you should create the Rescue Media on USB or CD and test that you can boot this OK.

While the system is working ok, also run the msinfo32 command in Windows and note what it shows for the BIOS mode as you need to use the same BIOS mode when booting the Rescue media.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image 2017: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media - for examples of how the different modes look.

The first action of a clone operation is to wipe (clean) the target drive but you should be given a confirmation message for this.

Beginner

Update:  Placed SSD in laptop, source drive via USB, booted from Rescue Media (thumb drive), Legacy BIOS mode.  ATI is still seeing partition errors on source drive, but I went forward anyway.  Clone successful.  Keyboard non-functional and no sound hardware detected.  Same result.  Also, several other drivers missing in Device Manager.  Uninstalled all missing drivers, rebooted and let Windows go out and find/reinstall all of them.  There were a couple I had to fight with but all are working now.  I'm going to call this a success.  This is my wife's laptop and she's very happy that it's 100 times faster than it was with the SSD.  It still makes no sense to me that a "cloned" drive, which is supposed to be an exact copy of the original, would be missing drivers.  Thanks for your help.

Legend

John, glad to hear you have the new SSD working for your wife's laptop, but puzzling as to why the clone should do as it has done with the missing drivers!

Forum Member
Comments: 42

Just a thought from the sidelines, but is it worth exploring the process of making a full image of the old drive and restoring it to a new drive.  This should be the simplest option and the best way to keep all drivers intact.  I'm just curious to see what happens and don't yet have confidence that 2019 is worth upgrading to.  :-)