Skip to main content

problem with programmed backup

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 47

hello everyone......i have installed acronis true image and works fine....i have a little problem....when i program activity backup on another disk from disk n. 1, after that the disk of backup is full, also if i program delete old version, not delete and go out message backup activity is waiting for user interaction. if i delete manually backup on the hard disk of backup, works fine just to hard disk is full. it's not possible resolve this problem?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7368

How big is your source disk and how much space on the destination disk is available?

Acronis will not run a cleanup until AFTER the next full is complete. You'll need a minimum of 2-3 times the free space needed to support one backup to have an automated cleanup since it won't delete any older backups until the full is created in the next chain.

Example.

Daily incrementals of a 100GB disk that keep 6 incrementals in one version chain. You want to keep 2 chains before cleanup.

1st full on Monday is roughly 75GB with compression. Incrementals for Tuesdsay-Sunday will vary in size depending on how much data is changed or added to the OS disk each day. Let's estimate 20GB for the total of all those combined. So about 95GGB of space for that full chain.

You want to keep 2 chains so you need 95*2=190GB.      Plus you need another 75GB for the next full before a cleanup so you need at least 265GB free space in this example.

And this is just an example and you'd need a bit more free space for variation too.

In real life, estimate at least about 4 times the free space to have a decent retention scheme. For example, if you have a 250GB drive you're backing up, your destination would ideally be at least 1TB. And, as drives have come way down in price, the more space, the better. A 4TB drive on Amazon can be had for around $80 at times.

Forum Member

thanks for your reply....i don't used incrementals method, but complete method. the problem is that I have selected all my 250 gb disk, but compressed and less about 86gb .... I set in the backup to delete the copies older than 4 days, in order to allow to have useful space to be able to continue the copies backup, since in total my backup hard disk can contain about 7. suddenly the message of which I started the discussion comes out.

Legend
Comments: 16076

Giancarlo, there are misunderstandings around the automatic cleanup rules when using such as 'delete copies older than 4 days' as this depends on your other settings too.

Acronis does not delete any backup files until after a new backup has been created, so your oldest file must be older than 4 days at the point where the new backup has been created.

The easier automatic cleanup rule to use is 'Store no more than X recent version chains' where you have much better control and is much easier to understand.

With this scheme, you could select to use 'Store no more than 5 recent version chains' where you would need space to store a minimum of 6 x Full backup files on your drive, and the oldest file would be deleted after the 6th such file was created.

Forum Member

ok I'll try .... I'll send screenshots tomorrow so as to avoid making mistakes ... thanks for now .... I'll update tomorrow

Forum Member

i attach screenshot… i wait your reply...best regards.

Attachment Size
498699-167628.jpg 118.93 KB
Legend
Comments: 16076

Giancarlo, thank you for the screen image - this confirms that you are creating only Full backups and have set automatic cleanup to delete files older than 4 days.

As mentioned before, ATI does not delete anything until after a new Full backup has been created, so how this works for you will depend on how often you are creating new Full backup files and the actual size of the files along with the size of your backup drive and whether you are putting other files on that same drive too?

Example, if doing a daily Full backup & deleting files older than 4 days.

Day 1 - Full file #1 created size approx 90GB
Day 2 - Full file #2 created size approx 90GB (file #1 now 1 day old)
Day 3 - Full file #3 created size approx 90GB (file #1 now 2 days old)
Day 4 - Full file #4 created size approx 90GB (file #1 now 3 days old)
Day 5 - Full file #5 created size approx 90GB (file #1 now 4 days old)
Day 6 - Full file #6 created size approx 90GB (file #1 deleted)