Skip to main content

Problems creating media builder to Toshiba 2gb external drive

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Comments: 135

My laptop is a Samsung 13.3" screen Ultra Book running True Image 2019 under Windows 10 64bit. I am trying to create a Rescue Media Builder component on an Toshiba 2gb external drive. If I click on Rescue Media Builder in Tools I choose Simple and I get a box with ISO file, WIM file, Toshiba EXT (D) so I choose Toshiba, see attachment for the screen that then comes up, the problem is I cannot see the button to Proceed because my screen will not display the full height of the window, even if I hide the taskbar and move the box up. I am also unsure when configuring an image if I should include the SANDISK partition. See attachment.

Attachment Size
Acronis Media Builder.jpg 51.98 KB
Backup Source.jpg 67.11 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22810

Peter, your Backup Source image shows that you already have created an Acronis Survival Kit partition on your Toshiba 2TB external drive, therefore you do not need to try to create rescue media on that drive, and if you were to go ahead by selecting D: then you could potentially lose all the data currently stored on the NTFS partition of the drive.

I would suggest trying to boot your UltraBook from the Toshiba drive either via any boot menu key option or else by setting the BIOS to boot from the external drive.

Regular Poster

Thank you Steve for your reply. My problem, as I understand it is, the Acronis Survival Kit partition was created on my desktop PC and possibly would not be compatible with the Samsung laptop. A technician iis currently adjusting the BIOS to boot from external drives or rescue media CDs first. What I was thinking of doing is formatting the Toshiba drive (Would that erase the Acronis partition?) and then creating a rescue media partition on the drive that would then hopefully boot the Samsung into Acronis ready to restore an image on the same drive, but will I still have the same problem whereby the 'Proceed' button is below the bottom of the 13.3" screen?

Legend
Comments: 22810

Peter, the Survival Kit should be able to be used with different PC's and not limited to just one, but if you find that it doesn't want to work correctly with the Samsung, then there is an alternative method that you can use instead of wiping out the Toshiba drive.

Make a normal USB rescue media with the Simple method of the Acronis Media Builder using a USB memory stick (2GB to 32GB size) on the Samsung, then copy the \sources\boot.wim file from the memory stick to a local folder.

Next, download a copy of the free MiniTool Partition Wizard software and use this to unhide the Acronis HM (Survival Kit) partition on the Toshiba drive and to allocate a drive letter such as S:

Now copy the boot.wim file (created on the Samsung) to the \sources folder on the S: (Survival Kit) unhidden partition.

The last action is to use MTPW to hide the Acronis HM partition again & remove the drive letter though this is optional when using external HDD's.

Regular Poster

Thank you Steve, I shall have a go at that.