Skip to main content

Recovered drive will not boot.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Toshiba laptop running Win8.1, 64-bit. Had a hard drive failure, but managed to recover data files from the dead drive. Installed a new HDD (unformatted, not initialized), but the Linux-based recovery utility (USB) wouldn't recognize it, so I created WinPE USB media.

This worked fine, and after the last full backup I had (from Oct, using ATI 2017) was restored, the laptop rebooted just fine. It took a couple of reboots for things to settle in. Once everything looked stable, I began to recover the up-to-date data files I had salvaged. No system files, simply images and docs.

After the first file completed recovery, Acronis wanted to reboot again. This resulted in a blue error screen (0cx000025 I believe), and nothing I tried could get it to boot. I contacted Acronis chat support, and they said to redo the restoration.

I tried again (twice now, once with the WinPE, a second time with the Linux-based client), and both times, after Acronis says the restoration was successful, when I reboot I now go immediately into the Advanced Startup Options, and I've tried everything there, but nothing has worked.

Repair Startup says it was not possible to repair. Running chkdsk /f /r /x rejects the parameters, but if I only run chkdsk it runs in read-only mode, and reports there are no errors. I've gone into BIOS and checked/unchecked secure boot, and have moved the USB up and down the start order, none of this makes any difference.

That it did boot the first few times I believe tells me that the backup isn't corrupted (always passes verification, too), and the HDD is brand new and doesn't appear to have physical problems. (It is a 1TB HDD, while I'm moving from a 500GB. The first restoration limited the capacity to 500GB, but I don't believe that would be causing all this.)

I've read through other threads here with similar issues, so it appears it's not that unusual. Would it perhaps help to erase/format the HDD before trying again? (and if so, how?) I know the restoration process supposedly scrubs the drive prior to restoring, but maybe there's something that's not clearing? I'm not sure what else I can do, any and all suggestions most welcome.

Thanks!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16044

Suzy, welcome to these public User Forums.

Sorry to read of the issues you have encountered after your disk failure.

I would recommend going back to your initial steps in the recovery process that resulted in being able to boot from the new drive successfully as you wrote in the quote below:

I created WinPE USB media.

This worked fine, and after the last full backup I had (from Oct, using ATI 2017) was restored, the laptop rebooted just fine. It took a couple of reboots for things to settle in.

Once you have a working computer again, then please come back here before you attempt to perform any file recovery.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7341

Ditto to Steve's comment.  Get up and running and we can go from there. 

After the first file completed recovery, Acronis wanted to reboot again.

No idea what files/folders you're are attempting to recover - although you mention that they aren't system files, when just recovering raw data files, there should be no prompt to reboot.  You can't restore an entire user profile this way, or even parts of it (things like appdata in the user profile can be tied to applications).  If it is pure data (documents, music, videos, etc). this should be pretty easy. 

Personally, I would always recommend that you recover "data" to a new location (like an external USB drive) and make sure the recover goes well.  Then, from there, copy and paste the data from there to the final location in Windows.  This should warn you if you are about to overwrite something that already exists, or limit any type of permission issues that might be compounded if trying to recover straight to the original location and may not be obvious when it's happening all at once.

And, as far as the recovery goes, you might find that it's easier to double-click your backup .tib so it opens in Windows file explorer and then copy/paste out of it (again to a temp location first and then to the final destination after that).