Skip to main content

Recovery Failed

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 37

I booted up my recovery USB and did a restore of full disk (my windows 10 C drive).

Every thing looked normal but at the end I got a popup window that said Recovery Failed and no other information.

But the system booted up and everything seems to work, however I am worried about backing up the disk for future recoveries.   

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21992

The only real way to know what issue may have caused the fail message would be to look at the log for the recovery but this has to be done or saved while still in the rescue environment as all is lost on restarting the computer.

Forum Member

How would I display the logs when in recovery mode ?

Legend

Forum Member

In the log

Error a format/resize error

Error a format/resize error

A bunch of Information with no details

Error no details

Error no details

Legend

The format/resize errors indicate that ATI was unable to resize some of the partitions to fit correctly on the target drive.

The log shows the sequence of actions being performed and the before / after sizes that ATI is trying to achieve, so it should be possible to tell which partitions gave the error.

The easiest method around this type of issue is to do some manual resizing first so that the partitions don't need any significant resizing when being restored or cloned etc.

Forum Member

I think the problem was I accidentally booted my USB recovery in UEFI mode instead of BIOS mode.

Would this cause this type problem ?

Legend

It's possible but if your PC supports UEFI, it would have migrated the drive from MBR to GPT and created a new EFI System Partition along with keeping a small MSR one.

Forum Member

My PC does support UEFI. It was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it is BIOS boot.

I ran the recover again making sure I booted the ATI USB in BIOS mode and it worked OK.

I am now a happy camper.

Cheers,

Forum Member

Added info for anyone reading this.

The recover operation that failed ran really slow. It book about 3 times a long to recover as when it worked OK.

Legend

Glad that you have a working recovery and system!  Thanks for the updates / feedback.