Skip to main content

Restoring Acronis Ture Image Home Windows 10 Pro backup to new computer with SSD and HHD drives.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

Hello. I have an older home computer.  It has Windows 10 Professional 64 bit installed on a 2TB HDD which was backed up with Acronis True Image Home. I have a new computer that came with a 128MB SSD (C-Drive), and a 2TB HDD (D-Drive). The Windows 10 operating system is pre-installed on the new computer’s SSD drive, and they have the HDD drive set up as a data drive. Is there a way to restore the Acronis backup to the new drive without losing data, or having to re-install my programs? The SSD drive does contain the “Program Files” folder. I know how to use Acronis to restore to another computer that has HDD without an SSD drive, as I have done it before. Thanks.

1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22810

Johnny, welcome to these public User Forums.

Important: please make a full disk backup of the new computer <before> you attempt to do any restore of the backup from your old computer.

Next: what edition of Windows 10 came preinstalled on the new computer?  Is it Windows 10 Pro 64-bit the same as the old computer, or is it Windows 10 Home?

If the new computer does not have the same edition, then you will need to purchase a new license to use your Windows 10 Pro OS on it.

How much data is included in your backup of the old computer 2TB drive with the OS on it?  Will this fit within the 100GB size of the SSD in the new computer?  You should always leave around 20% free space on the SSD drive or else will see very poor performance!

If you are thinking that you can just recover only the OS and installed applications from the old computer, then this is not possible.  Acronis can only recover whole disks or partitions!

I would further suspect that the 128GB SSD drive is a NVMe M.2 PCIe type card drive, which in turn requires that Windows 10 used UEFI BIOS mode and GPT partitioning scheme. 
What BIOS mode is used on your old computer?  Run the command msinfo32 in Windows and check the BIOS mode value shown in the right panel?  This needs to show as UEFI or else would need to be migrated from MBR to GPT for the new computer.

If your old computer was previously upgraded from an older version of Windows such as Windows 8.1 or 7, then I would recommend keeping the preinstalled Windows 10 on the new computer, and just reinstalling your applications, then copying across your user data (documents, pictures, etc) to the second data HDD drive, so that these do not fill your SSD.

Please see KB 19296: Acronis products cannot be used to transfer applications to different system or upgrade OS

Forum Star
Comments: 3948

I have a few comments to add to what Steve Smith advises.

It is possible to do a clone that excludes parts of the drive contents. I did this recently with ATI 2021 where I cloned a 3 TB SeagateMedia HDD to a 2 TB Seagate HDD. [The reason I did a clone was that the HDD has my Acronis Backup files in it and it would save a lot of messing around reconfiguring backup tasks. I excluded 1.5TB of other files from the cloning.] As it was a data drive I was able to do so from within Windows. To do so for a System drive would be more problematic. I would not recommend doing so. Things could go very wrong. I would do the clone to a spare HDD if you have one.

Things would be easier if much you currently have a separate data partition. If there is sufficient free space you could reduce the size of the C partition, crate a new partition and copy data to that partition. You may need to do subsequent resizing of the partitions followed by moving data. This could be a time consuming process.

Another possibility would be to create a files and folders backup of the data, then delete the data, and hope you end up with something which will fit on a 128 GB SSD. These day it is difficult to fit Windows and program files on such a small SSD.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 1

Steve Smith and IanL-S,  thank both of you for your fast response.

Steve Smith - I will make a full backup of the new computer before I attempt to restore. The new computer has Windows 10 Professional 64 bit preinstalled on it.

The backup of the old computer contains 1.81TB of data. This data is on the same drive as the OS. This data will not fit on the 128GG SSD drive in the new computer. Thanks for the information regarding leaving around 20% free space on SSD drive.

The old computer has Legacy Bios

IanL-S;  Thank you for the shared information. I will definitely keep this in mind!