Skip to main content

Trying to migrate existing Windows 10 install to RAID, "INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE" after Recover and Universal Restore

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 4

I am stumped, looking for some advice.

Scenario:
I have ASUS m2a-vm motherboard
The BIOS currently is configured with RAID disabled. Windows 10 installed and running. ATI installed and running.
I want to enable my BIOS RAID and not loose my existing Windows 10 install. 
Windows 10, and Windows 10 installer does not automatically load drivers for ASUS m2a-vm BIOS raid (SB600)

Steps:
1. Create a disk image of all partitions of my existing Windows 10 installation (when BIOS RAID is disabled).

2. Configured the BIOS to enable RAID and created a RAID 10 logical disk. 

3. Created a bootable 'MVP_Tool bootable media' using MVP_Tool WinPE builder, using Windows 10 ADK 
Windows ADK - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install#winADK    
Addon - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/download-winpe--windows-pe

This 'MVP_Tool bootable media' includes Acronis True Image Backup/Recover and Acronis Universal Restore.
My first attempt 'MVP_Tool bootable media' was not able to see my RAID 10 logical drive. 
Troubleshooting Tip: Test with original Windows 10 install media, by default it will not see my RAID Logcial drive created in Step 2. Perform "Have Disk" during the installation process and manually load the RAID drivers, Windows 10 installer then sees my RAID 10 logical drive.
Copy these same RAID drivers into MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v182\Drivers_Custom\x64\ when re-creating the above MVP Tool WinPE builder. 

4. Boot from the 'MVP_Tool bootable media' and run Acronis True Image Recovery. 
I am able to see my RAID 10 logical drive (ie: my manually installed RAID drivers during step 3 are in fact working) 
Perform disk recovery of the original Windows 10 image (from step 1) and all partitions and recover it to the new RAID 10 logical drive.

5. After successful Recovery I remove the 'MVP_Tool bootable media', Reboot PC and Windows does not boot.
This is expected as this Windows 10 restored image does not have the RAID drivers installed yet!

6. Insert the 'MVP_Tool bootable media' and reboot the PC and run Acronis Universal Restore. 
Acronis Universal Restore sees my Windows 10 restored image
I click on 'Automatic driver search > Add folder' and browse to the same drivers that I used when creating the MVP_tool bootable media. 
Click OK, process continues and reports success. 
Remove 'MVP_Tool bootable media' and reboot computer
Computer appears to start booting windows but then BSOD complaining "INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE"

7. Insert the 'MVP_Tool bootable media' and boot PC
Re-run Universal Restore
and then select "Mass storage drivers to install anyway > Add driver..."
Browse and select the same drivers that I used to create MVP_tool bootable media.
Click OK, process continues and reports success. 
Remove 'MVP_Tool bootable media' and reboot computer
Computer appears to start booting windows but then BSOD complaining "INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE"

Now I am stumped. 
I am expecting that because my WinPE based on Windows 10 was able to see my RAID 10 logical drive (after manually installing the RAID drivers) that I then need to use Universal Restore to install these drivers into the Windows 10 image that was restored onto my Raid 10 Logical drive. 
I have performed this step 6&7 but still my original Windows 10 installation will not boot once migrated to my RAID 10 logical drive?

Any advice appreciated. 
Thank you. 
Paul.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1774

Good post. I understand exactly what you have done and it's all good. I'll try to help you, but I'm a little skeptical about running RAID in Windows 10 on that old motherboard. I looked at the Asus support website and they don't list any drivers for Windows 10. I also looked at Windows 8.1 and didn't see any drivers available for download. Where did you get the RAID driver you used? Did it come from the Asus support DVD? The one glimmer of hope I see is that the driver did work in the Windows 10 ADK.

Here's some things to try in order:

1. Inject the RAID driver into the restored system that has had UR run on it. Do this by booting the MVP Tool. Use the File Manager to determine the drive letter of the Windows 10 system. This will most likely be C:, but could be different depending on how many drives are installed on the computer. Open a command prompt and enter the following line using the drive letter of the Windows 10 system:

dism /Image:C: /Add-Driver /driver:"C:\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v182\Drivers_Custom\x64\RAID" /recurse /ForceUnsigned

Change the word RAID in the above line to the name of your RAID driver folder. See if the driver was successfully installed. If it was, try booting Windows 10. If that doesn't work, go to step 2.

2. Restore the Windows 10 system again. This time don't run UR. Now inject the RAID driver using the line in step 1.

Try booting Windows 10 again. If that doesn't work, post back and we'll try to figure out the next thing to try.

Beginner

Mustang Thank you!. 

The RAID drivers are Vista x64 Drivers from ASUS. (Yes this is an old Motherboard)

I performed an equivalent command on my system 

dism /Image:C: /Add-Driver /driver:"C:\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v182\Drivers_Custom\x64\RAID" /recurse /ForceUnsigned

and the driver reported to be installed successfully. I rebooted and my Windows 10 install came up!

So, this begs the question.. Why? what is different from the command line above than what the Universal Restore is  performing? 

Maybe Universal Restore would benefit from having this 3rd option to perform an equivalent to manually install? 

Thank you again.

Paul.

Forum Star

Great to hear it worked! Did you inject the driver into the system after Universal Restore was applied, or did you restore again without running Universal Restore and inject the driver?

I think Universal Restore sometimes causes problems when the hardware is essentially the same. I once did a test. I applied Universal Restore to a system where there was no change at all. The system then failed to boot. I never did figure out why it went wrong, because I don't know exact what Universal Restore does. Your case was almost the same. It was exactly the same hardware with only the SATA controller changed. 

Beginner

Mustang, 

I injected the driver successfully after 2 different scenarios. 

First scenario was after multiple attempts to use Universal Restore unsuccessfully. I then injected the driver and Windows booted. By this time I had been trying various changes to my RAID setup thinking that may have been the problem. ie: I changed from RAID 10 to RAID 1. 

Second scenario I configured my RAID to RAID 10 and then performed Restore and then directly injected the driver without attempting Universal Restore and this also worked. 

Forum Star

Thanks for the additional information. For some reason it looks like Universal Restore didn't actually inject the RAID driver. Maybe it saw the driver as not being Windows 10 certified and skipped it. It's hard to say why.

Forum Star
Comments: 1211

dism /Image:C: /Add-Driver /driver:"C:\MVP_ATIPEBuilder_v182\Drivers_Custom\x64\RAID"

Wow!  If anybody needs a justification for using the MVP WinPE Builder instead of ATI's built in Media Builder, you gave it right there!  I knew having the command prompt window was handy but I hadn't taken it far enough.

Forum Star

Patrick,

Thanks for the endorsement. But to be fair to the Acronis WinPE Media Builder, it does have a command window. You just need to close out the True Image GUI to use it. When you're done using the command window you just enter:

"X:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\trueimage_starter.exe"

to restart True Image if you need to use it after using the command window.

Forum Star
Comments: 1211

OK.  I stand corrected.  But it's still a lot more handy to the command prompt (and a file explorer, and a browser, and all the other stuff) available without having to shut down the ATI GUI.

Forum Star

Hi Paul,

It would be great if you opened a support case for this issue. There is definitely a problem with Universal Restore that should be fixed. You surely followed the correct procedure. Acronis would need to test the fix on your system, so it wouldn't do any good for me to open the case.

Beginner

Mustang, I have entered a ticket referencing this post. 

I would be willing to test /validate any potential fix provided by Acronis. 

My vote also still goes to the MVP tool. It is MUCH MUCH better than the default tool. I find the default tool is not great and very slow to use / navigate etc. Was also very painful to get a USB key to actually boot etc. 

Beginner

FYI

I tested on a newer Motherboard which supports IRST 

I took image of drive while running in normal SATA mode

Then converted BIOS to RAID and created simple array 

I then was able to use MVP_Tool ATI to restore 

When I booted I received INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE. (Expected)

I then booted with MVP_Tool Universal Restore and did not manually select or install any raid drivers (IRST are included by default), I ran the Universal Restore and it reported Success. 

I then booted the machine successfully into windows 10. 

Forum Star

Thanks for that info. It's nice to know Universal Restore worked in that situation.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Reviving an old thread, but this method was successful in migrating a windows 10 install from an Intel raid 5 on an i5 6600K (whatever Z chipset came out with skylake) to an AMD X570 r5 3600 Raid 10.  I already knew about drvload and was using that to be able to recover the data onto the new system, but kept struggling with "inaccessible boot device" issues, but this is the first time seeing Dism in use.  Wow, this is pretty powerful, and thanks for the tip.