Skip to main content

Unable to lock the disk.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

Hello! I get an error when I try to clone a disk.

Attachment Size
IMG_20190205_125547 (1) (1) (1).jpg 1.29 MB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 15744

Andry, welcome to these public User Forums.

This error is normally caused because you are cloning when your computer is in a hybrid sleep state rather than having been shutdown fully.

ATI 2019 allows for Active Cloning which can be performed from within Windows by using the Microsoft VSS snapshot service.  This works best when the target drive for the clone does not already contain any Windows OS.

To avoid going into hybrid sleep either use the Restart option instead of Shutdown, or else press & hold the Shift key when pressing on Shutdown.  Hybrid sleep = Windows Fast Start.

Beginner

I tried both rebooting and shutting down completely. Active Cloning doesn't work either. Hangs on stage-select the destination disk for the cloned data.

Legend

Ok, then much more information is needed here to try to understand what is happening?

What drives are involved here, what sizes, how connected etc?

What version of Windows OS is being used?

What version / build of ATI are you using, i.e. is this ATI 2019 build 14690 (latest build)?

Beginner

OS Windows 10 x 64

HDD - 1Tb /SATA. OS partition 120Gb

New disk SSD - 240Gb /SATA

Yesterday I tried ATI 2017, today paid for a new license ATI 2019 build 14690 but also does not work.

Active Cloning shows this inscription and does not go further

Attachment Size
488206-163740.jpg 14.61 KB
Legend

Andry, sorry but the image shows nothing of value to understanding what is happening here.

Please download the MVP Log Viewer tool and use this to access the log file information for your cloning actions as this may show more detail of what is going on?

Link to the tool is in my signature below.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7192

Andry,

I can't tell if you're using rescue media to clone, or Windows - it looks like an older rescue media of 2017, but I can't tell.

1) Make sure you're using the latest 2019 version.  Try to clone directly in Windows if it let's you.  You'll need to make sure that Windows can see the new and the existing drive before you try though (make sure the new disk is initialized and showing a drive letter in Windows).

2) If that doesn't work for some reason, create Acronis Rescue media using the 2019 winRE method and then boot that up and try to clone.

HOWEVER, before you boot it up... A) Do a full shutdown by pressing SHIFT+shutdown or use command prompt and type shutdown /p.

This will ensure a full shutdown instead of a possible hybrid shutdown where the disk may remain locked by a hibernation file.

Beginner

Thanks for the replies! But it doesn't help me.

Now I understand that the Acronis is only advertising. Software is not working, tech support not responding. Acronis creates the illusion of reliability and doesn't really work but only raises money every year. I found a few more topics with a similar problem that hasn't been solved since 2015. I also found a great free software that solved my problem in 4 simple steps. I'm upset that I've been paying for licenses for over 5 years, and getting a pacifier.

Forum Hero

Use what works for you!

But your other comments are misguided. Acronismvp works great for most people and offers different features not found in other products. I not only use Acronismvp but other paid products and free products too. Each has positive and negative features for my environment and use cases and will differ with others. 

Unfortunately, you didn't provide any actual details to the thread that might have helped identify or resolve your issue. When you ask for help, but don't provide background or details requested by people wanting to help, well, then you won't find answers.

Glad you found something else that your happy with though. I hope it works out in the long run.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Andry

I also have been getting this message when backing up my hard drives:

" Unable to lock the disk. Boot your computer from a Lunix- based bootable media, and then try again "

The program just sit there. ! Whats going On ! I'm using Acronis True Image 2019

I may have to rethink or look into using a different Program to backup my hard drives.

Mark

Forum Hero

Andry, when are you seeing this? Are you using rescue media or is this from windows? Are you cloning or restoring a backup? If a backup restore, is  it an entire disk or files/folders? If files, are you attempting to restore to the original location with existing permissions?

Really hard to provide a random "guess" to answer your question, which is the best you'll get without some information from your end.

Assuming a clone or a full disk restore is being tried...

1. You need to boot full Windows and do a full shutdown before anything. Fastboot on windows 8, 8.1, 10 locks a drive with a protected hibernation file that windows will recognize on the source disk and winpe or WinRE rescue media is windows and will see it too.  Unlock the disk by doing a full shutdown so windows does not using a locked hibernation file and fastboot. Shutdown /p ensures a full shutdown.

And

2. likely, you either need to format the destination disk and make sure it's initialized as the same as the source image (MBR or GPT), or the destination disk already has windows on it and should be formatted anyway so an existing OS (which also could be locked by fast start hibernation) is not present. In windows, delete the volume and then initialize correctly first. Or in rescue media, use add new disk feature to initialize the destination disk first.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I have same problem, I think. I have a Dell Inspiron 5270 laptop, Windows 10 Pro, 1803, 17134.523. ATI 2019, 14690. I created a Rescue Disk (DVD) with the Simple option.

I shut down from the command prompt with "shutdown /p". I booted to the drive select and specified the DVD drive.

Recover, Select backup, Recover whole disk and partitions, selected all 4 partitions. 

Window says "Locking partition E:" , times out with the message "Unable to lock the disk. Boot your computer from a Linux-based bootable media, and then try again."

I checked Logs, but there was nothing there. 

Legend

Clarence, welcome to these public User Forums.

Are you able to determine which actual partition E: relates to when you see this message from the ATI application running from the rescue media DVD?  Drive letters are often changed in that bootable media environment and identifying the 'locked' partition may help with understanding why it may be locked?

I would recommend trying doing a 'Restart' from your Windows 10 desktop with your ATI DVD in place, then pressing the Boot Menu override key (normally F12 for Dell) when opportunity is given, as this should guarantee that you are not in a Windows Fast Start state / aka hybrid sleep.

Beginner

Unless it would help in diagnosis, I see no reason to test your restart suggestion, since I want to be able to rescue when it is not possible to start Windows.

I don't know what partition E: is, but I have an idea how to find out. Tonight, when I will have time, instead of trying to recover all 4 partitions at the same time, I will try to recover them one at a time. 

Legend

Clarence, in a situation where it is not possible to start Windows, then the easiest method to avoid this type of issue is to simply ensure the target drive is wiped clean before attempting a restore, this way there can be no locked partitions.

The first step of a normal recovery would do exactly this, i.e. wipe the target drive, but this is being stopped by the locked partition, probably because of a hybrid sleep state or hibernation type flag being set for the partition in question.

Forum Hero

Clarence,

Fastboot locking a disk can impact rescue media too. If you have an SSD drive, the boot time isn't that much better with it enabled either, and because of the risk of a drive becoming locked and not allowing it to be accessed by rescue media, I have disabled it on all of my Windows 10 systems. My system still only takes 12 seconds from post to the time I enter my password and see the desktop.

I'd also recommend checking out this post about the issues a locked drive can pose.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win10-fast-start-up-quick-boot-warning-suggestion/5fec376c-d876-4033-85f6-32c2d2cb5e03

Forum Hero
Comments: 6999

If you want to avoid the issue with cannot lock the drive in Windows 8 - 10 do this:

Hold down the Shift key while clicking Shutdown from the Power menu.  This will force a complete shutdown of all apps and Windows OS.

Beginner

I discovered that if I click on OK on the error message, another attempt to lock the disc is made. Eventually, the partition gets locked. Proceeding, the request is made to select the disk on which the image is to be written. Part of the time, the SATA disk is greyed out and only the USB disks are selectable. Repeating the entire process eventually gets to the point of deleting the partitions, which I did not do.

I certainly don't feel comfortable with the erratic behavior of the Rescue software. If I were to have a real 'disaster', I would like to have more confidence in in the ability to recover the system. 

I feel like there's nothing more to discuss in the way of getting help with a problem, but that there are a few bugs or design issues that need to be fixed. 

Forum Hero

Clarence,

In your previous post you said you used the Shutdown /p command and still got the unable to lock the disk message.  If you want to use the command prompt then you need to add the /f switch with the Shutdown command.

Example Shutdown /p /f

This will force all applications to close which removes all open files from the Hyberfil which in turn will allow for the disk to be locked.

Beginner

Same issue.  can't boot from usb, because it's not uefi bootable.  switch to legacy, it won't lock the drive.

Clone on 3rd party machine, won't boot.

Anyone ever gotten this to actually work on windows 10?

Legend

Scott, all recent Acronis USB rescue media can boot in either UEFI or Legacy modes but whether this does so on your computer can depend on how the BIOS is implemented.

The last time I had an issue booting rescue media in UEFI mode was on an Acer laptop which would not allow me to do so if Secure Boot was enabled.

Forum Hero

If you are getting Cannot Lock Drive error then you must first perform a complete shutdown of the PC prior to booting the recovery media.

The easiest way to completely shutdown a Win 10 machine is to hold down the Shift key then click on Shutdown in the Power button menu.

Forum Hero

Steve Smith wrote:

Scott, all recent Acronis USB rescue media can boot in either UEFI or Legacy modes but whether this does so on your computer can depend on how the BIOS is implemented.

The last time I had an issue booting rescue media in UEFI mode was on an Acer laptop which would not allow me to do so if Secure Boot was enabled.

Ditto to this. 

Also, uefi booting is specific to the architecture at build. Uefi 32 bit can only boot on 32 bit bios hardware. Uefi 64 bit can only boot on  64 bit bios architecture.

The Linux rescue media (check your flash drive) has efi/boot and both the ability to boot 32 bit and 64 bit as it contains bootia32 and bootx64.

The winpe/WinRE typically only has uefi bootability for the type of system it was built on.... Or whatever type you made if using the MVP custom media builder or default Acronis builder which lists the architecture as 32 bit or 64 bit when using the advanced option. 

Most modern systems are 64bit uefi. There are still some budget laptops and tablets that are 32bit uefi only (they typically have less than 4GB of memory installed or supported). 

Beginner

I had the same issue. I solved it by formating the destination disk. (it has a "C" but i was going to overwrite it, so...)

It worked for me, but i understand that it is not the best solution...