Skip to main content

Unable to lock the disk. Boot your computer from a linux-based media

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 3

I have recently upgraded my ATI 2019 to 2020. With OS Windows 10 Pro 64. Whenever I try to recover whole partition using Acronis Bootable Media, Acronis window gives me error “Unable to  lock the disk. Boot your computer from a Linux-based bootloader media”. Shutting down while holding the shift key with no success.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21992

Mehr, there are various opinions of this annoying issue!

Creating and using the Acronis Linux based rescue media does work as Linux ignores whatever in the file system from Windows is holding a lock on the disk drive.

Other users say that retrying the recovery multiple times, i.e. 3 or 4 or more, can cause ATI to be able to lock the disk and proceed with the recovery.

Personally, I have one system where I have hit this recently and only the Linux media will get past the error message!

Beginner

Dear Steve, thank you for your reply. Using linux-based bootable media, it did not detect pc partitions, and only external hard drives are available as destination partitions. I have gathered the log.

Lastly I created a ticket for this issue.

Legend

What type of PC partitions / internal disk drive are not being detected by the Linux media?

The only other method that I know will work when this lock issue is encountered is to use the 'Add new disk' option in the WinPE rescue media, selecting the correct target drive and setting this to the correct partition format (GPT or MBR) then leaving the drive as unformatted.  This will then not have any locks to prevent ATI from restoring the disk backup to it.

The key downside to doing this is that you have to recover the whole disk, so cannot use this approach to just restore a single partition!

Beginner

Thank you very much Steve. Yes selecting "add new disk" resolved the issue.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I am currently facing this issue. Windows 10. When running recovery, I select the drive and right click and select Recovery

I then select Disk 1 and verify all others below are checked. Click next, and I get the above error message. 

I have tried to add a new disk, but that does not resolve the issue. Instead I am just getting the same error message. 

This happened on multiple computers. 

Legend

Julie, welcome to these public User Forums.

Sorry but need to start from the beginning here with your issue.

What exactly are you trying to do and how are you trying to do it?

What are you trying to recover, are you trying to do this from within Windows, or are you booting your computer using Acronis Rescue Media?  If the latter, which type of rescue media are you using?

For the ATI 2018 & later version rescue media, there are 3 different versions available:
Simple:  created based on your Windows Recovery Environment for WinPE media.
Advanced: created based on Windows ADK (or AIK for earlier OS versions) - WinPE media.
Advanced: created based on a small Linux distro OS (BusyBox) or created from the .ISO CD image download from your Acronis Account page.

Are you recovering to the same / original drive the backup was made from, or to a different drive?  If the latter, is the different drive of the same size as the original?  What size of data is being restored?