Skip to main content

Volume Shadow Copy Service error 12293, Failed to create restore point 8193

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 18

[Using True Image 2019 Build 14690 installed today. Previously using 2014 with no problems.]

I am experiencing the following error (three instances relating to two separate volumes). I have no USB drives on the PC, and all drives are standard SATA connections. Also, when attempting to access the Windows 10 System Protection control panel, an error is displayed " There was an unexpected error in the property page: System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore Again (0x81000203)." System restore was working correctly prior to Acronis 2019 install.

As I type this I also notice it is happening on other PC's with True Image 2019 installed also -> i.e. unable to access Windows 10 System Restore. I also find several similar posts on internet, with the only apparent solution to remove Acronis all together - but I'm hoping there is a solution..

EVENT VIEWER ERRORS:

--------------------------------------

EVENT ID 8193: Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\WINDOWS\system32\srtasks.exe ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation; Description = Scheduled Checkpoint; Error = 0x8004230f).

EVENT ID 12293: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::IsVolumeSupported() failed with 0x8000ffff [hr = 0x8000ffff, Catastrophic failure
].

Operation:
   Check If Volume Is Supported by Provider

Context:
   Execution Context: Coordinator
   Provider ID: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Volume Name: \\?\Volume{a54b480b-5953-11e5-bfac-848f69f57e74}\

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7038

I'd try disabling system protection and re-enabling it.  Check to see if there might be 2 instances of the same drive as well (disable both - which will remove the "bad" one) and then enable on the remaining one.  You'll lose restore points, doing this, but it may fix the issue and then you can manually create a new restore point right after.

This is just a guess, but it is a common issue with System protection / restore points in Windows (not related to Acronis, but possibly exasperated in this case from upgrading.  

Also, did you do a full uninstall of 2014 before installing 2019?  This is a requirement from migrating from 2015 (or earlier to the new interface in 2016 and later)

Beginner

Hi.

I'd removed Acornis True Image 2014 and restarted before installing 2019. Noteably the described bug is happening on 3 out of 4 Windows 10 PC''s, some of which didn't have 2014 installed.

I cannot disable Windows System Protection becuase if I try to access the System Protection tab of the WIndows System Properties Panel, an error pop up appears saying: "There was an unexpected error in the property page: System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore Again (0x81000203). Please close the poperty page and try again." It doesn''t get as far as displaying the drives. This panel was working correctly immedately prior to Trueimage 2019 install, and even during Trueimage 2014 usage.

Any further suggestions most welcome. I rely on System Restore as much as Trueimage, so need both ideally. I can't be the only Windows 10 Trueimage user with this bug on all my installs can I?

I've just tried uninstalling Trueimage 2019 from one of the PC's and it does not remove the System Restore issue. It seems the corruption happens when Trueimage is installed, and does not rectify itself when it is removed.

Any help most welcome..!

Legend
Comments: 15465

I have got ATI 2019 installed on multiple different computers and have been replying to posts about ATI 2019 in the forums since it was in Beta stage and have not encountered this particular issue in any of these cases.

First suggestion would be to ensure that you have done a full restart of Windows to ensure there are no issues related to Windows Fast Start - doing a Restart should be sufficient, else press & hold the Shift key when clicking on Shutdown.

Next, download & run the Acronis VSS Doctor tool to check for any issues in this directly related area as System Protection shares the same System Volume Information folders as VSS.

If you still have issues after the above steps, then you are in the realm of using such as the System File Checker integrity tool, SFC /SCANNOW etc.

You could also open a Support Case direct with Acronis for this issue.

Beginner

Hi Steve,

I've done a full restart several times. Also ran the VSS doctor tool, that apart from the event viewer items, says there are no VSS problems. I've also run SFC /SCANNOW, which says there are some errors it could not fix, but these seem minor ones related to OneDrive and not of any significance.

Legend

Check the status of the following Windows services:

Volume Shadow Copy
Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider
Microsoft Storage Spaces SMP

If these are stopped (as they are often by default), then try starting them and see if you can then access the System Protection settings?  If you can, then turning off Protection then on again may be the best way forward, accepting that any current restore points will be lost.

See also webpage: Cannot configure system protection nor create restore point - and in particular the last post which found a registry change that solved this issue for the poster.

Beginner

Thanks Steve. Just tried that registry setting change on one of the PC's (before I read your post), and now cannot boot it up. Now I've made a crisis out of a drama.

Another thread here that you replied to sounds very familiar - not sure if I understand the posters solution, but they too mention Kaspersky:

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/upgrade-ti-2019-breaks-win-10-1809-system-restore

Legend

Hmm not good!  Do you have an Acronis backup for the non-booting computer?

Beginner

I do...but its a Macbook running bootcamp (its the Windows Bootcamp bit that isn't booting). Unless I can work out how to restore just the registry, I'm in a mess.

Thought I'd experiment on that one, but realise no it wasn't a good choice.

Legend

Beginner

Wish I'd done that. Unfortunately I was only running True Image on the windows side.

Forum Hero

The flash

If you have your Windows installer disc, you could try to do a startup repair.  Alternatively, if you're able to boot WinPE rescue media (which is basically what a Windows installer disc is), there are portable registry applications that will allow you to modify the registry of a different OS.  You would need to "load hive" and connect to the other registry which would be located on the disk at 

C:\Windows\System32\config\system (Also, from the WinPE, it might not be C:\ if it has a different volume letter in WinPE)

When prompted, give it a name (I usually just call mine "1" to keep it simple) and it will be loaded to hkey_local_machine\1

From there, you could attempt to reverse the registry changes you made.  Keep in mind, you can't just import the registry this way if you exported it because you now have the additional folder name since you're loading a registry of a different machine into one that's already booted. 

Unfortunately, this all gets more complicated on a Mac compared to a regular Windows machine as bootcamp still relies on the Mac firmware to boot up other media and whatever firmware limitations exist on mac hardware.  

Another

Forum Hero
Comments: 6947

Flash,

I cannot tell you how to fix your boot camp install but if you can run the VSS Doctor tool again on an effected PC and once the diagnostic completes click on Save report the tool will generate a log file of all the tools findings.  If you can post that log here I will have a look at it. 

I suspect that one or more restore points are hung or corrupted and are causing this problem.  You would need to use the VSS admin tool from a command prompt to fix the issue if this is a correct diagnosis on my part.

Beginner

Thank you, that would be great. Just waiting for a large backup to coplete them I'll run the tool. From memory, when I ran it yesterday, all ran with green ticks apart from when it polls the event log and picks up the VSS errors I list above.

I'm starting to suspect the removal of TrueImage2014 does something with the registry, but its just a suspicion.

Beginner

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

The flash

If you have your Windows installer disc, you could try to do a startup repair.  Alternatively, if you're able to boot WinPE rescue media (which is basically what a Windows installer disc is), there are portable registry applications that will allow you to modify the registry of a different OS.  You would need to "load hive" and connect to the other registry which would be located on the disk at 

C:\Windows\System32\config\system (Also, from the WinPE, it might not be C:\ if it has a different volume letter in WinPE)

When prompted, give it a name (I usually just call mine "1" to keep it simple) and it will be loaded to hkey_local_machine\1

From there, you could attempt to reverse the registry changes you made.  Keep in mind, you can't just import the registry this way if you exported it because you now have the additional folder name since you're loading a registry of a different machine into one that's already booted. 

Unfortunately, this all gets more complicated on a Mac compared to a regular Windows machine as bootcamp still relies on the Mac firmware to boot up other media and whatever firmware limitations exist on mac hardware.  

Another

Damn. WIsh I'd read this before I reset the PC. I did restore the registry key I'd altered, but now I realise it was using the WinPE active registry. What a wally I am.

Forum Hero

The Flash,

Rats - I had a feeling and that's why I wanted to get the info into the thread as soon as I saw it.  Yeah, when you boot WinPE, you are in a temporary Windows OS environment that is loaded entirely into RAM as a virtual disk (X:\).  Any changes to the native registry in WinPE (or anything related to the OS on X:\) is all just temporary for that session and doesn't impact the dormant OS on the main internal hard drive.  To get to the other OS registry, you have to load it as a new hive... and there are different ones for software, system, default user, etc. so in some cases you have to load one, make changes, unload and then load another and make changes there.  In the link you mentioned above - it seemed to all be related to the system keys though.  

Well, at least you learned something new, so not all bad, but sorry you had to start over as a result.

Beginner

A bit late for me now, but I can confirm the issue, and the fix. The issue is definately to do with the upgrade of Acronis 2014/2018 to 2019, probably also when Kaspersky is also installed. I would be careful also regaridng the use of the Acronis Removal Tool, though I can't be sure it was this.

A registry key detailing VSS providers is altered, and specifically the value "volsnap" is removed. I believe this is mainly a bug in Acronis, probably during an upgrade process. This causes System Restore to fail as the default provider (volsnap) is removed.

This is detailed by another user here:

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/upgrade-ti-2019-breaks-win-10-1809-system-restore

The fix to to make a new reg key text file, then double click it to merge with registry, as detailed in that users thread.

Forum Hero
Comments: 6947

Glad you found a fix for your issue.