Skip to main content

Why is Acronis so bad?

Beginner
Comments: 0

Just as the title suggests, why is Acronis True Image and Acronis Cloud so bad?

I got a license for it back in November, but I never used it after trying it out for one day because it was so bad. Now, in May, cause I've got nothing else to do because of quarantine, I decided to give it another shot. Well, not surprisingly, it hasn't gotten ANY better. 

• It takes forever to upload files through the sync feature. It took me 3 hours to upload 1GB when it should have taken around 3 minutes. (My upload speed is 50Mbps, and yes, 50 megabits per second.)
  • Whenever I make changes to folders that are added to Sync, it takes at least 10 minutes for changes to appear on the dashboard (when I click on "Browse My Data" in the Account tab in the desktop application Acronis True Image.)
  • When I download files from the online dashboard, ones that have been uploaded through Sync, it takes absolutely forever to initialize the download, only for it to give me a "restore.json" file saying there was a server error. I am unable to download the file if this happens.
  • When downloads DO initialize and file actually is able to start downloading, the download speed is absolutely horrendous. It takes 10 minutes to download a 500MB file. My download speed is 300Mbps which is around 38Megabytes per second. With that said, 500MB should only take 13 seconds to download.
  • Files bigger than 1GB (from my testing) seem to not download AT ALL. 
  • Files that have been deleted from folders that are in Sync do not get deleted on the online dashboard and therefore create a lot of clutter. 

These features are literally the core and fundamental features to your software, yet they do not work as intended. Hell, they don't even work at all.

Acronis True Image also needs to physically be open in order to be functional at all. No minimize to tray feature. Like, what is this? The whole point of syncing files is that your files are always up-to-date whenever there are changes made without you having to worry about manually backing it up. If you have to manually open the god damn program and have the active window open at ALL TIMES in order for it to sync, what's the point of having a Sync feature? How is it any different from just manual backups?

These are surely not limitations of my computer as well. My machine has been custom built with the following specifications. Files are being downloaded and uploaded with Google Chrome with all extensions disabled to prevent any complications.

• i5 - 8600k @ 5GHz
  • The files are being uploaded from a Samsung Evo 860, 970 Evo Pro, Western Digital Black 7200RPM HDD.
  • 32GB of RAM @ 3200MHz

I can't even get my money back for this. What an absolute waste of money and time. I have never, EVER, used software as dogshit as this. The original Internet Explorer is probably better than this.

Acronis, please fix the software your company is known for.

3 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28221

Jonathan, welcome to these public User Forums.

You have posted to the ATI 2019 forum but if you have a current subscription to the Acronis Cloud then you should be using ATI 2020 which should be a free upgrade to you, and which is where any known issues with ATI would receive any fixes.  ATI 2019 came to end of support late last year and will not get any further updates / fixes.

I do not use the Sync feature to the Acronis Cloud but your quoted performance figures do sound to be poor for your stated upload / download speeds.

I can only recommend that you open a Support Case direct with Acronis about this as this is not an issue that any of the users or MVP's (also just users) can fix via these forums.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Let's go one further...  I'm not trying to sync anything!  If you install tru-image 2016+ it installs so much bloatware that your drives are continuously being hammered.  You can turn them off in setting - doesn't stop anything - purely ornamental.  It may or may not actually do backups.  I say this because, whereas it creates files, unless you have done NOTHING at all to your environment, TruImage can't find the files.  If you click on one and try to open with TruImage, it says - "Don't know what this is".  OK, let's browse the backup file...CLick..................................................................................................................................................I left it overnight before it would let go of the cursor.  Paste....................................................................................................................................................2 hours later it was processing and had gone almost half way!  Great I can get what I need.  2.5 hours later it was still half way.  Not using any CPU, Disk, or network, but 'processing'.

Now I've been a software developer of applications and multiple OS's; the only way I know to make something this slow is to have wait statements to purposely slow it down.

Acronis USED to be the best of the best.  It's crap today, and has been for years.  I am now going to uninstall Acronis TruImage 2021and abandon my Acronis backups - can't use them anyway.  Acronis Disk Director has system issues, but for the few times I need it, I will put up with rebooting multiple times so Windows can clean up after Acronis.

Legend

Ron, if you are serious about uninstalling your Acronis software then you can use the Acronis Cleanup tool (link below) to remove all traces after doing a normal uninstall.  The tool will remove ALL Acronis programs that are installed.

You may also be interested in the Off Topic forum topic: Reflecting on a Post-ATI World

Beginner
Comments: 2

Unfortunately I am rapidly coming to a similar conclusion.  Acronis is extremely slow.  And I do mean EXTREMELY slow and I am having trouble with simple restoration of a failed drive.  The Recovery submenu is nowhere to be found.  So I cannot choose to restore an entire drive.  Recovery defaults to recovering files which is the only option showing up.

I have been using Acronis for over 15 years and have never had so much trouble with it.  I have submitted a ticket querying how to get the Recovery submenu to appear.  Acronis is a fresh install so that should not be causing the issue.  If anyone here has had a similar issue and has figured out how to get the submenu to appear, please let me know.

Legend

Stephen, I would suggest raising a new topic for your recovery issue rather than tacking it on the end of this topic.  Please create the new topic in the forum for the version of Acronis that you are using (this one if it is ATI 2019 else the corresponding forum for your version or the ACPHO forum if you have ATI 2021 or ACPHO).

Please provide more details of what exactly you are doing, how doing it, what drives etc in your new topic, and we will be pleased to try to help you resolve this issue.

Beginner

It's not you OP. this is the worst imaging SW available in my opinion. Acronis can't even authenticate a valid license  "Unable to connect at this time, please try again later"... but all the purchasing links work and so do the help links. 

Please check you internet and wide open firewall settings.  Give me a break. 

Beginner

I have been with Acronis for several years, and upgraded my subscription 6 months ago.

The good - when one PC crashed - the backups saved all my data.

The bad - technical support is slow.  I have had a problem with sync.   On the first occasion, after 10 days, I received intermittent support (vacation for the technical support).  Then a formal link up solved it.

However, the problem recurred.   13 days to get a response from technical.  Not sorted.  The instructions are too jargon-laden for me to follow, and I am reasonably computer-literate.

So (1) slow (2) not solved.

Richard 

Beginner

You pretty much need to only use email support. I don't think phone support is an option anymore, although I could be wrong. 

Beginner
Comments: 4

The one thing I've absolutely never understood is why people even bother with the newer versions of True Image when the older (bloat free, non system hogging) versions still work on newer hardware and run on Windows 11.

I personally use True Image 2014 (installed) on Windows 11 (uefi, gpt, secure boot, tpm 2.0) without any issues and made a custom x64 WinPE boot media that runs True Image 2014 for restoring images.

Forum Member
Comments: 35

Sore point!

The history of application software is that bloat is almost inevitable. In my experience, eventually every worthwhile app reaches a point where it does exactly what it's supposed to do and has no major bugs. That's when the owner has an attack of Relevance Deprivation Syndrome and begins to generate releases for the sake of it in order for their product to be seen as 'evolving' and 'up to date', and those releases inevitably contain 'features' that nobody asked for and that nobody needs -- in other words, BLOAT. (Microsoft leads the world in that.)

I avoid upgrading for that reason. If it already does what I want, then I'm sticking with what I know works.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Same issues here. I have been using ATI since 2010, before that, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0... and this 2019 version is SLOOOOWWWW. I thought I'd upgrade to the current Cyber product, but that's SLOOOOWWWW too.  After about 36 hours, it only managed to get through 6GB from my laptop system drive through a dock to a RAID array DAS. It takes forever to even start the application. It hangs constantly (greyed out, Windows "Not Responding" message). 

What happened? Why does the backup software basically choke the system, choke when opening, choke when searching for media, choke when trying to do its job?

What OTHER products do folks recommend, because unless Acronis can provide some meaningful solutions - or even suggestions - it's time to walk away before my current lack of usable backups causes me significant loss!

Legend

Chris, take a (long) read through forum topic: Reflecting on a Post-ATI World where other users have discussed future options for their backup & recovery requirements.