Skip to main content

Windows 10 System Restore

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 19

Does Acronis TI 2019 stop Windows 10 System Restore?  I installed TI.  I went and checked if system restore was running and all it said is searching.  I uninstalled TI and system restore was working as normal and restore points were all there.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2914

My understanding is that ATI does not interfere with the Windows System restore. I further understand that by default it is not active. However, the default ATI backup settings exclude the folder in which Windows Restore points are located (System Volume Information). Others may be able to give more information on this aspect.

Ian

Legend
Comments: 17679

Mike, earlier versions of ATI did have an option to replace Windows Backup so that ATI was used instead, but no versions of ATI have ever disabled Windows System Protection (aka System Restore).  Microsoft have been disabling System Protection by default with Windows 10 for some long time now as Ian has mentioned, and ATI does exclude the System Volume Information hidden system folders by default unless you change this.

Forum Member

I had wondows restore active before TI.  I installed TI today and went and checked and all I got was "searching" instead of list of drives.  I ininstalled TI and windows restore listed the drives.  So I think TI has something to do with it.

Legend

Mike, where are you checking here?  My 'This PC' > Properties > System Protection page shows as below with ATI 2019 installed and using the default settings.

2018-11-21 System Protection.png

Forum Member

yes.  under teh available drives, it just said "searching" with TI installed.  I uninstalled TI and drives listed.

I have it turned on, on just my C Drive.

Legend

Mike, if you reinstall ATI 2019 and get the same issue again, then I would recommend opening a Support Case direct with Acronis to have them investigate why you are seeing this behaviour?  I have not encountered this myself nor heard / read reports from other users about this in the forums.

Forum Member
Comments: 38

Gents, Can I chip into this discussion please. Sorry for a long post - but hopefully it worth it for you.

My machine is Win 10 1809.. and you guys right - it seems MS turns off system restore as part of that update. But you can just turn it on … which I did when I upgraded to 1809 early Oct (before MS pulled it) 

I upgraded to TI 2019 last night from TI 2018, it seemed go through fine. but coincidentally I checked system restore.. and it threw up an error (0x81000203 IIRC). I had same error before, I believe close to a TI update in past - but as in this case.. I did not check it working just before the update - so cant say for sure if issue related (but I VERY suspicious)..   

Anyway - Because WIn 10 is a POS.. trying to fix it trashed my WIn 10 install (doing no more than a SFC and DCIM fix  process, failed boot, could not go safe mode, would not boot fix, would not even do a recovery install, keeping my data.. or giving it the OK to wipe the C drive and start again.. ALL FAILED :(  ). But no problem - I have backups - so I can restore.

After a previous VERY bad experience
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2018-forum/acronis-ti-2018-let-me-down-big-time

I was nervous - but VERY happy to report - the recovery worked brilliantly (and from my NAS... no need to copy backup to local hard drive)

The Backup (Drive Image) was from last Sunday - and once restored.. I ofc checked, and "system restore" is working perfectly.

So I am VERY suspicious that the upgrade to TI 2019 caused the problem..  and this thread just makes me more convinced.

So before I do the upgrade again (the restore reverted me back to TI 2018) can you confirm you think it OK. And anything I should do to convince you guys it related.. should system restore break again when I do it?

Cheers  

Forum Member

I reinstalled TI, but this time the 610 update that was released a few days ago.  System restore works after the update.

Forum Member
Comments: 38

Mike wrote:

I reinstalled TI, but this time the 610 update that was released a few days ago.  System restore works after the update

Ta.. Just to confirm - my attempt was with latest  14610 version... I was hoping I had left it long enough after TI 2019 launch that I could be sure it stable.

So too early to say I have a "smoking gun" for my issue.. but it def "smouldering"  ;) 

Beginner
Comments: 4

I basically spent half my day today trying to fix this issue and I found out it is because of a simple registry entry that is getting removed.  See this blog, this is related to Kaspersky but it applies here as I have found it missing on both my machines that have Acronis installed but not on my laptop that just has Kaspersky.   Basically the "volsnap" entry is missing in the UpperFilters registry setting for your drive volumes so then Windows System Restore doesn't work because it doesn't know that it should be using volsnap to capture the restore points.  Once you add volsnap to the list along with any other providers like Acronis and Kasperky, reboot and problem fixed!!!!

Credit goes to the below blog post.

https://rjcuk.blogspot.com/2016/09/kaspersky-removal-tool-bug.html

Legend

Scott, thank you for sharing this solution and the link to the page describing it.