Skip to main content

Zero Understanding of Backup Process

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 15

Have been an Acronis user since TI Home 2010 w/o difficulty. But TI 2019 giving me back up fits. Task is to backup 77 GB laptop hard drive. Backup process begins OK (I think) -shows backing up 31 GB on status bar -no time left appears? An hour later it shows backing up 373 GB - 1D 4 hr remaining. No idea what's going on?? Thanks in advance

1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21999

If your backup is much larger than the used size of data on the drive, i.e. backup 373GB for an expected 77GB data size, then I would suggest that you probably have a disk or file system issue at work here, rather than a problem with how ATI 2019 backs up.

Please do a CHKDSK /F for the main OS partition to start and see if that throws any errors.

Please download the MVP Log Viewer tool (link in my signature below) and use this to review the log file for your backup operation. This should provide more information on what is happening and show if any errors are being reported.  Check the log to see if ATI is switching to using Sector-by-Sector mode of operation, as this also indicates that bad sectors are being encountered.

Dedicated diagnostic utilities from the disk manufacturers take the longest time to complete the checks, but provide the most accurate methods of checking whether the disk is good or needs replacement:

- Western Digital drives: Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

- Seagate disks: SeaTools for Windows

- HGST disks: HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (WinDFT)

- Intel SSDs: Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox

- Samsung drives: Samsung Magician

- ADATA drives: ADATA SSD ToolBox

- Kingston SSDs: Kingston SSD Toolbox, Kingston SSD Manager

- Transcend SSDs: Transcend SSD Scope

- Silicon Power disks: SP ToolBox

- Toshiba disks: Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool Utility

- Crucial disks: Crucial Storage Executive