Skip to main content

Acronis 2020 "NO DATA YET TO RECOVER"

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 7

OS Win 10 Pro 64 bit + Acronis 2020 build 21400 I believe the issues concerning Recovery tab message "No Data Yet to Recover - Creat your first backup version" is due to fact that Recovery tab cannot find activity records in database. I checked Backups do physically exist in storage. What else could it be when the Activity tab does show Succesfull backups logged? Reading back thru discussion forums it is not a new problem, although personally I never had this issue before updating to 2020 version !

1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 19797

Barry, I have never seen this issue where backups do exist and yet ATI says there is no data to recover.

I would suggest taking the 'Delete' option for this backup task in the GUI and only remove the task settings (not the files).

Then use the option to 'Add existing backup' and select the most recent of the backup files for the problem task.  This will add a task back to the GUI using the name of the file chosen.  You will need to reconfigure the task settings, but this should then resolve the core issue here.

Forum Star
Comments: 3124

You could also try selecting the backup file in Windows Explorer, right click and then select validate.

Ian

Forum Hero
Comments: 9250

Try this:

- stop all Acronis services (run services.msc)

- kill all Acronis tasks (use Windows task manager)

- rename the database folder under C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome to "DatabaseOLD"

- restart ATI and run your backup

Important note: this approach will delete your backup activity history but not the backup files

Forum Star
Comments: 1025

Did you do any renames or deletions of backups outside of ATI?  I recall a recent post where someone, unfamiliar with the new .tibx file structure, deleted the backup file containing the metadata and got a "no data to recover" message. 

Beginner
Comments: 1

Any fix for this yet? I am having the same problem.

Legend

David, welcome to these public User Forums.

If you use the option to 'Add Existing Backup' and select the most recent backup file for this task, it will resolve the issue of having no data shown on the Recovery page.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Steve Smith wrote:

David, welcome to these public User Forums.

If you use the option to 'Add Existing Backup' and select the most recent backup file for this task, it will resolve the issue of having no data shown on the Recovery page.

Hia Steve,

Thx for being on these forums and trying to help! Really!! I often do not take the time to try and help other users (most ashamed of that!).

But for most of us these things just need to work out of the box and "stopgap measures" for these kind of rudimentary uses, have no place in forums. So I've made a ticket to Acronis about this. And for all who read this, please do this also! Let them know this program doesn't work (most irritating)! This is not an open source program, not free and it just needs to work out of the box.

I will keep you all updated as to the reaction of Acronis.

p.s. and even as I read back this comment I know I do sound like a bit of an a**... sorry ;-) 

Beginner

Follow up:

"Quote"

Thank you for your email and we are sorry for the delay in response.

I checked with our resources and with the shared information and I found this to be an known issue the product and need to be escalated to T2 for further investigation.

I have step by step screenshot and system report but I also need Process Monitor log: https://kb.acronis.com/content/2295

"Unquote"

So Steve... thx for your reply, I can now see the value in it... support knows about it... whatever T2 means, and how long they have known about it.

Your workaround works and indeed all subsequent backup are shown in recovery. Also at least file restore works from this last "added subsequent" backup.

Thx again Steve!

Beginner

I'm having the same problem which only came to light when I needed to recover a back up which defeats the whole purpose of backing up. Isn't it time Acronis got their finger out and solved this issue?

Forum Member
Comments: 49

Eric Gloudemans wrote:

So Steve... thx for your reply, I can now see the value in it... support knows about it... whatever T2 means, and how long they have known about it.

T2 = Trench #2 = second line of defense ...

Beginner

IanL-S wrote:

You could also try selecting the backup file in Windows Explorer, right click and then select validate.

Ian

This work-around worked for me.  Thanks for sharing.  My version is ATI 2020, Build 22510 running Windows 10 Pro.

Bruce 

Forum Star

Good to hear that the fix still works.

Ian

Beginner

I had the same problem of "No data yet to recover" with Acronis 2020 build 22510 and Method 2. Rebuild all settings of https://kb.acronis.com/content/60915 fixed my problem.

Legend

Malick, welcome to these public User Forums.

See my earlier post in this topic thread for another option that works fine too.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I ran across this issue today as well, I didn't need to do a full restore - just wanted to retrieve an older revision of one file - but had a bit of a panic when I got the message saying "No Data Yet to Recover - Create your first backup version".

Both solutions seem to work (add existing backup, which is immediate - and validating the file, which takes a bit of time).

I do an incremental backup nightly and a full backup every ten days. I have it set to automatically delete old backups after 30 days.

So my question is ... will I need to re-validate or add the new files the next time it creates a full backup? It seems that both solutions are for the 'current file' only and doesn't really fix the issue for new backup files that get created. (hopefully the support ticket will get addressed soon!)

Thank you,

David

Legend

David, I have only seen this issue just once on the various machines I have running ATI 2020, so there shouldn't be any reason to believe it will keep coming back while we wait on Acronis delivering a new build with a more permanent fix for this and other known issues.

Forum Star

My experience is the same as Steve's; it is a one off problem.

Ian

Forum Hero
Comments: 8281

I'd encourage everyone who's experienced this to submit feedback to Acronis and reference this thread too.  I have not seen this (not really using 2020 much yet still), but if it is happening in 2020, it sounds like a bug that needs to be investigated.  Luckily, the repair or validation seem to iron it out, but the new .tibx format is supposed to improve reliability and prevent database corruption we've seen in the past in some instances.  If it's still happening, for whatever reason, then Acronis needs to be made aware and try to address it.

Forum Star

It is bit of a worry that this problem has been around for quite a while; in the release version of ATI 2020 and possibly in one of more beta builds.

Ian

Forum Star
Comments: 1025

IanL-S wrote:

It is bit of a worry that this problem has been around for quite a while; in the release version of ATI 2020 and possibly in one of more beta builds.

Ian

I know I saw it once in, or shortly after, the Beta test.  I assumed I had set up a backup task incorrectly (which could have been the case) and have not seen it again.  And since I thought it was something I had done wrong I didn't document it and tell Acronis.

Rarely occurring problems are difficult to diagnose.  We need to provide Acronis with as much diagnostic info as possible for this kind of problem.  But we don't want to flood them with reports that are really just "Dumb User Error".    It's a tough call.