Skip to main content

ATI 2020 full backups successful with validation but recovery from winre usb boot disk fail

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

250mb gpt partition (EFI)

819gb gpt partition (c:\)

1tb gpt partition (d:\data)

Bios is set to uefi

Ms windows 10 pro x64 1903 up-to-date as of 09-24-19

ATI2020 build 20770

• Perform full backup of current system (819gb gpt partition (c:\)) to the 1tb gpt partition (d:\data) and validation successful
  • copy the .tibx file to external hdd

• New identical system – create same exact gpt partitions via ATI2020 usb winre boot disk
  • perform recovery via usb winre boot disk of the .tibx from external hdd successful
  1. selecting all items to recover:
    DISK1
    NTFS (unlabeled) (c:\)
    Track 0
    EFI System Partition

• boot new system into restored os successful
  • adjust “system protection” for restore points to accommodate the new system drive
    (control panel\all control panel items\system\system protection)
  • delete old user profile(s) and leave the built-in administrator user profile
  • change computer name and restart system

• Perform full backup of new system with new filename (819gb gpt partition (c:\)) to the 1tb gpt partition (d:\data) and validation successful

• Attempt recovery of new .tibx file via ATI2020 usb winre boot disk from the 1tb gpt partition and/or from a copy of the .tibx file on external hdd.  The recovery fails at the end of the restore process with logs showing:
  1. Operation “recover” started
  2. Error occurred  while recovering
  3. The end of the file has been reached
  4. Recover operation failed

I have run checkdisk and no problems on either partitions ever on any drives.  I have attempted this same process now with 3-4x other systems with the same results as above.

I have started switching systems over to uefi bios and gpt recently over the past few months.  Recovery using the method above has been working fine using ATI2016 without issues up until approximately 2 weeks ago.  Full backup images always complete and validate.  I noticed that recovery failure issues started to occur last week while trying to restore using same method with ATI2016 winpe based usb boot disk referencing something about “memory at ….  Could not be reached.”

I thought I would try ATI2020 thinking maybe there was a compatibility issue with ATI2016 and systems with ms updates over the past few weeks; since things were working as normal up until a couple of weeks ago.  Now this occurs, and I cannot safely purchase ATI2020 knowing these issues are affecting restorations like I have been performing since the beginning of time…

does anyone have any insight?

Thank you in advance; help is much appreciated.

justin

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 19419

Justin, welcome to these public User Forums.

Please update ATI 2020 to the latest #21400 build and rebuild your WinRE rescue media so that you have this latest application there too.

In order to understand the problem you are seeing with recovery, the log data for those actions is needed but this is lost as soon as you restart the system, so needs to be collected while still in the rescue media application.

To save the Log, click on the Log option shown on the left below Backup then Recovery.

Once the log is shown, right-click on the initial boldened line showing the date / time, and then select the option to Save the log data.  You will need to select a location which will be available after restarting the computer, i.e. on the USB memory stick, or on the disk drive.

Forum Star
Comments: 895

Justiin, I am inferring that you create the backups using ATI under Windows and then restore using the WinRE media.

Have you tried the process by creating the backup with the recovery media and then recovering with same?

What is the System Protection change you make?

Since the failures started under ATI 2016 and continue with ATI 2020, it does sound more like a change in Windows which may be at the root of this issue. After changing the new system (account, SP, computer name), do you just reboot once? Sometimes it seems that it can take a couple reboots for Windows to get right.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7592

I would recommend that you switch from a WinRE build to that of a WinPE build of the rescue media.  Updates to Windows can completely trash WinRE at times and you may have a corrupt WinRE XML or missing file in WinRE causing the issue.

I am providing link to a great resource for repairing WinRE that you may find helpful below:

Troubleshoot WinRE

Forum Hero
Comments: 8266

Personally, I think something is bugged in ATI 2020 with rescue media under certain scenarios. In the first public release, I could not get rescue media (winPE or WinRE) to restore a backup of my main system. It would get to the end and fail, every single time, but only on this one computer. I took the backup with the rescue media and tried to restore with the rescue media to a different test disk (as I'm not willing to make the jump to 2020 on this system until this works correctly). Rats, I had screenshots of the log file that showed the error too, but can't find them now - I submitted them as feedback awhile back.  

I'm about to go through a backup and restore with this new version in a few minutes.  I'll post back in a bit.

Forum Hero

No joy with the new update for 2020 using rescue media - same behavior as before!  My 2019 rescue media is working just fine!

Attachment Size
514712-172942.txt 1.43 KB
514712-172945.jpg 65.53 KB
514712-172946.jpg 84.31 KB
Forum Hero

Well, I just performed several backups with the 2020 boot media (WinPE) on 3 different computers and ran a restore of a previous .tib backup to one of my machines that suffered a failed Win 10 1903 upgrade using the 2020 media and all were successful.  No errors, no problems at all.  I always look at the logs for restores and I found just 2 entries as expected.  Restore started and restore completed.

Now I cannot say why a user might have different experiences then I do but, I have found when things are not working with restore and/or backup I find it is usually corruption that causes failure.  This can be either at the filesystem level or the disk level.  I have gotten into the habit of running chkdsk, chkntfs, and sfc /scannow on all disks prior to full backups and restores.  That practice has saved me a lot of time and headaches.

Looking at you screenshots of the backup log and the .txt output I see where there is a failure in data consistency.  In other words the data on disk does not match the data in the created backup file.  This might be the result of metadata differences between the two.  If that is the case it may be that the MFT is corrupted on disk.  You should be able to fix that using the tools discussed above.

Forum Hero

Enchantech - no errors on disk with diskpart, sfc or 3rd party tools. I'm running ATI 2019 on this system for 2 years now and it continues to chug along and backup and validate in Windows just fine. 

I also did several offline rescue media backups and recoveries with 2019 when I first started seeing these backup errors with the ATI 2020 rescue media because I thought there could be disc issues too.  

I'm 99.9% sure this is an issue with 2020, otherwise there would be some type of errors reported elsewhere and it doesn't make sense why 2019 can backup and restore this disk just fine.  No idea what/why is the problem with this system and 2020 rescue media though, but the backup files are actually created, but corrupted.  I tried to import them on my laptop with 2020 installed and does not like them.  

At a minimum, if there was disc corruption, ATI should try to use sector-by-sector, but it does not - it is creating a .tibx file that is about the size I get when backing up with 2019 into .tib format. 

Forum Hero

Rob,

The other possible here is that possibly there is not sufficient space for the snapshot to be created on disk thus the operation fails.  The line in your log txt file stating :

"<event code="50250" id="4" level="4" line_tag="0x3FEC04E376B8A2B6" message="Failed to obtain the snapshot state." module="16""  eludes to this being the case.  You need roughly 15% of free disk space for VSS to function properly.  I suggest running the VSS Doctor tool and see if it can fix the free space on the source drive.

Beginner

BrunoC wrote:

Justiin, I am inferring that you create the backups using ATI under Windows and then restore using the WinRE media.

Have you tried the process by creating the backup with the recovery media and then recovering with same?

What is the System Protection change you make?

Since the failures started under ATI 2016 and continue with ATI 2020, it does sound more like a change in Windows which may be at the root of this issue. After changing the new system (account, SP, computer name), do you just reboot once? Sometimes it seems that it can take a couple reboots for Windows to get right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. yes, I do usually create the backups using ATI under Windows and then restore using the WinRE media.
  2. I have created backup via the recovery WinRE usb boot disk and have attempted restore via the recovery WinRE usb boot disk and this fails as well
  3. the system protection change I make is at the following location (picture attached) since once I have restored a good image archive successfully the "original" drive shows missing and needs to be changed to the new drive active partition.  once this is completed I change the systems machine name, remove from domain, then remove old username/account, and then sign in with the default local Administrator account. 
  4. Once system is restarted and log into the local Administrator account and remove previous listed backup archives from left list since they are not present on the new system
  5. I then “add new backup” to list and create a new full backup job to the second partition which completes and validates successfully
  6. I Attempt recovery via the recovery WinRE usb boot disk from the 1tb gpt partition and/or from a copy of the .tibx file on external hdd.  The recovery fails at the end of the restore process with logs showing:

The log errors (attached) received by either creating the backup image from the WinRE usb boot disk or from within ms windows 10 pro x64 1903 show different uuid numbers (unique system id I am guessing), but it is the same system…

The logs show the same identical errors including the event codes, line tags, id numbers.  The only difference are the time stamps.

Attachment Size
514842-172999.log 890 bytes
514842-173002.log 890 bytes
514842-173003.jpg 272.88 KB
Forum Hero

Try building a new WinPE media using the same build as is the installed Windows version of the source image.  I think Bruno is correct that this is a Windows issue.  MS makes changes between versions that are notorious for making things that worked in the past to no longer work.  These changes flow to the PE/RE versions as well.

Beginner

Enchantech wrote:

Try building a new WinPE media using the same build as is the installed Windows version of the source image.  I think Bruno is correct that this is a Windows issue.  MS makes changes between versions that are notorious for making things that worked in the past to no longer work.  These changes flow to the PE/RE versions as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Downloaded specific Windows ADK for Windows 10 1903 (PE for Windows 10) and Windows PE add-on for the ADK from:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install
  2. Installed both Windows ADK for Windows 10 1903 (PE for Windows 10) and Windows PE add-on for the ADK
  3. Created new ATI2020 WinPE usb boot disk as instructed from here (followed as best as possible since it is not specific to ATI2020):  https://kb.acronis.com/fr/winpe#createmedia
  4. Perform full backup of new system with new filename (819gb gpt partition (c:\)) to the 1tb gpt partition (d:\data) and validation successful
  5. I Attempt recovery via the the new ATI 2020 WinPE usb boot disk from the 1tb gpt partition and/or from a copy of the .tibx file on external hdd.  The recovery fails at the end of the restore process with logs showing:

The log errors (attached) received recovering the new backup image from the WinPE usb boot disk from again shows a different uuid number (unique system id I am guessing), but it is the same system…

The logs show the same identical errors including the event codes, line tags, id numbers.  The only difference are the time stamps.

I have been using acronis true image for over 10+ years and have never had problems like this...

Attachment Size
514894-173012.log 890 bytes
Forum Star
Comments: 3069

I have a dim recollection that the end of file error can indicate that the target device can no longer be written to, and that one reason for this is that there is insufficient space on the target drive. It may not be what is happening here but it is worth checking.

Ian

Forum Hero

Justin,

I did a search for the last error code in your log file "event code="252" id="4" level="4""  I found an old Forum post dating back to 2016 in which a user had a similar issue.  The error message the user was getting was different as it stated "index is corrupted".

So this is long shot but the fix was to mount each partition of the backup in read/write mode and run chkdsk /f on each of them.  Essentially mounting the partitions in TI 2020 is not possible and to make matters worse read/write mode was removed from the recovery media in 2014.

Having said that, in 2016 the recovery media was only Linux based.  Today of course we use WinPE/RE so read/write mode is more likely to be available.  This probably will not be an easy task to complete but I would suspect that if you can achieve it you can fix your issue.

Beginner

Example:  The backup image archive file is only 30gb and I am restoring to the same drive which is 819gb just testing.

Beginner
Comments: 10

I experienced similar problem when restoring .tibx format for my W10 partition using TI2020.  Didn't have this problem with TI2019 and .tib files and haven't tested to try and confirm whether the problem is related to TI2020 or the .tibx format or both.

Kept failing at end of restore with "The end of the file has been reached".  It appears to me the failure occurs during whatever TI2020 is doing after restoring the OS partition in its attempt to make the partition bootable by (I believe) examining the EFI System Partition and making changes (haven't found documentation that explains what it's doing, but this link helped when I was trying to understand what ATI was doing re: restoring partitions (e.g. EFS partition) where ATI wanted to instead of where I specified).

Restoring the ESP at the same time as the OS partition allowed me to restore the .tibx OS partition successfully even though I don't believe the ESP needed to be restored.  e.g. after restoring ESP and OS partition (using WinRE rescue media), immediately restoring the OS partition again by itself fails again with "The end of the file has been reached".

Forum Star
Comments: 3069

"The end of the file has been reached" - I have seen this error message before, with an earlier version of ATI; I cannot remember the solution if any. But I am sure I was able to overcome the proglem. I did a search of the knowledge base and found nothing for either ATI 2020 or Backup 12.5. There is an ancient item which is not relevant (see here).

Ian

Forum Hero

To my understanding TI, when making a recovery, after restoring all OS and User data, must synchronize the OS partition and the ESP/EFI partition to restore bootabililty.  If you do not select restoring the ESP/EFI partition then the end of the backup file is reached prematurely thus the failure.