Skip to main content

ATI 2020 restore question

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 37

I have purchased ATI 2020 but have not installed it yet. I do a full disk image backup every night and retain 7 backups. If ATI 2020 is installed, I assume that after some period of time I will have the following backup files. B_U.tibx B_U-0021.tibx B_U-0022.tibx B_U-0023.tibx B_U-0024.tibx B_U-0025.tibx B_U-0026.tibx B_U-0027.tibx At this point, I copy the B_U.tibx and B_U-0027.tibx files to off site backup. My question is: Can I restore B_U-0027.tibx having access to it and the B_U.tibx file and no others ?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21990

Simple answer is NO! 

If your backup is created having all the listed files present, then the first B_U.tibx metadata file will have information about the other files and will complain if they are all not present.

See forum topic: Full Backups no independent entity - where the core issue here was discussed previously.  There is a zipped powershell script here in that topic which moves full backup files to another location to help keep them completely independent of each other when created by the installed ATI 2020 application.

If you are creating all your full backups using the boot media, then keep each new full backup either in a separate folder, or else use unique names each time so that will be independent.

Forum Star
Comments: 3856

My question is:
Can I restore B_U-0027.tibx having access to it and the B_U.tibx file and no others ?

As is always the case, it depends. To do what you wish you would need to remove the intervening *.tibx from within ATI - this requires removing entire backup chains (full + increments/differentials). There is a possible way of doing this but it is rather messy.

One thing I should point out is that backup tasks created pre ATI 2020 will continue to use the *.tib format, so you could just continue as you have in the past. There is a tradeoff between the claimed greater resilience of *.tibx compared to *.tib against the relative convenience.

Ian 

Forum Member
Comments: 32

Is this an instance in which differential backups have an advantage over incremental backups?

Kind regards,

Michael

Forum Star
Comments: 3856

It occurs to me that there is a simple solution; create a separate backup task for the offsite backup. Then use the cleanup rules in the settings to only have the last backup set.

Ian

Forum Member
Comments: 37

IanL-S wrote:

It occurs to me that there is a simple solution; create a separate backup task for the offsite backup. Then use the cleanup rules in the settings to only have the last backup set.

Ian

That is a solution I can live with. I will
Create a subfolder 'Monthly'
Create a backup job 'Monthly' that retains one file
Manually run the backup once a month
Send the backup .tibx file to off site.