Skip to main content

ATI2020 Image Recovery process switches to Backup - major error

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 4

Running ATI2020 Trial before upgrading and so far am very disappointed in its quantum turtle-like behavior. By this I mean it's interface operates sooooo slow. A deal-breaker all by itself. But that's not even the worst of it. The worst of it is that I initiated an image Recovery and found something extremely dangerous and 100% repeatable on my system. The two pics reveal the issue. The "Recovery disk selection screen" pic shows the selected Disk Image file and the "Recover To" disk selection. Specifically these are "ASUS ROG RAIDR EXPRESS_PCIe_SSD_full_b1_s1_v1" and "NVMe Samsung SSD 970 2B2Q" respectively.

The next pic shows where the ATI software goes erroneously quantum and by this I mean after pressing the "Recover Now" button ATI2020 then switches from RECOVER to BACKUP with no notice, bell, dialog, warning flare. Notice that the top tabs now have "Backup" underlined. Also notice that the directional arrow between the two disks is pointing from the I:\ drive (Samsung EVO) TO the actual ASUS ROG RAIDR disk (not the image file). The opposite of what the program was instructed to do on the previous screen. If gone unnoticed, who knows what would have happened to the state of the system.

Impressed, I am not.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21992

Your screen images show one key point in that you are attempting to do this type of disk recovery from within Windows which in turn then requires a system restart in order to perform the action and therefore the title shown in the screen image is somewhat irrelevant as that application is not going to be used after the restart.

This is one reason that I never do any OS disk recoveries from within Windows as the restart also has to modify the Windows BCD configuration to boot from a temporary Linux kernel OS environment.

I will always create and use the Acronis WinPE based rescue media for such recoveries where I have full control over the process from beginning to end without any need to touch the BCD etc.

See KB 63226: Acronis True Image 2020: how to create bootable media and KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 63295: Acronis True Image 2020: How to restore your computer with WinPE-based or WinRE-based media

When doing the restore of your backup, this needs to be done as a Disk & Partition restore and at the top Disk selection level.

Please see forum topic: [How to] recover an entire disk backup - and in particular the attached PDF document which shows a step-by-step tutorial for doing this type of recovery / restore.

Beginner

Hi Steve,

While your advice is well intended it doesn't address the issue that ATI2020 changed state from Recovery to Backup which was the point of this post.

Now to your advice, I've been trying to do just what you suggest but here's the dilemma. My OS disk image is from ATI2014 and I want to recover it to the Samsung EVO 970 Plus SSD as the new OS disk. But, the EVO 970 is UEFI only and therein lies the rub. The ATI2014 recovery media does not allow driver injection. But wait, ATI2020 does allow driver injection. We're saved! Oh wait, nope. Still stuck because the Samsung driver is (for whatever Samsung reason) unsigned thus it is refused by ATI2020 and I still cannot access the SSD thru ATI2020's WinPE.

I need a means of adding the Samsung driver to a WinPE build that also houses the Recovery pgm. I can build a standalone WinPE thru the Win8.1 ADK with the driver added but don't know how to integrate the Recovery pgm. Every road has been a dead end. I hoped that ATI2020 Trial would finally be a through-street but then it too seems to have issues as I've described in the OP.

Sigh...

Forum Star
Comments: 3856

As I understand it you do not need the Samsung driver which merely supplements the Windows driver. As always I could be wrong but I have a high degree of certainty on this one - barring a seniors moment!

Legend
Comments: 21992

I need a means of adding the Samsung driver to a WinPE build that also houses the Recovery pgm. I can build a standalone WinPE thru the Win8.1 ADK with the driver added but don't know how to integrate the Recovery pgm. Every road has been a dead end. I hoped that ATI2020 Trial would finally be a through-street but then it too seems to have issues as I've described in the OP.

See the link to the MVP Custom PE builder tool in my signature - this will create rescue media based on either the installed Windows Recovery Environment or else using the Windows ADK - if using the latter, then I would recommend using the latest Windows 10 ADK rather than the older Win 8.1 version.  The MVP can automatically inject the Intel RST drivers that are used by most NVMe drives if operating in RAID mode.  I have used this to restore a backup to my own Samsung NVMe M.2 Evo 970 OPlus SSD after upgrading to it from a smaller LiteOn SSD.

Beginner

TY Steve,

I was able to build the necessary WinPE recovery media by employing the MVP tool you'd suggested and Recovered the OS Image onto the EVO SSD. Am now up and booting on the EVO SSD.

Kudos for pointing me to and co-developing that tool.

Namaste