Skip to main content

backup with bad block ATI 2021

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 32

I have a 2TB M.2 drive (230GB used) which has a bad block, I get read errors when trying to copy a 2GB movie file & am hoping that's the only file I'll lose lol.
Can ATI 2021 create an image for the rest of the drive ok? I should just select ignore bad sectors and hope no system files are affected? I have latest builds of Windows 10 pro & ATI. Asus Dark Hero mobo.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 27768

Yes, you can try creating a Disk backup of the 2TB M.2 SSD but I would suggest not setting it to ignore all bad sectors initially until you get an idea of how many such bad sectors there might be?

If you attempt a normal disk backup with default settings, then it will show a message for any bad sectors encountered with an option to ignore.  Hopefully there might only be a small number of these to ignore and these may just be in the area occupied by your 2GB movie file.

Forum Member

I think there's only one bad sector / block?

Forum Member

arconz wrote:

EDIT: I've purchased Cyber Home Office. I will Backup to an external USB drive and get the M.2 replaced, then restore via rescue media.
Forum Member

Steve Smith wrote:

If you attempt a normal disk backup with default settings, then it will show a message for any bad sectors encountered with an option to ignore.  Hopefully there might only be a small number of these to ignore and these may just be in the area occupied by your 2GB movie file.

It doesn't give an option to ignore - it just says "File system error found. Consider using chkdsk."
So I set to "ignore bad sectors" in options, the backup completed and validated... but TBH I'm not confident it will restore lol.

Legend
Comments: 27768

Forum Member

Thanks, I've made the USB rescue media and System Information says my Bios Mode is UEFI.