Skip to main content

The backup cannot be started. Plug in the external drive..... etc

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 6

I recently upgraded to TI2020 and has worked fine for a few weeks. Today I got the above message saying the backup drive cannot be started. The drive is plugged in and I have just copied files to and from it, but Acronis doesn't see it. I've tried re-booting and unplugging the external drive. There is 2.5TB free on the disk. Any ideas please folks? Thanks Pete

Attachment Size
bu1.JPG 84.17 KB
bu2.JPG 78.99 KB
1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26395

Peter, I would recommend reselecting both the Source and Destination locations for your backup task to see if that resolves the error here?

Beginner

Hi Steve and once again thanks for your help - that seems to have sorted it.

Much appreciated

Cheers 

Pete

Legend

Pete, glad to be able to help, thanks for the feedback.

Beginner

Not sure why your reply got marked Didn't Help coz it did! - I'm sure I clicked on Solved (or whatever it was) and I don't seem able to edit the button either...

Legend

Pete, the topic status can be seen on the initial post where it shows as solved.  The 'Didn't help' option is for other users to record that the same solution didn't do it for them!

Forum Member
Comments: 33

I have this same same issue with ACPHO (Formerly ATI)

I tried re-selecting the drives again and it didn't work.. Still a red X

Things is, I can verify previous backups so it can access the drives concerned just fine. It's just the backups that don't work.

Legend

John, try making a note of the Repos task settings then using the Delete option to remove the task from the GUI (without attempting to delete the backup files).

Then use the 'Add existing backup' option to select the most recent existing backup file from the drive to be added back.  This will give you a 'Reconfigure' button instead of 'Back up now' - so you need to click this and set the configuration again.

Add existing backup is found hidden behind the caret 'v' to the right of the normal + Add backup button.

Forum Member

Steve Smith wrote:

John, try making a note of the Repos task settings then using the Delete option to remove the task from the GUI (without attempting to delete the backup files).

Then use the 'Add existing backup' option to select the most recent existing backup file from the drive to be added back.  This will give you a 'Reconfigure' button instead of 'Back up now' - so you need to click this and set the configuration again.

Add existing backup is found hidden behind the caret 'v' to the right of the normal + Add backup button.

This fixed one of the two that had broken, the folder backup. It didn't fix the system boot drive drive/partition backup though.
Even though both still validate just fine, so paths and data are correct.

CHKDSK on the backup drive is fine too.

I've had to make a completely new backup scheme to fix this.

Legend

John, have any of the actual physical disk drives (source or destination) been changed since the boot drive task stopped working?  Acronis doesn't rely on just the drive letters used by the drives but uses the unique partition identifiers from the drive when selected for the task.

Forum Member

Steve Smith wrote:

John, have any of the actual physical disk drives (source or destination) been changed since the boot drive task stopped working?  Acronis doesn't rely on just the drive letters used by the drives but uses the unique partition identifiers from the drive when selected for the task.+

Nope, I've done nothing that knowingly should change that.

Thing is, it's able to verify the existing backups, so it's able to find the destination drive concerned. 

Legend

Sorry John but guess this one is going to remain a bit of a mystery here!