Skip to main content

Bootable media 2018 compatible with 2020 backup

Thread solved
Lse
Regular Poster
Comments: 174

I backup my C:/ drive in win 7 pro with trial acronis ti 2020

After tried upgrade to win 10 and failure... if try restore backup to c:/ can try from bootable media created with Acronis ti 2018...?

Also bootable media created with acronis ti 2018 are the same as these created with 2020...? If Not the same, are they compatible between?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Moderator
Comments: 5039

Hello Lse,

Acronis does not guarantee forward compatibility. Backups created with a newer build/version of the product may not be supported by older builds/versions. Moreover, archives in .tibx format are only supported starting from Acronis True Image 2020. Earlier versions of Acronis True Image will not recognize this format. Please refer to https://kb.acronis.com/content/1689 

Lse
Regular Poster

can build media bootable recovery tools

from trial acronis ti 2020?

Lse
Regular Poster

Restoring win 7 backup,...  in a failure win 10 upgrade - HDD drive --- restores all files or only changed???

Forum Star
Comments: 3120

You can create recovery media with trial version.

when you do a recovery it effectively removes what is there and then restores the whole backup.

However, I have restored entire Tablet from the Acronis Cloud and the speed suggested in that case only sectors that were different were downloaded. With local restore there would be no rel advantage in doing it that way.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 1

Is ok use as screenshot attached

Linux based media 

Acronis TI 2020

????

To recover a win 7 pro system

with failure upgrade to win 10 pro

Backup done with acronis TI 2020 trial in win 7 pro...

Attachment Size
530178-179593.jpg 107.32 KB
Legend
Comments: 19773

Leonidas, welcome to these public User Forums.

If your backup was created using ATI 2020, then there should be no issue in using the ATI 2020 rescue media to recover that backup.

I tested the ATI 2020 Linux media on my laptop yesterday and it worked fine with my NVMe M.2 SSD, plus a few days earlier used the same media to backup an ancient IBM Thinkpad T42 system running Windows 7, so looks to be flexible enough to handle a range of recent hardware.

Beginner
Comments: 7

My C:/ was SSD 240GB - forgot it - I tried recovery to an HDD 2TB but failed [with Acronis TI 2020 bootable] - the ssd is Not touched at all ... 

backup done with acronis trial TI 2020 on win 7... to SSD.

see attachments ... what can do?

is any relate with GPD or MBR .. ?

the problem with ssd is tried upgrade to win 10 pro failed on setup...  is here  https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/150782-repair-even-not-yet-set-up-yet-first-time-dvd.html#post1844160

Attachment Size
530334-179689.jpg 110.96 KB
530334-179692.jpg 104.87 KB
530334-179695.jpg 77.19 KB
530334-179698.jpg 128.4 KB
Legend

Leonidas, the Acronis rescue media has to be booted using the same BIOS boot mode used by the Windows OS, so if your OS uses Legacy / MBR boot, that is how the rescue media must be booted.  If the OS uses UEFI / GPT then must be matched to the same.

One of your screen images is showing 'Format / resize' errors for the recovery which is strange if you are restoring a backup from a 250GB drive to a 2TB one, as there should be plenty of space available to resize partitions!

I would recommend checking both drives using CHKDSK /F to ensure no file system issues are present, and further ensure that you are selecting the correct drives as Source and Target and not getting them the wrong way round?

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

Lse
Regular Poster

Thank you for advising,

Andreas Georgiou  is my friend --- according to attachment and video youtube  from the forum  https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/150782-repair-even-not-yet-set-up-yet-first-time-dvd.html#post1844160

is this BIOS, isn't it??? BIOS [Not UEFI] means automatically MBR [go together]? I think booted OK can you say see attachment...and tell?

about the errors... may a disk error cause this? so the 2TB check for errors?

can I, check for errors the SSD - why fails repair & upgrade to Windows 10 Pro - from media creators tool 1909 - see second attachment from CMD line of Win 7 restore screen...?

Attachment Size
530349-179701.jpg 48.37 KB
530349-179704.jpg 37.12 KB
Legend

The BIOS settings image looks to show a Legacy / MBR boot system.

The first question here is to ask if this Windows 7 system is capable of running Windows 10?

Is it a 32-bit or 64-bit system?  How much memory does it have?

Windows 10 32-bit will run with 2GB memory, Windows 10 64-bit needs 4GB to run!

You should be able to run CHKDSK /F for the SSD to check that there are no obvious issues, otherwise, you need to download the diagnostic tools provided by the SSD maker to do the checks.

One option that may help here would be to remove the Windows 7 SSD, replace it by the new 2TB HDD drive, then try doing a clean install of Windows 10 to the HDD to see if this will go ahead with no errors?  This will help prove that the computer is capable of running Win 10.

If it is good to run Win 10, then I would suggest doing a repair install of Windows 7 on the original SSD, then retrying the upgrade from 7 to 10.

I had to do this recently for a laptop that failed around 4 or 5 times when trying to upgrade from Win 7 to 10, failing near to the end of the process every time then rolling back to 7.

I did a repair install of Windows 7 and it then upgraded to 10 successfully on the next attempt.

See webpage:  How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

Lse
Regular Poster

The PC is a Xeon Workstation 

4GB RAM

64-bit

I think must be cabable for Win 10... it also has an nvidia big graphics card 

In the current situation of hdd 2TB ... i mean failed restore... can check disk from admin cmd line connected usb, or i have to format and after chkdsk ??

The SSD is sandisk 240GB 

You saw when SSD boots to Win 7 restore/repair tools because failed upgrade and tried many times self repair 

Exist cmd line as last 2nd screenshot 

So run from there chkdsk/f c:  ? Yes is ok // No do not run

Is ok for SSD repair, fix errors after retry repair Windows & upgrade 

Well?

Lse
Regular Poster

So in other words,

Check SSD for errors chkdsk/f c: from cmd line win 7 repair tools window

Retry repair & upgrade

If no result

Chkdsk/f the 2TB hdd , correct errors retry restore to this

Otherwise new install to HDD 2TB Windows 10 to see if working with this PC

Last option recover to SSD after chkdsk errors the backup, or new install Windows 10 to SSD if SSD free of disk errors...

I am ok in good track with this

...?

Lse
Regular Poster

If run chkdsk/f c: from cmd in repair screen 

System should restarted to check c: for errors ?

Beginner

why this shown F:/ 220GB rather c:/ ... in diskpart ? what to do? chkdsk /f F: or...?

see attachment

see and forum tenforums post url prior

Attachment Size
530380-179713.jpg 140.83 KB
Legend

When you boot into the rescue media environment or from a CD/DVD etc, then the drive letters shown are normally shown using different letters than you see when booted to Windows, so you need to run CHKDSK against the correct drive either by the volume label or size.

One other test action you can try.  Create a full disk backup of the Windows 7 SSD using ATI 2020 and see if that gives any errors making the backup?

Lse
Regular Poster

why this shown F:/ 220GB rather c:/ ... in diskpart? what to do? chkdsk /f F: or...?

I THINK RESERVED PARTITIONS DO NOT HAVE LETTER, I AM CORRECT?

remove letter in reserved partition in diskpart

assign letter of F: as c:/ in diskpart

and try repair / upgrade continued??????

https://www.diskpart.com/diskpart/assign-drive-letter-4125.html

CAN TRY THIS??

Beginner

I tried diskpart

but after restart the same screen - assigned again letter to reserved partition.

i retried diskpart
removed letter

but after Start Repair same thing

i tried chkdsk/f c: but No errors found IN SSD

now what to do? Situation is the same... check errors in hdd and restore acronis backup in hdd 2TB???

Attachment Size
530449-179718.jpg 126.25 KB
530449-179721.jpg 172.7 KB
Legend

Have you tried to make a full Disk backup of the Windows 7 SSD (to an external drive)?  Does this throw any errors?

Lse
Regular Poster

Yes before started Upgrade did full ssd disk 0 (c:/ + reserved partition) backup

On an internal drive 1TB e:/

I tried recovery to an external hdd  2TB rather to 240GB ssd,... but i think hdd haddisk errors and after 1-2min failed recovery 

As i think posted before the errors from recovery... 

So in case ,

my friend

may fix errors in hdd 2TB and retry recovery 

Buy SSD new and retry recover to it, old use it in his laptop

Or risk it and recover on SSD,  in this case you think should succeed if SSD has not errors,  has it? See screenshot chkdsk/f c:/ on SSD above

Legend

Is the SSD still working / booting OK into Windows 7?

Was the backup made of the same SSD with Windows 7?

If the answers to both questions is Yes, then I would suggest removing the SSD and setting it aside to keep it safe, then installing the 2TB HDD in its place and trying the recovery to it.

If you believe that the HDD has any errors, then download any diagnostic tools available from the disk makers support site and run these against the drive first.

Dedicated diagnostic utilities from the disk manufacturers take the longest time to complete the checks, but provide the most accurate methods of checking whether the disk is good or needs replacement:

- Western Digital drives: Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

- Seagate disks: SeaTools for Windows

- HGST disks: HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (WinDFT)

- Intel SSDs: Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox

- Samsung drives: Samsung Magician

- ADATA drives: ADATA SSD ToolBox

- Kingston SSDs: Kingston SSD Toolbox, Kingston SSD Manager

- Transcend SSDs: Transcend SSD Scope

- Silicon Power disks: SP ToolBox

- Toshiba disks: Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool Utility

- Crucial disks: Crucial Storage Executive

Lse
Regular Poster

Is the SSD still working / booting OK into Windows 7?

Not ok, rather boot to recovery mode Windows  7 with options repair, restore, cmd-line etc

Was the backup made of the same SSD with Windows 7?

Yes made to SSD with Windows 7 pro and acronis ti 2020 trial 

The HDD 2TB of my friend i think is Seagate and was as sata disk on a NAS...

Chkdsk/f x: correct errors, or needed run dedicated Seagate tools?

Another solution is to buy a new SSD 240GB and recover to this and keep old SSD for his laptop...

Legend

If the SSD doesn't boot into Windows 7, then try restoring the backup to it again.

Lse
Regular Poster

Isn't better try restore to another hdd or ssd after try that ... if then, needed?

Can validate a backup to a PC from another PC? Or from bootable media same PC... backup located in an internal hdd 1TB next to the SSD...

Forum Hero
Comments: 7669

This 2TB HDD you say came from an NAS.  If that is true then the formatting of that drive is not the same NTFS as a Windows disk.

Did you try to format the 2TB disk prior to attempting the restore to it?

Lse
Regular Poster

So you mean

Restoration process does not take care of this

Format and Partition the HDD....?

Forum Hero

True Image does a quick format of a disk prior to restoring an image.  Unfortunately this may leave some previous partitioning and format information on the disk which may cause the application to error.

I suggest that you run diskpart clean command on the 2TB target disk to completely clear format and partitioning information.  This will leave the disk as unallocated.  At this point True Image will need to have the disk formatted.  In the Tools section of the recovery media you will find an Add New Disk tool that can do that.  You should notice that the 2TB disk is greyed when viewed in the application meaning that formatting needs to be done.

Once the Add New Disk tool is run you can then restore the image to the disk.

Lse
Regular Poster

So in other words,

run cmd line as admin, the diskpart clean command on the 2TB target disk to make disk UNALLOCATED.

THIS CAN BE DONE IN ANOTHER PC... connected USB...correct?

AFTER Connect HDD to PC - boot from Acronis Media TI 2020 - go to Tools

Add New Disk

Add HDD

Go Recover wizard 

Choose tibx backup after to choose destination the HDD that is Unallocated and recover to HDD... 

correct ?

Beginner

I think the HDD 2TB disk is gone/dead --- see attachment

USB connected but shows 0B unknown

I HAVE TO TAKE OTHER DISK???

Attachment Size
530509-179734.jpg 290.53 KB
Beginner

this other disk is ok to use - see attachment

seems good but has some errors Not many

Attachment Size
530510-179738.jpg 447.78 KB
Beginner

I made 2TB HDD unallocated

WHAT TO CHOOSE HERE

when ADD-DISK

to Acronis TI 2020 bootable media??? see attachment - where understand that the C: SSD was GPT or MBR , SO RECOVER TO CORRECT TYPE ?

CAN UNDERSTAND from tibx backup? 

Attachment Size
530516-179740.jpg 95.82 KB
Lse
Regular Poster

ACCORDING TO THIS PC Startup [SSD disconncted] is OS/PC ... GPT or MBR?

see and screenshot before... so choose from the recover-to unallocated HDD [add-Disk Bootable media] the GPT or MBR? ...

can an SSD or HDD where is MBR to transformed to GPT...? or vice versa? What to choose for the recover-to disk?

Exist and a video further above[#9] that shows the failed SSD boot process connected sata as c: and enters Windows 7 Pro recovery tools mode... due failure upgrade to Windows 10...

Legend

If your original computer where the SSD came from is able to get into the BIOS settings, then look at what is shown for the boot device?

If this is shown as 'Windows Boot Manager' then this is a UEFI / GPT boot system.

If the boot device is shown as the SSD by make or name, then it is Legacy / MBR boot.

The other check, is to look inside your full disk backup image file, and check to see if you see an EFI System partition shown?  If one is present, then it is UEFI / GPT, if not, then it is Legacy / MBR.

Note: when looking inside the .tib / .tibx disk image file, you may just see 'System' where you would need to look inside again to see if EFI is shown?

Forum Hero

If you are trying to recover an image of the Windows 7 disk to the 2TB drive you should format the 2TB drive as MBR.  It is highly unlikely that your Win 7 install on the SSD is a UEFI/GPT installation.  Making the disk MBR is your best bet here.

Lse
Regular Poster

was MBR - I initialize HDD 2TB as this

and recovered backup success to HDD... 2TB

Win 7 Pro booted from HDD 2TB.

Proceed now change disk and recover to SSD from backup?

Needs initialization or format the SSD if the SSD Win 7 has failure upgrade to win 10... and boots to Win 7 Pro recovery tools as above shots shown...? Or this as MBR Not needed and format are done auto during recovery of the backup from Acronis bootable media????

Legend

If the recovered HDD boots fine into Windows 7, then repeat the process for the SSD to get that back to booting into Windows 7 too.

After that, retry the upgrade to Windows 10 using either of the two working drives.

I would recommend clearing the SSD before doing the recovery.

Forum Hero

You can probably fix the SSD so that it boots.  To try, disconnect all drives except the SSD. Boot to the Windows recovery screen that you posted a jpg of earlier.  Once there, run the startup repair option.  It should work.  If not then you can restore the image you have to it.

As Steve says, if you have to recover clear the disk of data prior to recovering. 

Lse
Regular Poster

HOW to clear the SSD Disk, is screwed - difficult remove - and the only access is bootable media Acronis ti 2020 DVD... Or Acronis ti 2018 bootable media?

Forum Hero

You clear the SSD just as did the 2TB drive, diskpart clean command.  Disconnect the 2TB drive from the machine before you restore your image to the SSD.  Windows often times has issues with multiple disks that have more than a single partition and often will select the wrong partition to write the boot code to.  I suspect that is what hosed the SSD with the Win 10 upgrade attempt to begin with.

It is ALWAYS best when upgrading Windows to only have the drive hosting Windows attached to the machine.   This avoids any chance that Windows will become confused and write code to the wrong partition.

Lse
Regular Poster

To use diskpart i have to remove disk and connect it usb-sata-adapter in another PC 

Since is screwed  both sides this is difficult for me

Any other way...?  or try like is now to restore backup, without make it unallocated? 

Or any tool for this in bootable media? 

Forum Hero

You can create a Win 7 install media on a USB stick and use it to boot the machine and run the repair/recovery to access a command prompt and run diskpart.

You can get the installer HERE

A step by step guide to creating the media HERE

When you boot the media and the Install Windows screen appears at the bottom of the window look for Repair your computer.  Click on that to run the repair environment and gain access to a command prompt.

Lse
Regular Poster

or can boot from HDD win 7 pro - connect SSD using SATA to USB cable from its position, and from win 7 cmd as admin use diskpart?

Legend

If the SSD is fixed inside your computer using screws through the casing, then using a USB boot media with WinPE such as either a Windows boot / install media for Win 7 or 10, or else use the Acronis WinPE rescue media created using the Simple method for ATI 2018 - 2020.

See KB 63226: Acronis True Image 2020: how to create bootable media

The key point with using Diskpart is to be 100% sure you pick the correct disk drive to clean!

Lse
Regular Poster

Upgrade failure I think NVIDIA GTX 260 Card error - may the drivers needed update

I retried Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro --- failed for second time - Before do this (after the failed first time) I restored backup to SSD Disk where was Win 7 Pro initially and now is the second failure

I think the Upgrade assistant PASSED the compatibility test --- what must do now???

====

I think NVIDIA Card error - may the drivers needed update

see screenshots - in series which appear in the screen  // first failure sign 

>>>

>>>

appear Windows 7 Login

logged in

>>>

Programs Not Open

after msinfo32 in Windows 7 Pro

for Graphics card getting:

Needed install/Upgrade driver for NVIDIA card????

Can run after this Windows 10 1909...?

Lse
Regular Poster

"

you have a corrupted windows 7, and due to this you will not be able to do a win 7 to 10 upgrade

https://windows10dll.nirsoft.net/shacct_dll.html

" here >> 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/I-think-NVIDIA-GTX-260-Card-error-may-the-drivers-needed/m-p/7486404/highlight/false#M31523

Before do Upgrade - I created restore point - may this bring back Win 7 Pro normal operation?

If Not bring back, are any files to replace to fix --- without reinstalling Windows7 pro???

NVIDIA card drivers - installing

Drivers of Graphics card may be updated by going to the device manager find the device and right-click ...properties and click update drivers

Also along by downloading the driver manually and installing??

I have a DVD Win 10 Upgrade [run setup.exe] 64-bit created 10 Jan 2020.

If I go and upgrade to Win 10 Pro [third time - before I failed twice] with this DVD you recommend as Microsoft recommends download updates during upgrade or Not download or being disconnected from the Internet???

Legend

Go to the NVIDIA web site and look for any updated Windows 10 drivers for your card to see if these are available.

One way to test that your computer is capable of running Windows 10 would be to do a clean install of that version of Windows and check that it will install without any similar issues?  If you have a spare disk drive to install on, that would save having to wipe out your working Windows 7 drive.

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago when upgrading some laptops, 3 laptops upgraded first time from Windows 7 to 10, but the 4th laptop failed every time on the First Boot phase.

The way I solved that problem was to do an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 for the laptop to get back to a clean working Windows 7 system, after which it too upgraded on the next attempt to Windows 10.

Lse
Regular Poster

FOR THE LAST SCREENSHOT when upgrading you always chose the first option: "Download updates, drivers ..." ???

I have a DVD Win 10 Upgrade [run setup.exe] 64-bit created 10 Jan 2020.

If I go and upgrade to Win 10 Pro [third time - before I failed twice] with this DVD you recommend as Microsoft recommends download updates during upgrade or Not download or being disconnected from the Internet???

Legend

Yes, download updates while upgrading, but if this has already failed several times, it is very likely it will continue to fail again.

You need to fix the issues with Windows 7 before trying to upgrade to 10.

Legend

Beginner

is revert back to restore point

and errors seem removed

upgrade driver graphic card then

how understand that indeed windows 7 pro has No errors and ready upgrade to win 10 pro?

Legend

Make a new Acronis backup while all is looking good.

Try running the System Update Readiness tool per the link in my previous post.