Skip to main content

Bootable USB problems.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I am building a new computer and I want to clone my hard drive with the bootable usb so I can keep my Windows license.

I have put the files on the usb and booted to the usb, but it is stuck on a loading screen.

Any idea on how to fix this, or maybe just something I did wrong?

1 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21992

Spencer, welcome to these public User Forums.

Sorry but too little information here?

What version / build of Acronis True Image are you using here / was used to create the bootable USB rescue media?

What BIOS boot mode is your new build PC using to boot into Windows?
Is this a UEFI (with / without secure boot) boot system?
Is it a Legacy / MBR boot system?

What type of disk drive are you using here, what interface is used?
Is it a standard SATA HDD or SSD drive?
Is it a PCIe card type drive, mSATA, NVMe ?

What size of USB stick are you using for the rescue media? 
Note: Microsoft sets a max 32GB size for such media.

See KB 63226: Acronis True Image 2020: how to create bootable media and KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

Forum Star
Comments: 1774

The problem and solution is outlined here https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2020-forum/how-repair-ti-2020-build-22510-boot-disk-created-windows-7-using-simple-option It can apply to some Windows 10 systems as well.

Follow the steps to remove the volsnap UpperFilter from the WinPE registry. As an alternative, you can rebuild the media using the MVP Tool here https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2019-forum/mvp-tool-custom-ati-winpe-builder

Beginner
Comments: 14

Why not just download the .iso file and use Rufus to create either an MBR or UEFI bootable Acronis drive?  Works every time.  Just saying...

Legend
Comments: 21992

If you have ATI 2020 installed, then you don't need to use Rufus etc as you can create all 3 types of rescue media directly from the application using the media builder tool.

All ATI rescue media works with both Legacy/MBR or UEFI/GPT systems.

Beginner
Comments: 14

I tried the PE method - booted from the USB drive, and it made my current drive unbootable. Fortunately I had a backup and created the iso bootable drive with Rufus. Always fall back on what works properly. Easy2boot works as well and I have a drive with both B&R 11.5 and ATI2020 on it along with all the .iso's of Linux and Windows that I use. I've been working with Acronis since it's inception, recommended and installed hundreds of clients and servers on WIndows and Linux when I was working. ATI2020 is such a disappointment. They should go back to the .tib's that always worked. If I were still in the work force I could not recommend ATI2020.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Sorry for not checking up on the forum, but I ended up just using macrium. Thanks so much for your help though, someone else probably used it.

Sorry if I wasted time