Skip to main content

Cannot Lock Disk Error Try Linux-Based Bootable Media - Acronis True Image 2020

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 4

Installed Acronis True Image 2020 latest build on my Dell Desktop running Windows 10 Professional.

When I try to recover I am constantly getting the error "Cannot Lock Disk. Try Linux-Based bootable media".

I noticed there are several older threads on this same error without any resolution. I have disabled Windows 10 Fast Startup as some had suggested would be causing problems.

I have RAID 0 Disk. Been using Notron Ghost 15 on same desktop running Windows 7 for years without any problems. Since Ghost 15 is no longer available in Windows 10, had to switch over to Acronis.

Any advise?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28191

The cannot lock disk error is normally caused by the system not being fully shutdown before attempting to perform a restore as indicated by the presence of a hibernation file (hiberfil.sys).

When doing a shutdown, press & hold a Shift key then click on Shutdown to force a full shutdown then retry the restore.

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

The cannot lock disk error is normally caused by the system not being fully shutdown before attempting to perform a restore as indicated by the presence of a hibernation file (hiberfil.sys).

When doing a shutdown, press & hold a Shift key then click on Shutdown to force a full shutdown then retry the restore.

I tried it. Did not work. Got the exact same error. 

Legend
Comments: 28191

Ok, then try restarting Windows into Safe Mode then restarting into the recovery media, which is known to clear this type of lock issue.

See the update in this topic that is also discussing this same issue.

Beginner

Steve,

Tired this option as well. Did not work. I am getting the same error.  I tried it multiple times with various Safe Mode options (e.g. with networking, without, etc.).  I have given up....

Thank you for your help.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9276

@kartik,

Sometimes a failed Windows update can prevent a disk from being locked to perform a recovery.  I suggest that you run the Windows Troubleshooter found in the link below for your Windows 10 install then run the recovery again.

Windows Update Troubleshooter

Beginner
Comments: 1

I fix this problem with this:

1. I made a windows 10 install disk from Microsoft iso.

2. I run the usb

3. I put a new install but when I made a new partition (I erase the old partitions) then I get out of windows 10 install

4. I put the acronis boot disk, then I ran the restore option and don’t have the problem of error and install in Linux system.

Beginner
Comments: 2

same issue... this is supposed to be a tool .. not a source of frustration... very dissapointed. I gave up on the backups as they take forever then complain that the disk isn't big enough... the target was 2x the size of the source disk and empty... I'm sorry this isn't good enough for a commercial product.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6946

Gary Gray wrote:

same issue... this is supposed to be a tool .. not a source of frustration... very dissapointed. I gave up on the backups as they take forever then complain that the disk isn't big enough... the target was 2x the size of the source disk and empty... I'm sorry this isn't good enough for a commercial product.

Hello Gary,

sorry to know about your negative experience with our software! If you have some time for the investigation, please feel free to open a support ticket, so that our engineers can look into the situation and help.  

Beginner

Gary Gray wrote:

Gary,

I completely understand your frustration. I went through the same. Spent countless hours trying to get it to work.

I have to say, Acronis Support Staff was very helpful but unable to solve the problem.

Stopped using Acronis. 

Using Windows 7 System Image Utility which is also available on Windows 10. Working flawlessly for over a year now.