Skip to main content

Can't change compression level

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 32

I made three backups this evening, but from first to last I was unable to change the compression level (it was greyed out at Normal). I did not set any settings as default either. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 26390

Michael, compression can only be set when a task is first created and before it is run for the first time.  After the task has created the first full backup, compression cannot be altered.  The same applies to encryption too.

Forum Member

Thanks Steve, but the first of the three backups was the first created task.  I was able to change the compression after doing an uninstall and reinstall.  I hope that isn't always required when setting preferences.

Kind regards,

Michael

Legend

Michael, it has always been necessary to set some settings such as compression when creating a task after which they are set in stone and cannot be changed again.  Uninstalling / reinstalling shouldn't make any difference in this respect as far as I understand.

Forum Member

Be it as it may, Steve, I was able to change the compression level after doing a reinstall.  If I make three unique full backups (all first versions) then shouldn't I be able to change the compression level for each one?

Kind regards,

Michael

Legend

Michael, no - once you have create a full backup then compression is set for that task and cannot be changed.  At least, that is how it has always worked and is my understanding here.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6627

Steve Smith wrote:

Michael, no - once you have create a full backup then compression is set for that task and cannot be changed.  At least, that is how it has always worked and is my understanding here.

I can confirm that setting compression and encryption values is only possible before the actual archive creation (during the first configuration of a backup plan)

Beginner
Comments: 1

I have created the FIRST custom schedule and in the advanced options under performance the compression level IS GRAYED OUT! I have not even started a backup at all.

I have been a tech for 20 years, I've used different forms of Acronis products in those years and when all said and done Acronis is NOT a rock-solid solution! I've seen failures in restores and failures in backing up.

The only option that I can say works is the cloning of a disk.

We use Acronis for our clients that are on a tight budget!

Legend

Christopher, welcome to these public User Forums.

Did you save the new task using the option to Backup Later, as that may count as the same with locking the settings such as Compression?

I have never really seen any real benefit of changing the default compression settings on any of my tasks as it may give a small savings in file size but can take longer to complete because of additional processing to achieve that saving.  Disk storage is relatively inexpensive to negate worrying about saving a few GB of image file size by using higher compression levels.

Forum Member
Comments: 80

There are certainly legitimate reasons to want to change the compression level. It really depends on how fast your CPU is, and how fast your backup device is, which can include a networked drive. You don't want the compression to be make the local CPU the bottleneck - as it certainly is on my systems, when using the highest compression setting in Acronis. On the other hand, using no compression will normally make your I/O (backup drive, network) the bottleneck instead of CPU. But you will also waste space, which is undesirable. Personally, with my 10 Gbps LAN, I turn off compression altogether in Acronis, and I turn on compression in ZFS on my NAS. YMMV.

I think it's a very silly limitation that Acronis doesn't let you change the compression setting after creating the initial backup job.