Skip to main content

Clone Disc using USb Dock? ( Win7)

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 31

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop running Win7 Premium. My question is can I clone a disc using my Thermaltake Black X HD dock using the USB cable?

My PC does not have a esata port and I just wanted to double check that this would work? Its much simpler than crawling under my desk to get the PC out and install a HD in it to clone ;-)

I have not done this in a long time, can I do thing just by opening my acronis on my desktop and choosing close a disc or muct I use the Acronis boot disc and use it that way?

On another note does this site a option to be notified when you get a answer?

Thanks

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28229

Forum Member

I have done before, question is will it work using a usb cable to the dock and not a esata one.

I read some where that you could not clone to a usb drive, that is the big  question?

Is a usb cable to the dock still.consideref a usb drive?

It's a simple question and the links are great but much is over my head.

Back the second  question  can I just click on my acronis on my desktop and  open the dashboard and just click on clone link in there?

If not I will just do from the boot disc.

Thanks 

Legend

The preferred connection method for an external drive is using USB, ideally USB 3.1 for best performance / speed.

The clone operation should work from within Windows if using the Active Clone option but whether that cloned disk drive will be bootable when needed is a different question?

Is the source disk drive installed in the PC being used to perform the clone operation?  Or is it a drive from a different PC?

Will the cloned disk drive be used in the PC being used to create it?

Acronis has an annoying (to some) habit of installing device drivers in cloned drives to match the hardware of the PC where the clone is created, which can cause issues at times.

Forum Member

Yes the source if from my C: drive inside my PC and cloned disc will be used in the same PC, I do not know what usb speed I have but  will give it a try .

Another question and it is a simple one can I used the cloned disc in my dock to clone back to the HD in my PC? Worse case is that I screw up a restore from my Acronis backup and I just would restore my HD directly from the cloned disc in my dock.

I have done this before choosing the incorrect drive letter when I went to restore ;-)

Many thanks for making  it very simple for myself.

To me the biggest pain is that Acronis like to play with the drive letters here. I really have to be careful that I pick the correct one as they are always not at they appear ;-)

Legend

Another question and it is a simple one can I used the cloned disc in my dock to clone back to the HD in my PC? Worse case is that I screw up a restore from my Acronis backup and I just would restore my HD directly from the cloned disc in my dock.

The simple answer is yes... but... if you are doing this from Windows it will require to reboot the PC to continue the process which then will use a small temporary Linux environment to boot from, so it is better to do the clone from your bootable Acronis rescue media in the first place.

With drive letters, it is best to give the partitions clear name labels to make it easier to identify the correct drive.  The internal drive should always shows as Disk 0 (in Windows).

Forum Member

Ok now I have a mress,

I did the backup to the external HD in the dock,, chose automatic and then let it run, It shut down and i did not set it to turnb off when done.

When I restarted I got the screen that the PC needed to be repaired so I just started again with the cloned drive out and it started normally.

Now when I looked in my computer I see that  it looks like it back nto my C: drive and created a new  partition called H? It does show healthy but not active. Now could I just delete that H partition?

If not how do I fix? Doe s restore from my acronis boot disc?

I tell you I'm batting a thousand today ;-( Please bear with myself I'm recovering from eye surgery and sight if for shiX

Attachment Size
607119-341246.JPG 170.13 KB
607119-341249.JPG 197.47 KB
607119-341252.JPG 159.8 KB
607119-341255.JPG 122.81 KB
607119-341258.JPG 160.46 KB
Legend

The screen images are not showing extra disk drives but partitions on your main OS drive where the H: partition looks to be a second EFI System Partition from a prior OS installation.  All you need to do is to open Windows disk management and remove the drive letter from H: then ignore it given it is only 40MB in size.

Forum Member

Ok. 

So I also ran a ckdsk on my clone hd and did a format. 

Now running again directly from my pc acronis one disc. 

This time it running very diffetent,  what I did not see before was a lite red dot or x on.the clone page when I went to run.

So the ckfsk.and reformat must of fixed that issue.  Few more hours and will know and I will report bac

I was able to remove the extra in my c drive. The unallocated space I could not. But the other is gone

On another note if I just did a restore from my acronis boot would that set the C drive partitions back to normal?

Thank you so much for the help so fro . I wish that made a back - up / clone for dummies w/ 1 click 

Attachment Size
607124-341259.JPG 475.75 KB
607124-341262.JPG 469.36 KB
607124-341265.JPG 444.99 KB
Acronis Support
Comments: 237

Dear Escorial,

Disk C restore from the backup could solve the problem with the disk layout.