Skip to main content

Encrypted Images (Metadata & Restore)

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

Hello,

regarding the encryption of images on Acronis True Image I have the following questions:

1) What exactly is encrypted if I encrypt an image e.g. via AES256? Is there any metadata (e.g. drive names, file lists, etc.) inside the encrypted image which could be read out without decrypting the image?

2) Is it possible to restore encrypted images directly back to the original drives using the True Image Rescue Media or are there any additional steps required for restoring encrypted images?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28196

Thomas, welcome to these public User Forums.

Please see the ATI 2020 User Guide: Backup protection - for detailed information provided by Acronis.

My personal understanding is that encryption is applied to each block of data that Acronis writes to the destination .tib / .tibx archive file, where there are many thousands of such blocks of data within a typical backup file.  As such, there is no discernable data visible within the archive file that could help anyone without the encryption key to discover what the contents are.

Any encrypted backup can be restored / recovered as with any other non-encrypted backup, so this can be done using rescue media and the password to decrypt the file will be requested automatically.

Forum Hero
Comments: 4937

Steve Smith wrote:

My personal understanding is that encryption is applied to each block of data that Acronis writes to the destination .tib / .tibx archive file, where there are many thousands of such blocks of data within a typical backup file.  As such, there is no discernable data visible within the archive file that could help anyone without the encryption key to discover what the contents are.

It makes sense that encryption is done for each block of data; it would be necessary for deduplication, for implementing cleanup and doing recovery.

Ian