Skip to main content

File Backups to External USB Drive

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 2

In addition to the full backup I started after getting my new computer's system set up the way I wanted it, with all of my file libraries arranged as well (for which I'm using the differential scheme), I want to keep a full backup of each library.

I already have a backup of those files (made just over a month ago, now), that I had started before moving to the new computer, and that I updated shortly after getting things setup on the new computer...using the painstaking method of disk-to-disk copying and comparing folder properties, etc.

Now I would like to KEEP those files updated at least once a month, on that same drive.

When I look through the instructions for the CLOUD backups, it tells me that after the initial backup, only changes are made in following file backups. It does NOT tell me that, when it talks about file backups made to external hard drives.

Can someone please tell me how this works?

Also, will I be able to simply update the existing files through Acronis, or will I need to start a whole new library system, and then update from there? I'm OK with that...I just need to know.

For instance, in the copy on my F drive there's a folder for My Documents. If I set a backup to be made of all the selected folders and files, will it simply copy in EVERYTHING, or will it only copy in files that have been changed since I made the original backup on my own?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 19797

Linda, welcome to these public User Forums.

Backups to the Acronis Cloud and those to local drives work differently.

For Cloud backups, a full backup image is uploaded only once at the beginning, thereafter only changes are uploaded.  This is to minimise the amount of data being uploaded across potentially slow internet connections.

For local backups to such as an external USB drive, then you have more options to choose from in terms of both the Backup Scheme (Full, Incremental, Differential) and the Schedule etc.

The user has the final choice in these matters but all backups start with a Full backup image and then follows the chosen scheme for the number of further backups to be created before making a further new full backup again.

I would recommend reading through the first few sections of the ATI 2020 User Guide which will give you a good introduction to how to use the application and how the various backup schemes, cleanup rules / retension rules, scheduling etc work.

Beginner

Thank you, Steve Smith.

I went back and re-read the information to which you pointed, and I still don't know the answer to my question regarding my existing, handmade backup files.

Let me ask this, specifically...

My "handmade" backup is set up with folders for all of the following:

Downloads
Documents
Pictures
Videos
AppData

Inside of those folders are full backups of everything the way it was the day that I set up Acronis to do my first full system backup.

I have gone into Acronis and set the file backup scheme (unscheduled) to be ONLY incremental, and I am holding off until I get the answer to the following question.

Will Acronis recognize my existing file backups that are inside those folders, and simply DO the incremental backup (which I interpret as meaning that it will read the files and determine whether or not files have been changed, and then backup only the necessary changes)?

If such is not the case, then I will simply keep my existing backup, and use a different USB drive to do a version chain type of file backup, probably every two weeks.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer that question.

Forum Star
Comments: 1025

Linda Wingfield wrote:

My "handmade" backup is set up with folders for all of the following:

Downloads
Documents
Pictures
Videos
AppData

Inside of those folders are full backups of everything the way it was the day that I set up Acronis to do my first full system backup.

I have gone into Acronis and set the file backup scheme (unscheduled) to be ONLY incremental, and I am holding off until I get the answer to the following question.

Will Acronis recognize my existing file backups that are inside those folders, and simply DO the incremental backup (which I interpret as meaning that it will read the files and determine whether or not files have been changed, and then backup only the necessary changes)?

If such is not the case, then I will simply keep my existing backup, and use a different USB drive to do a version chain type of file backup, probably every two weeks.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer that question.

I may have misinterpreted what you have just said.  You said "My "handmade" backup is set up with folders for all of the following:...".  Are you talking about a backup made by ATI - .tib or .tibx files - or just a copy of the original directories and files?  If the latter, ATI will not recognized these as abckups because, as far as ATI is concerned, they are not backups; they are just direcoties and/or files.

If create a "Files and folders" backup task in ATI and specify Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Videos, and AppData as the source, ATI will initially take a full backup and will take incremental; backups on subsequent invocations.  As Steve said, the backup chain will always start with a full backup as a basis for subsequent incremental backups.

Be aware that ATI requires an intact chain of full + incremental backups in order to be usable for recovery.  The longer the chain, the greater chance that a damaged file will break the chain.  It is best to devise backup schemes that starts a new chain after 5 or 6 incrementals.  I've been using ATI for over 10 years hand have never had a damaged backup chain (except once when I accidentally deleted a backup) but Murphy's law dictates that it will happen.

Beginner

Thank you, Patrick O'Keefe.

You did, indeed interpret my question correctly. I had previously copied & pasted all of the library files onto a USB drive. I understand, now, that Acronis will not recognize those files, so I will commence a regular files backup (using an original, 4 incrementals, original, etc. scheme) on another drive.

Again...thank you. :-D

Forum Star
Comments: 1025

Linda Wingfield wrote:
...I had previously copied & pasted all of the library files onto a USB drive. I understand, now, that Acronis will not recognize those files...

Just to clarify for anyone else new to ATI, ATI will not recognize those files as backups (because they are not; they are just copies of the originals).  ATI wil recognize them as files that it can back up (if you wanted to do that).