Skip to main content

FIXED - ATIH 2020 - Systray for running jobs started "by event"

Thread solved
Forum Star
Comments: 1826

When a backup job is set to "on event" - Attached Disk there is no trayicon that shows the running job similar to scheduled planned job by date or manual launch. Can you please fix this, users are not aware that the job is still running, as the Acronis Info Center does only show finished events, too and this may cause to shutdown a device prior completion. Thank you very much!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21411

Karl, I would agree that there should be an obvious indication when any backup task is active, so this should include any started using 'On Event' with the exception of perhaps at Shutdown or Restart, as the desktop is likely to be 'lost' from view at those points.

It is possible to employ a Pre and Post Command for such 'On Event' tasks that would make the user aware that a backup was active. 

The attached zip file contains 2 simple .BAT files that launch a Powershell script with a single parameter and which changes the desktop background image to show the text 'Acronis Backup is active' in the Pre command, then back to normal again in the Post command.  I have included 2 very basic BMP background images that the script uses to demonstrate, plus a screen image of how the Pre / Post commands look.

Note: the batch files are written to run from the C:\temp folder (as shown above).

This is offered as a work-around for any users not wanting to wait for Acronis to answer your feature request and implement it in a future build or version!

Attachment Size
525917-178317.zip 35.79 KB
Forum Star

Thank you Steve, never thought about this bridge.

This could be a temporary solution, is there a way to start up the monitor manually without starting ATIH 2020 ?

Legend

This could be a temporary solution, is there a way to start up the monitor manually without starting ATIH 2020 ?

Karl, sorry but not sure I understand what you are asking with 'start up the monitor manually without starting ATIH 2020'?

Forum Star

Ok I rephrase.

If you setup a job e.g. starting by event > when I attach a disk (once a day) and you do attach a disk there is no activity of the backup process in the systray, as you agreed.

As soon you open ATIH this monitor will be launched in systray showing the progress of the backup.

So it seems like your idea with the bat files need to "launch" an exe file that causes the systray icon to come up, but I need to check which of this is. Do you know the process name for systray from your long experience?

Legend

Ok, Karl, I think I understand now but would need to try to test this scenario for myself. 

I thought that TrueImageMonitor.exe gave the system tray status icon but this shows as being active in Task Manager even when no backup operations are happening, so may only be the facilitor for other processes to be launched!

The other processes involved are TrueImageHomeNotify and TrueImageHomeService along with TrueImage.exe and Backup_Worker.exe.

For a Disk backup task, backup_worker will be active to perform the main operation.
Launching TrueImage.exe will bring up the ATI GUI.
TrueImageHomeService is involved for .tib tabs if I remember correctly but may also be present for .tibx too?

I would suggest looking at what processes are shown in Task Manager and see if all of the above are active / running or not?  I suspect that maybe TrueImageHomeNotify is the one not being started in this 'On event' scenario?  So if you find this is not active / running, try launching it to see if it brings the system tray status icon?

Forum Hero
Comments: 6699

Hallo Karl Wester-Ebbinghaus,

Wenn ich ein Backup "Bei Ereignis" - "Wenn externes Laufwerk angeschlossen wird" - "Nur einmal pro Tag" starte, kommt bei mir das Acronis Symbol in der Infoleiste und zeigt auch den Fortschritt an, ohne das die ATI 2020 Benutzeroberfläche gestartet sein muss.

Schon mal auf den Haken geklickt, ob sich das Symbol weiter oben versteckt?

Attachment Size
526265-178437.GIF 11.14 KB
Forum Star

Hallo Günter, ich werde das nochmal prüfen aber ich meine es war so eingestellt, das der Systray keine Icons "versteckt"

Legend

Karl, I have to agree with Günter after setting up a test on my own laptop using 'On event' for when my external drive is connected.  I am seeing the normal ATI status icon in the system tray showing the task is running and percentage complete as expected.

If the ATI GUI is not open, then I also see a message fly-out to advise that the on event backup task is about to start as well as the status icon.

Forum Star

Hi everyone, thanks for reproing and yes I can confirm the systray will come up as requested in the OP. 

I wonder how I could have overlooked this on 3 computers but apparently "show all icons on systray" was not set, so they were grouped / shown in the expansion part of the systray (chevron).

Thanks again for your help!