Skip to main content

"latest backup has been stopped / Consider checking the disk using Check Disk Utility"

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 16

I'm getting really fed up with Acronis TI2020 (Build 24.7.38530) failing to do a simple backup to my NAS and also (after installing a 4TB internal HDD) local disk.  It wouldn't be so bad except the error messages are so generic.

I'm currently getting:

The latest backup has been stopped.  It will be restarted at HH.MM

File system error is found. Consider checking the disk using Check Disk Utility

There's no indication as to which disk/partition is at fault or even if it is the source disk or target!

I've ran a full sector scandisk on all drives and no errors were reported.

A bit lost as to what to do now.

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner

So I've extracted a few of the Backup Worker logs using the new MVP Assistant tool.

They all appear to finish with an error and a reference to a path that doesn't exist on my computer - namely:

18/10/2021 11:07:18:993 PM +01:00 13296 I00000000: type=commonerror; value=?5cA??@?A backup error.$moduleAdisk_backup_vs_650$fileAc:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\da_api\backup.cpp$funcAda_backup::Commit$lineNa??(????Read error.$moduleAdisk_backup_vs_650$fileAc:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\resizer\archive3\backup_partition.cpp$funcA`anonymous-namespace'::PartitionBackuper::ReadDrive$lineNeZ????v???Failed to read the snapshot.$moduleAdisk_backup_vs_650$fileAc:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\fdisk\win_snapshot.cpp$funcAwin_snapshot_volume::IoOp$lineN?U?R?*{??CRC error.$moduleAdisk_backup_vs_650$fileAc:\jenkins_agent\workspace\mod-disk-backup\650\product\core\fdisk\ver2\arch\windows\win_errors.cpp$funcAFdisk::AddKstatusError$lineN+=; id=1;

c:\jenkins_agent\ doesn't even exist on my machine. 

Attachment Size
590251-295508.zip 40.28 KB
Forum Hero
Comments: 9132

The reference to jenkins_agent is an Acronis internal notation and is meaningless to users.

What I see in your error logs reference to "Failed to read the snapshot".  This suggests that an area of free space on your source drive which likely holds the snapshot created of the data to backup has corruption in the filesystem.  File system errors are not physical errors on the disk itself but rather in the format of the file structure.

Run chkdsk /f on all partitions of the source disk.  If the disk contains hidden partitions temporarily assign a drive letter to such partitions and then run chkdsk /f on each then remove the drive letter assignment when finished.

Beginner

Thanks for getting back.

I suspected c:\jenkins_agent\ must be a reference to a developer's machine or similar.

Interesting.  I can't find any reference to "Failed to read the snapshot" in my log files!  Assuming it is there somewhere though, I've followed your advice...

Attached is a screenshot of my local disks (ATI Disks.png).

The B:\ drive is my backup destination and was freshly installed, partitioned and formatted yesterday prior to making it the backup destination.  I only installed it to simplify and speed up the backup process as I was getting errors backing up to my NAS and it would take ages to complete a 550GB backup. 

As for source disks/partitions:

• I've already done a chkdsk /scan /f on the C drive (being the OS drive, this was performed on a reboot). No problems found or further action required.
  • I've scanned the D: drive - again no problems found or further action required (see attached)
  • I temporarily assigned E: to the Disk 2 System Reserved partition (50MB) and did a chkdsk /F on this too.  This said that errors were found and fixed. (see attached).

The rest of Disk 0 is not part of the backup and I cannot assign drive letters to the recovery partitions so I'm going to retry the backup now in light the errors fixed above.

Oh, and one final thing... I've switched on "sector-by-sector" backup (not free space sectors though).  I thought this was on already, but if there are File System errors, I suspect backing at the sector level would ignore File System related errors as it wouldn't need to query the File System at all.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Attachment Size
590266-295536.png 61.74 KB
590266-295539.txt 2.47 KB
590266-295541.txt 2.2 KB
Beginner

Fab.  I backup has completed successfully.  This error appears to be down to the fact that there was a corruption on the 50MB Reserved partition that Windows sets up.  The fix was to map a drive and run chkdsk /F /S on it.  But the fault could be on any partition - it's a shame the Acronis Logs don't point to the drive/partition at fault really.

The other possible reason for the fix was switching on "sector-by-sector" backup which I assume would bypass the filesystem.

Thanks.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9132

Chris,

Glad to hear of your success.  I suspect that in your reply you meant to say chkdsk /f option rather than /S as /S does not exist.  Nevertheless, the fix was the chkdsk run and not the sector by sector backup approach.  File system error scans are performed by the Acronis app on all backup tasks executed so selecting sector by sector would have no effect on the outcome of a backup run.

Beginner

Yes /F, not /S. Well spotted.  Thanks for the extra info - useful to know. Cheers.