Skip to main content

mount tibx file

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 2

Hello,

In TI2020, it's not possible to mount a TIBX file. It's a temporary limitation or this functionnality available in TI2019 will not be present for TI2020?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 9276

Backup mounting is not present in 2020 for the new format. Not sure of the status of this feature nor if it will be available for the format.  The Release notes simply say it is unavailable.

Release Notes

Beginner

It's true....

After different tests I found a way to mount the image.

Iif you open your TIBX file with the program TI2020 (right-clic on the ftibx file... 'open with..'), in the bottom left of TI2020, they are a button 'Explore files'.

A mouting point is done in the explorer with a new letter and a tree with all directory/files are available.

It's less faster than the right-clic 'mount image' but it works, and the result is the same !

Forum Hero

Hmm, you are correct!  Nice find.  Would you mind marking this this thread as Solved?

Legend
Comments: 28191

Bob, can you post some screen shots for this method of mounting a .tibx file please?  Just tried myself and just end in the main ATI 2020 GUI with no mounted drive?

What actual file is being selected here for 'Open with..'?

Forum Hero

Steve,

Select the backup in the GUI then select Open location. 

This opens the file in Explorer. 

Now,  right click on the file, in my case I get a Windows Security warning that opening the file may be dangerous, click OK to dismiss the warning and a context menu will result.

Look down the menu for Open with and click on it.

This will open a Windows file association box asking if you want to open the file with Explorer, tick the Use this app to always use Explorer to open .tibx files, now click OK

This will result in a new window showing the various version of the backup chain.

The next time you wish to explore a backup after you answer the always use Explorer option just select Open from the context menu and you will see the new window appear.

:)

Legend

Thanks Bob, but I do not see this mounting the .tibx file to a drive letter, just exploring the content of the .tibx archive which I can do by double-clicking on the file?

Forum Hero

Yeah, your right.  Not the same thing I know but does allow access to backup contents.  The actual mounting of the backup to a drive letter is something that I would like to see returned to the app.  It was a great way to verify a backup  would boot when recovered. 

I wonder if validation has been improved to the point that it serves the same purpose?  The documentation sure makes it sound that way.

Forum Star
Comments: 1211

Enchantech wrote:

Steve,

Select the backup in the GUI then select Open location. 

This opens the file in Explorer. 

You can also just do it directly from File Explorer rather than starting from the ATI GUI. Treat it as though you were processing a Files and Folders backup.

My impression from something I read during the Beta test was that the Mount function was just temporarily missing, but I could have been misinterpreting what I read.

Forum Hero
Comments: 4934

Patrick O'Keefe wrote:
My impression from something I read during the Beta test was that the Mount function was just temporarily missing, but I could have been misinterpreting what I read.

That is my impression also. The User Guide for Backup 12.5 suggests that you can mount backups, if so, it should be able to be done in ATI 2020. 

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6946

Hello Everyone,

mounting is currently not available for the .TIBX archive (planned for Update 2, not the next one)

Beginner

Hello Ekaterina,

You are right for a tibx file for a disk/partition backup.

But for a mobile device backup tibx file, when you explore the file, TI mounts the file with a new drive letter and it's possible to explore the all directory.

Good news if the function will be available in the Update 2.

Legend

Acronis mobile .tibx files are not mounted to a drive letter, but are opened to the drive letter that is assigned to the Acronis Drive feature which defaults to M:  so this is not the same thing as being discussed for ATI backup .tibx files.

Beginner
Comments: 12

Ekaterina wrote:

Hello Everyone,

mounting is currently not available for the .TIBX archive (planned for Update 2, not the next one)

Is Update 2 released meanwhile?

Legend

Update 2 is build 22510 released in November but didn't include this option to fix the issue of mounting .tibx files.

You can still use 'double-click' on all .tib & .tibx files in Explorer to navigate the contents and be able to use Copy & Paste controls.

JCO
Beginner

This helped a lot.  But actually if you right click the .tbix file and select "Open in New Window", you will see the details very similar to mounting the file.